[TEASER] Massdrop x ??? - New Custom In-Ear Monitor available September
Aug 26, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #226 of 677

Pretty much this ^
Customization options are going to be cheaper then normally and there will be a new color introduced - white transparent (as in promo pictures) as Massdrop standard color.

I always thought Massdrop's standard color is black, just like the AK7XX and the DT880. Well, the white transparent looks nice too!

Sigh, too many TOTL customs lately to consider......

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #228 of 677
Wow less than $600 for a 6-driver CIEM, what a steal! Kudos piotrus-g for creating an affordable CIEM for us. 
smile.gif

From the tuning & description, I take this CIEM is made mainly for EDM? How vocal sounds with this CIEM?

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #229 of 677
Aug 26, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #230 of 677
My own pair just landed, along with some silicone earplugs. My impressions should mean absolutely nothing to you (and I could be a total shill) since I helped bring the project to life, but if you're a fan of the Shure SE846 lower end sound signature these will hit an incredibly sweet spot with the depth and impact they bring to the table. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #231 of 677
Guys. That log in just took me to an order form. Isn't there a page that I can go to in order to see the choices? How much should I expect to pay for impressions? I live in the Hartford CT area if any of you know someone here who can do it that too would be great. Will I be able to use these with just my iPhone for when I travel or will I need an amp/dac even when on the road? Thanks all. New to headphones. Pete

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #232 of 677
Also any ideas of a portable amp/DAC that works with iPhone for these? Thanks again all

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #233 of 677
Guys. That log in just took me to an order form. Isn't there a page that I can go to in order to see the choices? How much should I expect to pay for impressions? I live in the Hartford CT area if any of you know someone here who can do it that too would be great. Will I be able to use these with just my iPhone for when I travel or will I need an amp/dac even when on the road? Thanks all. New to headphones. Pete

You can click on the options on the order form to see the specs, prices and relevant colour choices. For the actual colour samples you could check out their FB Page: 
https://www.facebook.com/thecustomart 

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #234 of 677
thanks so much. I am really looking forward to this. I still am looking at the Savant's, however based on what you are saying the sound signature is, this seems to be the one for me.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #235 of 677
I've gotten quoted for ear impressions twice. Once in Washington DC, and once in Washington state. Both times the quotes were $50 for both ears. I would expect it to cost roughly that much.

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #238 of 677
Also any ideas of a portable amp/DAC that works with iPhone for these? Thanks again all

Lots of choices!
First of all, the iPhone has a more than baseline DAC to start off with, and an amp more than powerful enough for IEMs. I believe the iPhone 6 has a 2.4 ohm output impedance?
Off the top of my head, there's the Creative E3 and E5 (haven't heard but they support the Apple camera connection kit or AAC Bluetooth for digital connections, E3 is on Massdrop last time I checked and I'll be getting an E5 for review soon, uses a desktop opamp), Cozoy Astrapi, Beyerdynamic A200, the FiiO stuff should work with the Camera Connection Kit too... Most battery powered DAC/Amp combos should work with the CCK now.

I've gotten quoted for ear impressions twice. Once in Washington DC, and once in Washington state. Both times the quotes were $50 for both ears. I would expect it to cost roughly that much.

In Pittsburgh, the recommended audiologists for Westone and Jerry Harvey Audio offered either $75 per ear (so $150 for a set), another guy would only do impressions in sets of two (so $100 for four impressions). I went on a trip through Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, and Missouri, and the 5 places I called along the way offered a pair for $50 (one really nice sounding audiologist offered to do a pair for $25). I also had someone suggest audiologists in Costco/Super Walmarts/Sears, but I don't know how good/bad they would do (probably fine? They put the tip in deep, but the foam does all the rest of the work).

I'd suggest calling first to schedule a time, and see if they'll clean your ears or how you can get your ears cleaned beforehand. With my insurance, having MedExpress clean my ears beforehand was $20, no insurance would've been over $200, BUT I feel comfortable that I could've cleaned them almost as well myself with a kit from Walgreens. What flushes out is pretty gross... Want a picture?

Also, follow the CIEM maker's instructions for bite block/no bite block/smaller bite block. I think Piotr recommended about a 1 inch block? I would recommend grabbing a napkin or tissue, because you'll drool like a hungry St. Bernard (especially if your audiologist is cute like mine was, embarrassing moments in audio!!!). It will also be the quietest you've never heard anything in your life, and the foam pushes out mildly from inside your (deeper than you thought) canal.

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #239 of 677
I think Piotr recommended about a 1 inch block? I would recommend grabbing a napkin or tissue, because you'll drool like a hungry St. Bernard (especially if your audiologist is cute like mine was, embarrassing moments in audio!!!). It will also be the quietest you've never heard anything in your life, and the foam pushes out mildly from inside your (deeper than you thought) canal.

Yeah, I got mine done by Vitaliy of 1964ears. It was a really fun experience! And it's a VERY interesting feeling, having all that putty injected so deep in your ears. The drooling and trying to talk with a bite block in your mouth are the best parts :)

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #240 of 677
1. How does the ei.XX directly compare to the harmony 8 and 8 pro?
2. Can the silicone earplugs be made with a hole to use as an universal iem tip?

1. Good question. In short. It's quite similar in sound signature to H8 and very different from H8P :)  I already got this question via email so I just post what I replied:
Harmony 8 will have slightly less bass and definitely less sub bass extension.
Ei.xx will have thicker more "fat" notes with really low hitting vibrations.
Harmony 8 will have bigger soundstage. Ei.xx will sound more forward.
Harmony 8 is darker
Ei.xx highs are a bit more prominent but they are pretty much similar, very easy going, smoothed out and very extended.
I would say harmony 8 is more audiophile monitor with lots of details and nuances while Ei.xx is more like a cinema or 2.1 studio set up experience.
Harmony 8 Pro will be brighter and more aggressive, less bass but more balanced at the same time.

2. Well at the same price no. If you want Ear Tips you can order them separately (oustide Massdrop) and we will combine shipping for both monitors and Ear Tips.

Thank you, I read that post. I don't understand what piotrus-g means of 'dense' mid - it is congested/thick/etc. :)

definitely not congested. I would say more "organic", thicker, colored

It was a really fun experience! And it's a VERY interesting feeling, having all that putty injected so deep in your ears.

Yeah! I like it too! I find it soothing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back