Teac UD 503 DAC (2015 New Release, DXD, DSD256)
Apr 23, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #466 of 572
  So, any update on impressions of the DAC after some additional usage? I'm thinking about getting one to pair with my Master 9. :)

Well, strictly used as a DAC through my iCan Pro amp, the TEAC is certainly the warmest and most laid back out of my 3, being the Oppo HA-1 by itself,  and iFi iDSD Micro silver run through the iCan as a DAC. The iDSD is more forward sounding with a neutral character, lets the music come through uncolored, the TEAC is a bit more relaxed and enveloping in it's feel. Sorry, not as proficient in tech talk as some of you foilks, hope you get some help from this.
 All I can say is I like what I hear so far, and will be okay at least until the iDSD Pro is released. The 503 will stay hooked to the iCan, and the iDSD Micro might stay too, or get matched up with my LD Mk III, which is a nice combo with my Senns and Beyers.
 Most likely gonna sell my Oppo, keep an eye out if interested, not sure when.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #467 of 572
Well, strictly used as a DAC through my iCan Pro amp, the TEAC is certainly the warmest and most laid back out of my 3, being the Oppo HA-1 by itself,  and iFi iDSD Micro silver run through the iCan as a DAC. The iDSD is more forward sounding with a neutral character, lets the music come through uncolored, the TEAC is a bit more relaxed and enveloping in it's feel. Sorry, not as proficient in tech talk as some of you foilks, hope you get some help from this.
 All I can say is I like what I hear so far, and will be okay at least until the iDSD Pro is released. The 503 will stay hooked to the iCan, and the iDSD Micro might stay too, or get matched up with my LD Mk III, which is a nice combo with my Senns and Beyers.
 Most likely gonna sell my Oppo, keep an eye out if interested, not sure when.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm convinced. I'm going to get one as it is a nice balanced option for my setup. Time to figure out a nice desktop stack/shelf/rack setup. :)

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #468 of 572
I would recommend everyone specific what filter they are using when giving impressions.

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #472 of 572
Are you using Windows? What is your bitrate and freq settings? Try turning them down to say, 44.1/16.

Windows 10 and the format is set at 44.1/16bit. The interesting thing is, when I set the bitrate higher I get the static issues a lot of people are having with UD501. Pretty sure it's a driver issue. The unit works perfectly when I use it with my Macbook.

EDIT: The issue is fixed by using the Windows USB audio 2.0 class driver instead of the TEAC driver. If you have issues with your UD503, I recommend using the windows default audio drivers included with the Windows 10 creator update. About time Microsoft included default audio drivers like Apple and Linux.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #473 of 572
Does anyone know if this amp has a low headphone output impedance? It says nothing about it on the specs sheet. If it's above 30 ohms, than there's no point in getting it since the only high impedance headphone I have is the HD650.

Jun 13, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #474 of 572
Does anyone know if this amp has a low headphone output impedance? It says nothing about it on the specs sheet. If it's above 30 ohms, than there's no point in getting it since the only high impedance headphone I have is the HD650.

Official specs say headphones from 16-300 ohm impedance is supported. That would indicate around 2 ohm output impedance. Lowest impedance I've tried is 25 ohm headphones without any issues.

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #475 of 572
Official specs say headphones from 16-300 ohm impedance is supported. That would indicate around 2 ohm output impedance. Lowest impedance I've tried is 25 ohm headphones without any issues.
Thanks for the response. Does your 25 ohm headphone have a dynamic driver? Most dynamic driver headphones get a large bass bloat after being plugged into a high output impedance. I just want to make sure it won't distort the sound with most of my headphones before deciding to purchase.

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #476 of 572
Thanks for the response. Does your 25 ohm headphone have a dynamic driver? Most dynamic driver headphones get a large bass bloat after being plugged into a high output impedance. I just want to make sure it won't distort the sound with most of my headphones before deciding to purchase.

Yes, dynamic phones - TH900

Jun 14, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #478 of 572
Ok thanks. I assume TEAC knows what they are doing since their HA-501 has a variable damping factor knob.

Teac definitely is an under rated OEM in the audiophile space. The UD-503 amp has current matching so from my limited knowledge of what that means, I know the output impedance doesn't follow the simple 8/1 ratio of voltage amps. I fully trust the 16-300 ohm recommendation and would not be surprised if 8 ohm headphones work fine too.

You may want to checkout classified as I saw one at a good price. I will be selling mine later too as I've saved up my dollars to go back to an R2R DAC. The UD-503 has served me well of the past year and I think it performs well above it's price in the crowded DS DAC space. I certainly wins the physically heaviest DAC I've ever owned coming in at 4.2 kilos. The dual mono power supplies really add some weight and you certainly don't want to drop this on your foot or floor by accident LOL.

Jun 15, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #479 of 572
Measured impedance is about 10 ohm: http://www.teac.com/content/misc/universal/hfnapril16ud503.pdf
From my experience with UD-503 and low impedance Fostex (TH-X00 in my case) it's not optimal matching. Bass becomes uncontrolled and boomy.

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #480 of 572

Users who are viewing this thread

Back