Tea-Fi?
Oct 28, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #661 of 750
  tea | l'affaire

jus finished delighting in a cup of Green Tea (Lung Ching Dragonwell) from the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. Due to its affordable price and wonderful taste, this selection returns great bang for the buck! I also enjoy CBT's Jasmine Dragon Phoenix Pearls. Priced @ $21-4oz, this really works for my budget and represents my day-to-day consumption. I'd have no problem getting some high-end buds to cherish now and again with or without company. One less bottle of French bubbly (Champagne) to hold the budget together. 
rolleyes.gif

On the vessel side, I have a handful of different Gaiwans and a few more teacups but my fav by far is my Ming Dynasty influenced Black Pearl Gaiwan shown below.

200x200px-ZC-66c78c1a_BlackPearlGaiwan-MingDynasty1368-1644-Copy.jpeg

A few moments ago, I happened across another teacup that so far is holding my attention. Maybe another sign that the holidays are near. 
biggrin.gif

thumb_COLOURBOX2808945.jpg

I will maybe be kicked off this thread for being such a brute, but I drink tea for effect and have an 8 minute process with this gear.

Oct 29, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #662 of 750
Quote:

I will maybe be kicked off this thread for being such a brute, but I drink tea for effect and have an 8 minute process with this gear.

Better than me, I use the paper cups at work, not a proper mug.

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #663 of 750
  My set up is fairly simple, mostly due to the fact that some of my equipment didn't survive my last move. I'm in the market for a new gaiwan, preferably porcelain. Any suggestions? The Ming-inspired one is nice, but where is it from?

http://stores.ebay.com/Dragon-Tea-House

Absolutely, one's source/quality of water is paramount. 

Better than me, I use the paper cups at work, not a proper mug.

Sometimes you just gotta make it do what it do! 
biggrin.gif
 Then get home and all ceremonial and stuff...

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #664 of 750

Absolutely, one's source/quality of water is paramount. 

I used to do this fine art black and white photographic film developing in a dark room. One way I was able to get super fine grain was to get everything at the exact same temp. It reminded me of the tea making video. I guess getting to that level is a goal, especially with guests over.

On a daily basis though I like my simple equipment. The plastic filters are easy to clean as compared to the steal we used to use years ago. I really think the guy was right about the water being not too hot. That is what is great about a water dispenser. The water is always the same temp.

Still I'm sure all my plastic use affects the taste. Plastic water bottle and plastic strainer.

You could go the an underground spring and put water in glass. Then go to the tea pot process in the video for the ultimate taste. I actually have underground springs near my house so going for water would not be out of the question.

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #667 of 750
i'm sorry but that is outrageously pretentious

Well it really is. Still if you can over look that part there is some stuff to learn.

I guess many who get to a certain point will have some ego in the explaination process.

I live near China and Japan but have not been shown a process in English this detailed. But ha, you have to watch filtering out any of his ego.

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #668 of 750

Well it really is. Still if you can over look that part there is some stuff to learn.

I guess many who get to a certain point will have some ego in the explaination process.

I live near China and Japan but have not been shown a process in English this detailed. But ha, you have to watch filtering out any of his ego.

I much prefer the explanation from James N. Pratt

I found The Tea Lovers Treasury at goodwill and have since read it cover to cover

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #671 of 750

ardilla, can I ask where you (anyone else pitch in too) get your first flush Darjeeling from?

I used to get mine from Rare Tea Republic, but they got rolled into the Republic of Tea/Teavanna machine and have disappeared. Real shame, they had some great Darjeelings and other obscure Indian teas.

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #673 of 750

50 cents for 80 grams.

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #674 of 750
Sure, but it might not be of any help. I get it from my local Les Palais des Thes-shop. Think they have a webshop, but might be eu only, never tried it.

Checked their web store, seems they actually have a place in New York and they do ship to USA. :)

I'm going to be placing an order for both a Gaiwan and a Kyusu from Rishi Tea (only place I found that seems trustworthy and reasonable), so I will definitely order a few teas from Les Palais des Thes. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back