Teac Reference Line UD-501 USB DAC "DSD"
Sep 18, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #376 of 550

If you're referring to the 501, using my Beyer T1's I don't hear any hum at all.

Maybe you have a mains hum problem? Does it get louder if you crank up the volume?

Yes I'm reffering to the 501.

The hum is completely independent slightly dependent with the volume. I tried with a sennheiser hd600.

What do you mean by mains hum problem?

Sep 18, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #377 of 550

The hum is completely independent from the volume. I tried with a sennheiser hd600.

see this for mains hum https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_hum

maybe try the unit in another location or with a power conditioner? it is odd that it's not getting louder with volume. could be a problem with your unit.

Sep 18, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #378 of 550

see this for mains hum https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_hum

maybe try the unit in another location or with a power conditioner? it is odd that it's not getting louder with volume. could be a problem with your unit.

Thanks for the link. Yes, I think it is a plausible explanation.

I already tried the in a different room with the same result. Perhaps it is my home's electrical system which is faulty  ?

I didn't test at a friend's house so far.

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #379 of 550

The hum is completely independent from the volume. I tried with a sennheiser hd600.

Ah, I just noticed you said you don't hear hum with speakers.  This might indicate there's something wrong with the output stage of the headphones.  Maybe the op amps driving this stage are defective. Is the hum in both channels? Odd if it is.

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #381 of 550
So I ordered the Teac UD-501, but didn't realize it only output 1 watt through the amp. I'm getting it this week.

So reading through this thread I can get a feel that this is a great DAC but a bit weak on the AMP side.

Would you guys consider the LYR2 a good compliment to the Teac UD-501? That would be my upgrade path when i can afford the LYR2.  

Teac UD-501+LYR2. Making it a 6 watt powered TEAC! Good idea or not, let me know what you guys think. 

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #382 of 550
  So I ordered the Teac UD-501, but didn't realize it only output 1 watt through the amp. I'm getting it this week.

So reading through this thread I can get a feel that this is a great DAC but a bit weak on the AMP side.

Would you guys consider the LYR2 a good compliment to the Teac UD-501? That would be my upgrade path when i can afford the LYR2.  

Teac UD-501+LYR2. Making it a 6 watt powered TEAC! Good idea or not, let me know what you guys think. 

If you're talking about the headphone amp, there's no way it can output 1 watt. It's more like 100mW per channel with 32 ohm load.  Goes down to 40mW with 600 ohms.  If you're after power, you're definitely going to want that Lyr. Some people swear by the need for high powered amps for headphones.

I rarely listen to headphones at all (i'm a speaker kinda guy), but I think the 501 drives my Beyer T1's to very loud levels.

Sep 28, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #383 of 550
Awe! Why is it so weak. I now have to compliment it with Asgard2 or Lyr2, whatever fits my budget. 
confused_face.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #386 of 550
The LCD-2 has a similar sensitivity to the T1's I have so I would expect they will go quite loud if you need it.

Actually, if the Audeze are only 70 ohm, they'll go louder than than the T1's.

You can always try it before you buy another head amp.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #389 of 550
I was an early adaptor for the teac ud-501 dac. It has faithfully been the centerpiece of my computer audio system . I use it with a pair of emotiva airmotiv 5 active speakers . I use the volume control on the airmotiv 5s to control the volume. The dac sounds very good and I enjoy watching moves on Netflix on my computer monitor. I highly recommend that if it is at all possible to use the balanced outputs the dac definitely sounds better from the balanced outputs.

Oct 1, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #390 of 550
I decided to improve sound quality of my 501. First of all, I want to upgrade transport quality, but no sure: usb or spdif. My music collection is redbook and vinyl rips. No DSD. So, what will be the best: upgrade usb transport (with Uptone USB Regen or Wyrd or iFi USB Power) or upgrade coaxial transport (with Gustard U12 or MX-8)? Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back