Tea-Fi?
Sep 16, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #631 of 750
  Have not tried the pot. But a couple of years back (if memory serves) I bought a canister of Rishi Silver Needles (White Tea) from Whole Foods. Taste was okay but overpriced in my opinion.

First time I saw Rooibos & Red bush hyphenated. 
biggrin.gif
 It works for me.

I'll have to try it sometime. I have yet taken any interest in White Tea.. perhaps one day?
rolleyes.gif

LOL, I hadn't any idea there were a difference. I thought it was a fancy word for Rooibos, at least now I know. Ha ha

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #632 of 750

I'll have to try it sometime. I have yet taken any interest in White Tea.. perhaps one day?
rolleyes.gif

LOL, I hadn't any idea there were a difference. I thought it was a fancy word for Rooibos, at least now I know. Ha ha

Yours is a fancy word for Rooibos. The original nickname is Red bush. For years, I've gotten my Red Bush from the African Red Tea Imports (L.A.) and personally know the owner. 

http://www.africanredtea.com/

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #633 of 750
rolleyes.gif

I'm not a huge fan of white teas.  Very subtle flavors so you need to be careful with water temperature while brewing and you get maybe 2-3 resteepings.  Definitely expensive as you say.  I bought 50g of Jun shan silver needles to try it out for around $35.  Delicate and lovely fragrance as leaves and for first steeping, but quickly fades.  

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #634 of 750

I'm not a huge fan of white teas.  Very subtle flavors so you need to be careful with water temperature while brewing and you get maybe 2-3 resteepings.  Definitely expensive as you say.  I bought 50g of Jun shan silver needles to try it out for around $35.  Delicate and lovely fragrance as leaves and for first steeping, but quickly fades.  

Inside the listening room, I mainly drink delicate Green tea followed by Red Tea for variety. Hardly reach for either Black or White. But with the Green teas I have in stock, they are meant to be enjoyed warm not hot. This may be more beneficial to one's digestive system anyway. 
biggrin.gif
 If so, more bang for the buck!

Sep 20, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #635 of 750
  Yours is a fancy word for Rooibos. The original nickname is Red bush. For years, I've gotten my Red Bush from the African Red Tea Imports (L.A.) and personally know the owner. 

http://www.africanredtea.com/

I see. I think I'll call it Rooibush from now on, LOL. While I am still unfortunately using tea bags, I've been drinking Numi Tea Rooibos and it is so good. I'm ordering a teapot this weekend so I'll definitely utilize the website you have shared.

On the other note, my most favorite type of teas will always be Green tea. I love both Black and (as of now) Red teas, but there is something ever so soothing and wonderful about green tea. :)

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #636 of 750

I see. I think I'll call it Rooibush from now on, LOL. While I am still unfortunately using tea bags, I've been drinking Numi Tea Rooibos and it is so good. I'm ordering a teapot this weekend so I'll definitely utilize the website you have shared.

On the other note, my most favorite type of teas will always be Green tea. I love both Black and (as of now) Red teas, but there is something ever so soothing and wonderful about green tea. :)

I'm with you on the Green tea. I've never cared much for the taste of Red tea but drink for its health benefits and variety. 

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #637 of 750
I have yet to really find a green tea that blows me away, but then again I'm not too fond of the vegetative taste green tea normally has. White tea on the other hand is incredibly soothing

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #639 of 750

Silent One, can I ask you what are some of your favorites?

I tend to delight in a variety of different Jasmine Pearls from different sources. I also enjoy Lung Ching Dragonwell from diff sources. And then there's those unknown samples that friends return with from China/Taiwan, where they return Stateside and share but then I forget the names. Some good, some great and some pedestrian. But I love the adventure of sampling. 

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #640 of 750
  I tend to delight in a variety of different Jasmine Pearls from different sources. I also enjoy Lung Ching Dragonwell from diff sources. And then there's those unknown samples that friends return with from China/Taiwan, where they return Stateside and share but then I forget the names. Some good, some great and some pedestrian. But I love the adventure of sampling. 

Interesting. Can I ask what are some of your favorite sources? I've been on the lookout for some good sources, but its proving a bit difficult.

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #641 of 750
Verdant Tea is a good source for Chinese teas, for Japanese I get tea from Hibiki-An, Den's Tea, and Mellow Monk. I also have a subscription to Steepster Select, which is my source of variety.

All of these have very competative prices, except for Hibiki-An, which I use exclusively for when people ask me for what I would like for christmas.

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #642 of 750
Matcha experts - I'm looking at picking up a couple of chawan and wondering how much shape plays a role in ease of prep. Specifically, is a conical shaped bowl harder to use properly than a wider bottomed one?

Thanks for any experienced guidance.

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #643 of 750
Matcha experts - I'm looking at picking up a couple of chawan and wondering how much shape plays a role in ease of prep. Specifically, is a conical shaped bowl harder to use properly than a wider bottomed one?

Thanks for any experienced guidance.

Generally speaking the wider bowls are easier both for preparing matcha and for holding and drinking in the traditional manner. If you have a narrower chasen you could probably make a conical chawan work, but the matcha would settle faster into the bottom of the cone. Not sure if this would affect the taste since I'm a staunch traditionalist when it comes to tea.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #645 of 750
a

Users who are viewing this thread

Back