teac vs tascam vs money
Sep 1, 2002 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mekanoplastik

500+ Head-Fier
hello...
biggrin.gif

I am new in all of this thing of "hi-fi" and I want to buy something very affordable, well built and good sounding (for the price range)

While looking for affordable cd players i came across with the teac 1440 which i think it looks very good for a unit that cost the same as some portable units.

teac describes it as a professional unit, it has headphone out with level control ( i guess it can drive headphones without an amp ) pitch control ( i really doubt i will ever use it) and it looks nice

i have also looked (just curiosity...) for the high-end teac products , the brand is tascam ( please correct me if i am wrong...) and there is a unit that looks almost identical, the tascam cd160.

the tascan player is almost twice as espensive and that made think that maybe the teac is a good option for a fist-cheap player since they probably use the same components...or maybe the tascam is a bad deal…
confused.gif

the problem is that i don’t know what reputation the brand teac has among "smart consumers" and i can not find any review of the players on the net, that is why i ask you guys...

if you have a recommendation for a cheap cd player better than the teac and in the same "league" please let me know....

thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 5
TEAC makes some decent CDPs. The drive mechanism is not bad.

I just found this place that sells the TEAC RM-1440 for $19.78! It's probably an error, but they do also sell the Sony DVP-NS500V for $138.92. They also seem to sell some of the higher end models for very cheap (you can see them on the right side of the latter page).

But I don't think it (or any other CDP) can drive headphones well. You'd be better off getting a cheaper CDP and an affordable headphone amp (perhaps the META 42).

Sep 3, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 5
TASCAM is for professional market - where sound engineers and record artists making money from. Units build to last forever. In Asia, some of hi-fiers like to use TASCAM as transport for its exceptionally low jitter (digital timing error).

TEAC does produce some very good CDP, but also pricy. You can try their mini-series. I think there is one called X-500 (X stand for I don't know, not atcual X).

However, if you can get a cheap TASCAM and don't mind the look (they look very professional = ugly), it'll be a good buy.

Nov 24, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 5
Hello Everyone! :)

I'd like to inquire about the TEAC PD H500 CD Player (of their reference 500) series. It looks gourgeous, like a high end product. It seems to be very well built and it's gotta have a very good power supply judging by how quiet it is. The price seems good too. It's supposed to cost somewhere between U$ 300 and U$ 500, as it costs R$ 1,800 in Brazil. The drawback seems to be its ordinary 1 bit 8X oversampling DAC. I mean, there's no Burr Brown Delta Sigma in it, though by its looks it should have it. Has any of you ever auditioned it and compared it to other CDPs? How does it compare to, say, a Technics SL-PG 5E CD Player with MASH DAC? How does it compare to more expensive ARCAM or NAD CD Players? How does it compare to the REDBOOK performance of an entry level SONY SACD player like the SCD XB-780?

I'm looking at the prospect of a source upgrade early next year and I'd really appreciate your input.

Cheers!
Alex Altorfer
PS: I've already posted this message elsewhere on this forum so sorry if you've already read it there. I figured I might get to some of you TEAC guys more easily by reposting it here. Attached below goes an image of the TEAC PD H500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back