[TEASER] Massdrop x ??? - New Custom In-Ear Monitor available September
Sep 1, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #257 of 677
Always been holding of customs in favor of universals.Because what if I don't like them... but this is certainly very interesting. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #260 of 677
  If I want a universal version like those which are given to shops as demo units, can that be done? Also, if it can, will there still be customization options for the shell?

As said before. There will be universal version once we design it and manufacture it and it meets our standards. I think in such case universals will have pretty limited shell options.

Sep 2, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #262 of 677
Silly question, but how to you properly read these graphs?  Is there an easy way to learn?  I've seen graphs in audio mags for years, but never really cared about graphs.  So many of you seem to feel you can learn much more about headphones using them, so i thought I'd ask as I'm sure I'm not the only one.  thanks.

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #263 of 677
  Silly question, but how to you properly read these graphs?  Is there an easy way to learn?  I've seen graphs in audio mags for years, but never really cared about graphs.  So many of you seem to feel you can learn much more about headphones using them, so i thought I'd ask as I'm sure I'm not the only one.  thanks.

This is a great place to start. Easy to follow and not too TL;DR-ey

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-one#6JFAixwoG8U7R0Ts.97

Obvious PS: Do not base your purchase decision solely on measurements(unless there is absolutely no option). There are many subjective parameters that count too.

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #264 of 677
quick & dirty info:
http://www.headphone.com/pages/evaluating-headphones
http://www.centerpointaudio.com/HowToUnderstandSoundFrequencyResponseGraph.aspx
http://www.rha-audio.com/ie/articles/understand-frequency-response-part-ii/

basically, the FR curve will show you the sound signature of the headphones. above 10kHz is generally inaccurate. FR curves can only be used as relative comparison points. Different measurement techniques will result in different results and repeated measurements will have variability. Differing positioning/insertion depth can have quite a profound impact on measured FR. Only use measurements made by the same source for comparison. FR curves will give you a rough guideline of the sound signature, but there are other aspects of sound quality that can also have an affect on perceived sound such as transient response.

Different FR curves will only have different compensations applied. Different ear shapes will also have different FR curve measurements. Different people also have different sensitivities to various regions of the FR. Use FR curves as a relative comparison point in supplementation to personal listening tests.

This is a really good resource for more detailed info: http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements-explained

edit: hypothetically, the ideal measurement is a straight line for a uncolored sound. However, headphone measurements cannot be done using a free field (no reflective surfaces for sound), so compensation is required. There will be interaction with sound waves and your ears, so measurements need to be taken at the eardrum of an individual ear shape. The compensation applied should be what your ear hears if your head is in a free field. A FR measurement for headphone measurements is usually compensated and different compensations/ear shapes can vary the result. Need to check whether you are looking at a raw measurement or compensated measurement, and that is why it is difficult to compare FR measurements from different sources as there are other confounding variables that will affect the FR curve.

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #265 of 677

For every frequency, the higher the line is, the louder it is. Ao that 7kHz peak means that any signal (sound) at 7khz will sound louder. 

Edit: Ah nice info, thanks!

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #266 of 677
Thanks guys. I made some basic assumptions that seem correct.  I never used graphs because I was always able to listen to home audio before a purchase, however IEM or CEIM's are different. I just got back from Japan and went to a great store in Osaka.  I was able to listen to the JH Lab iem's as well as Campfire Audio and a few others I just didn't like.  I really liked the top of the line JH Audio as it was neutral and still musically involving.  I liked the Campfire Audio Lyra I think it was called for something lower priced.  Some of the other's I heard I could barely discern the bass notes at all.  The price points of these iem's are above what we are talking about here or for the Savant's.  Can anyone give me an idea of how these would sound vs the Campfire or Roxanne (I think that was JH Audio's just over 1k device)?  

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #267 of 677

Although not directly related to measurements I find this resource pretty useful when looking at frequency range;

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #268 of 677
So I made my appointment with the audiologist.  I was told they use Westone pink silicone material for impressions. Will that work?  It's only $50 which was nice to hear.  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back