TEAC HA-P90SD (To be released in Dec, 2014)
Feb 7, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #274 of 447
Did You manage to change op amps? Any conclusion, especially on expanding soundstage?

Already modding it with muses8832 on dac section. Have improvement on staging and more bright. But sadly has over power bass. Try it on ouput sec. There is a touble like a pulse sound coming out. Return it back to normal.
Still finding a good synergy opamp. The mod is really risky. Take 5 hours and more just for desoldering and resoldering new opamp. The circuity is really compact :frowning2:

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #277 of 447
IMO, P50 is much more forgiving than P90SD. I can hear low res mp3 files on it just fine, whilst unpleasant on P90SD

Well when you increase the quality of the sound reproduction via better hardware design and components, then you are also further revealing the faults of the source music file at the same time, low res mp3 isn't what the P90 was intended for, it is marketed as a DSD and High Res music player after all, but in saying that, 320kbs mp3 sound great on the P90, only need to give the low bitrate mp3's a miss.

Also, I think you should try modding P90 with AD8620 opamp 
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #278 of 447
When will teac release next firmware?
Could we petition them for folder play category?
I'm in dire need for folder play feature because my collection is almost fulll 100gb music on 128gb microsdcard T.T
It's pain for me to select the music I want to play

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #280 of 447

Well when you increase the quality of the sound reproduction via better hardware design and components, then you are also further revealing the faults of the source music file at the same time, low res mp3 isn't what the P90 was intended for, it is marketed as a DSD and High Res music player after all, but in saying that, 320kbs mp3 sound great on the P90, only need to give the low bitrate mp3's a miss.

Also, I think you should try modding P90 with AD8620 opamp 
biggrin.gif

The 1602 has operational voltage of 2.25v-to18v whilst ad 8620 is from 5v to 24v. Do you think it will be compatible? Not to mention 1602 has rail to rail output. Can it really be replaced?
If it can then what do you think about AD8066? It looks like also a best candidate too if it can be used.

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #281 of 447
I can't say for sure if AD8620 will be compatible, but HA300 is using muses8920 which is 3.5v to 16v, and is not rail to rail, and I suspect P90 and HA300 are the same circuit with only the opamps changed. Also P90 drains battery life so fast that I suspect P90 operating voltage is probably within AD8620 range, but I cannot be certain.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #283 of 447
Nangryo how does P90 compare to HM650 you had before?

I use HM650 with it's standard card and the mod card (the mod card is basically old classic card for hm901 and give them caps mod).
HM650 is basically mixed sound of 60x series with 901. You have elevated detail soundstage, yet still have the sweet mid and touch of analog vocal like the 60x series but without the roll off treble and some might say veiled sound.
You can connect everything on HM650 and it sounds good right off. No picky pairing or whatsoever. Almost all my cans sounds great on it.

On the other hand, TEAC P90SD is very picky. Only 3 of my cans sound good on it. 2 IEM 1 headphone. The other either sound weird or not balanced or too dark or something.
But in case the pair is good, TEAC sounds really great. In example om my ATH W5000. Really good pairing. Listening simple wav sounds really brings out the detail. There are micro detail sound I've never heard before on HM650 is swirling in TEAC P90D. But still.., if you want to tap your toe whilst listening. HM650 is good too. Even more musical than TEAC IMHO.
Sadly, HM650 has propetiary charge , data transfer and line out. I have to carry around those bulky charger. It has moderate battery life so I have to take the charger a lot... Not to mention buggy firmware at the time I still have it, so I let it go. If hifiman released revised version with standard microusb charging I might buy one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back