Teach me the ways of headphones, reccomend me a headphone
Nov 19, 2017 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Solarus

New Head-Fier
Budget: 300USD

Source: PC and Android phone

Isolation: as much as possible, I want to block out the world, im hesitant on active isolation however

Wireless: Unless it is amazing I would prefer wired.

Headphones in Public?: yes

Preferred Type of Headphone: Over Ear

Preferred Tonal Balance: Balanced

Use: Rock, Classical, Heavy metal, Electronic. I also enjoy video games.

Additional: Im not particularly rough with my headphones however I would really prefer a durable pair.

I was looking at the v-moda m-100 and was really interested, however I hear that its sound stage is under-par and due to its bass focus it wouldn't be very good for rock and video games
I also had my eyes on the oppo pm-3, however that is simply out of my price range
help would be appreciated

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 8
Over-Ear sealed cans have varying degrees of isolation. Most leak somewhat, at least. I would take a look at Tyll's "Wall of Fame" at:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-over-ear-sealed

You'll see some nice cans there, even some that have been "retired" in Wall of Fame.

I haven't heard the Meze 99 Classics but I hear that they are nice. And they are in your price range. Check out Tyll's video at:

if you have some time. For some heads, comfort may be an issue, though.

I own the NAD HP 50 cans and they are really good, IMHO . They may be worth looking into!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 8
I'd strongly recommend the HD1 or P7 if you can find a good price for Black Friday. Decently balanced yet fun, very good passive isolation, amazing looks, super comfy, and easy to carry around

Nov 19, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 8
thanks for the recommendation, currently the meze 99 is my first choice, although they are a bit hard to get in Canada at the msrp, Im also slightly worried about how fragile it is, as it seems a drop my crack the wood. My concern stems from my work chair, which likes to grab the cord and result in the headphones hitting the ground.

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 8
Hi Solarus,

Not surprised on MSRP in Canada which does make it difficult.
Good choice with 99 Classics as I have a pair though I don't wear it outside...also have changed from stock pads as they don't fit well for me otherwise for long listening due to having slightly odd shaped ears, I find ZMF cowhide works well there, also improve isolation. They are fairly durable though I haven't dropped mine but bumped it enough so as long as you don't have a hard floor, you should be ok there.
Also, if you let them settle after you put them on, they self adjust, in a similar but much better version than many old Audio Technica self adjusters.
Their cord is robust, either the long or the short so unless you tangle or wrap the cord round your work chair, you should be more than fine.
Meze have pretty good customer service so if anything goes wrong, they should be able to help.

Otherwise three which come to mind in descending price are as follows : (Have all of these which is why I recommend otherwise I wouldn't)

Sony 1000XM2 (Best Noise Cancelling & Wireless currently on market though price is above your limit in Canada but still worth considering for what it offers)
Shure SH 940 (Stock pads are ok, recommend ZMF cowhide again for better isolation & comfort, also shure savings now on so even more worth considering, minor creaking intially & as long as hinges aren't twisted too violently, will not break, can also be bashed around reasonably)
Audio Technica MSR7

Agree, PM3 especially with balanced cable would be good choice but yes, in Canada, is ouch especially with balanced cable, otherwise hard to justify but personal & subjective there.

Regarding SH 940 & MSR7, look for pro audio shops in your area & you might get better price, maybe even on the 1000XM2.

Otherwise, can suggest some good in ears if necessary which offer even better noise isolation than over ears.

Hope this helps.

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 8
I’m not real easy on headphones but don’t tend to throw them or stomp on them and I think the Meze are plenty sturdy. Like one of the above posts said the cups are kinda small if you have big ears they might be a problem I don’t have big ears but they are almost like on ear headphones with that being said the spring load adjustable head strap and very little clamp force I can wear for hours with out any discomfort at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back