Teac UD 503 DAC (2015 New Release, DXD, DSD256)
Jun 15, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #481 of 572
Jun 15, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #483 of 572
I also haven't experienced this with anything other than my Shure SE846 which are 8 ohm IEMs. TH-X00 sounded fantastic with my UD-503.
I think it's individual perception. And what is used as reference. I know how TH-X00 could sound with powerful textured bass. With UD-503 it was not so good. It's listenable of course, not completely bad. But when you heared them sounding better it's hard to be satisfied with less.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #484 of 572
I think it's individual perception. And what is used as reference. I know how TH-X00 could sound with powerful textured bass. With UD-503 it was not so good. It's listenable of course, not completely bad. But when you heared them sounding better it's hard to be satisfied with less.

I compared them with an IFI iDSD BL and Grace M9XX, both capable of driving the TH-X00 wonderfully. But I definitely heard the distortion in my Shure SE846. To be fair, the spec sheets don't include 8 ohm impedance.

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #485 of 572
Jun 20, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #486 of 572
Hmm, that's a bit high. Thank you for the info.

Teac uses current matching so it's not the same 8-1 rule. Look at the frequency response measurement in the same article - load is 25 ohms and the measurement is ruler flat (within 1 dB). If there was impedance mismatch, there would be significant lower frequency bloat and high frequency roll off. Like all audio components, best to give an audition before committing to dollars.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #487 of 572
Thought it may be helpful to share;

I've had a 503 for approx. 6 months and think it drives/pairs really well with my Sennheiser HD 800. Very smooth with lots of detail (refined) with good extension at both ends. Very musical and enjoyable.

Had HE-6 (driven by speaker taps 120W class A/B Arcam amplifier, so well amped, warm amplifier) for a short while. This was NOT a good experience.

503 also sounds great with AT MSR 7.

Previously owned the 501 which in comparison i found to be harsh/thin/etched and un-refined.

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #488 of 572
Have you tried it with active ground mode? It takes the amp to another level in terms of dynamics. This unit is definitely underrated. That's not even mentioning how capable the pre-amp and DAC sections are. I use a pair of Focal CMS 65 studio monitors with it and little features like the amp remembering separate pre-out and headphone volume just makes my life so much easier.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #489 of 572
Have you tried it with active ground mode? It takes the amp to another level in terms of dynamics. This unit is definitely underrated. That's not even mentioning how capable the pre-amp and DAC sections are. I use a pair of Focal CMS 65 studio monitors with it and little features like the amp remembering separate pre-out and headphone volume just makes my life so much easier.

Agreed, active ground does exactly what you and other here describe.

My theory is; many are not willing to buy/or even demo the 503 because of the poor response the 501 (a completely different animal) received.

Aug 2, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #490 of 572
Hello,
I have one question. I have bought TEAC UD503 dac with preamp function and want to connect active pair of speakers and active sub. Speakers has XLR and sub has only RCA connections. It is possible to split balanced TEAC UD503 preamp output by Y piece to XLR and RCA? Something like this XLR into XLR and RCA by "Y" piece?

Aug 2, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #491 of 572
Hello,
I have one question. I have bought TEAC UD503 dac with preamp function and want to connect active pair of speakers and active sub. Speakers has XLR and sub has only RCA connections. It is possible to split balanced TEAC UD503 preamp output by Y piece to XLR and RCA? Something like this XLR into XLR and RCA by "Y" piece?

Yes it is possible. I use a Y XLR cable and a XLR to RCA cable for each channel.

Aug 3, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #494 of 572
[XLR to RCA and XLR].png
I have made a drawing about y piece I have in mind, please tell me if it is correct and I can connect like this. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back