Tea-Fi?
Nov 20, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #680 of 750
Gyokuro actually, but very yummy - buttery, grassy, um greeny...

Interesting. Been meaning to try some Gyokuro tea sometime. I'm still new to loose leaf brewing, but I am enjoying more variety of teas than I have ever before.  Most of the green teas I've ever tried are either Jasmine, matcha, or sencha.

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #682 of 750
Does anybody know what kind of oolong they use at generic "chinese" restaurants?

It has a really toasty flavor

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #684 of 750
All good choices!

I recommend you avoid gyokuro - or if you do try it, don't mention it to your bank account. It's probably still grumpy about your matcha.

Gyokuro is really picky about temperature and steep times, and if you mess up it's going to be as bitter. I also order my gyokuro from a Japanese company, so it tends to get stuck in customs for a month, and that always sucks.
  Does anybody know what kind of oolong they use at generic "chinese" restaurants?

It has a really toasty flavor

Not sure exactly what it is, but you can get similar results with a traditional roasted Tieguanyin or Wuyi-style Oolongs. I'm personally a huge fan of Wuyi's, and I highly recommend Da Hong Pao (big red robe). Good roasted Tieguanyin's are hard to find and usually in fairly limited quantities, but decent Da Hong Pao is easy to come by.

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #685 of 750
  Not sure exactly what it is, but you can get similar results with a traditional roasted Tieguanyin or Wuyi-style Oolongs. I'm personally a huge fan of Wuyi's, and I highly recommend Da Hong Pao (big red robe). Good roasted Tieguanyin's are hard to find and usually in fairly limited quantities, but decent Da Hong Pao is easy to come by.

Oh I know all about tie guan yin, it's a favorite. I have yet to get da hong pao though so that might be my next order (as well as a formosa oolong of some sort)

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #686 of 750
Yup, nothing worse than rushing your water and scalding your precious gyokuro :frowning2: . But when you do it right it is so delicious and kind of addictive - complex depth of flavours that keep coming from different directions. Jade dew is aptly named.

The weird thing is I too order from Japan and, so far, mine have never made any kind of stop with customs (and my shipping address is probably ridiculously close to yours :confused:).

This morning began thus -

but is forecasted to move towards a sencha Zuiko later in the morning, with the possibility of gyokuro by mid-late afternoon.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #688 of 750
There are quite a few options, but a couple I like are:

and if you haven't tried

yet, you should - they operate out of the US and some of their teas are very good, and comparatively well priced.

Edited to fix image links.

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #689 of 750
bookmarked them all.

I love getting new sources

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #690 of 750
  bookmarked them all.

I love getting new sources

I get Japanese teas from Den's Tea and Hibiki-An. Hibiki-An is the one that tends to get tied up in customs. I get most of my Chinese Teas from Verdant Tea, and with some free samples that I got from various places when I had more free time to do reviews. Those were the days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back