[TEASER] Massdrop x ??? - New Custom In-Ear Monitor available September
Oct 1, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #466 of 677
Soo... waiting for my check to deposit hurt me in getting on the MD website.

Will I have to wait for another drop? What if I send it directly to you Piotr?? 

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #468 of 677
  Soo... waiting for my check to deposit hurt me in getting on the MD website.

Will I have to wait for another drop? What if I send it directly to you Piotr?? 

If you placed your order but your payment didn't went through, I'm sure Massdrop can try charging your account again in few days.
However if you didn't place your order, there's not much Massdrop can do to add you I'm afraid. It would be best for Will to chime in on this, but so far that's my understanding of things.

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #470 of 677
So much discussion about the cable, rather than CIEMs :wink:

For those who are interested, visit Index page of my Reviews on Head-fi: http://www.head-fi.org/t/755971/twister6-audio-review-index-the-past-the-present-and-the-future and scroll all the way down to MISC section where I have done testing and comparison of all Linum cables (Music, BaX, Balanced, and Super Balanced BaX in different posts).  Keep in mind, all those are mmcx based connectors, and I only have Linum BaX in 2-pin.

I don't expect people to hear differences on the same level because our hearing is different, we use different test tracks and hardware sources, and also different IEMs/CIEMs for comparison.  In my testing of Ei.xx with stock vs Linum BaX with my summit-fi and mid-fi sources (AK120ii, L5 Pro, LP5, N6, N5, QA360) and various audio files (from 320kbps mp3s to FLAC and DSD), I'm hearing a definitive level of refinement, especially in retrieval of details in upper mids/treble.  It does feels like a faint layer of veil is lifted off.  With my Whiplash TWag v3 pure silver cable, signature changed a bit, making sound a bit more mid-forward with vocals more in your face, brighter and more balanced signature in comparison to a stock cable with warmer and more v-shaped sig.  It's just how I'm hearing it.  With BaX the change is not as drastic but more of a refinement, especially with detail retrieval and tightening up the bass.  In my opinion, $45 Linum BaX upgrade option is more cost/performance efficient than $350 TWag v3 option.  Just telling you my subjective opinion without hyping things up or down...

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #471 of 677
I hear you @twister6 but then at the same time we have a bunch of guys here many of whom are buying their first ciem and/or first high-end iem.
I remember the emotional trainwreck I was when I fist bought my H8Ps in pre-order, stepping up from SA7s... and trust me I'm pretty sure @piotrus-g does too (sorry man) !

Oct 1, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #472 of 677
If it was my first custom I would go for the Ei.3 or Music lineup, before jumping into a high end custom. Customs are what I prefer but they are not for everyone.

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #473 of 677
Is there a ownership transfer policy with the Ei.xx?

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #474 of 677
Don't jump into a conclusion about cables yet :)  No matter how great they sound paired up with one set of IEMs/CIEMs, it doesn't guarantee the same synergy with another one.  I found pure copper cables to smooth sound and to improve low end impact, with some IEMs.  Unfortunately, a lot of my aftermarket cables have mmcx connectors so I can't test it with Ei.xx, but I have a feeling that pure copper might not be a good match for Ei.xx because you are going to shift sound more toward a darker low end side.  I could be wrong and this is a pure speculation, but IMHO I think Ei.xx will benefit more from cables with silver in it to brighten up a sound, giving a little more edge instead of "smoothing" out that edge.

Number of drivers / driver configuration does not affect the sound signature. Tuning does. No?

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #475 of 677

Don't jump into a conclusion about cables yet
smily_headphones1.gif
  No matter how great they sound paired up with one set of IEMs/CIEMs, it doesn't guarantee the same synergy with another one.  I found pure copper cables to smooth sound and to improve low end impact, with some IEMs.  Unfortunately, a lot of my aftermarket cables have mmcx connectors so I can't test it with Ei.xx, but I have a feeling that pure copper might not be a good match for Ei.xx because you are going to shift sound more toward a darker low end side.  I could be wrong and this is a pure speculation, but IMHO I think Ei.xx will benefit more from cables with silver in it to brighten up a sound, giving a little more edge instead of "smoothing" out that edge.

Number of drivers / driver configuration does not affect the sound signature. Tuning does. No?

I'm not sure if your questions was related to a part of my previous reply that you quoted?

Cable is not going to drastically change a sound signature, but it can change sound characteristics by making it brighter or darker, more revealing or bassier, even make sound perception louder.  It's one complicated formula with a lot of variables.  My point was that just because one specific cable worked great with another specific pair of IEM/CIEMs, it doesn't guarantee the same synergy with a different pair of CIEMs.

Regarding # of drivers/config/crossover/tuning, it's all part of that same complicated cooking formula that masterminds like Piotr come up with
biggrin.gif
  I'm just a happy listener who gets a chance to enjoy and comment on it
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #477 of 677
Oct 2, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #479 of 677
Someone sold you a Ei.xx?

Haha, no.
I was just wondering about the difference in a Massdrop version and Customart's own IEMs.
Since Customart normally offers ownership transfer.
No plans to sell mine at all!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back