Tea-Fi?
Jul 18, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #616 of 750

I had one once and loved it (despite them being for right-handed people which I most certainly am not) but ended up breaking it

Aw, that's too bad. I'd be devastated if that happened. Right now I have one made from purple clay, but I really want to try one made from genuine red clay. The link I put in my last post is the only place that I've found anything that looks legitimate, but I want to make sure it is (I'm only posting this on here because the Adagio forum had some sort of fallout with kyusus or something, I don't know).

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #617 of 750
  Aw, that's too bad. I'd be devastated if that happened. Right now I have one made from purple clay, but I really want to try one made from genuine red clay. The link I put in my last post is the only place that I've found anything that looks legitimate, but I want to make sure it is (I'm only posting this on here because the Adagio forum had some sort of fallout with kyusus or something, I don't know).

it was ceramic, not clay. I thought that was the name of the style

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #618 of 750

it was ceramic, not clay. I thought that was the name of the style

Yeah it is. Some people (like me) get really finicky about what it's made out of because the different iron and mineral contents of different types of clay bring out different flavours and aromas. This site right here does a pretty alright job at explaining it, along with giving a bit of history behind the different types of pots that are crafted in Japan.

I'd buy off of this site, but all of the red clay pots on here were put in the kiln with too little O2 for my taste (I swear I'm too picky at times).

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #619 of 750

try these

http://www.adagio.com/green/matcha.html
http://www.teavivre.com/organic-green-tea-powder/

Enjoying Tea also has matcha but sweet christ.... 30 grams for $18? nah dude, nah

Haha yeah that's a bit much. I'll look these other ones up thanks man.

Definately order Teavivre over Adagio. Teavivre is superior!

Sep 4, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #620 of 750
  Chose a really nice one with a strong scent to it but surprisingly mild when consumed. Recommended!

http://www.yogitea.eu/index.php/products/details/flavour/jamaica/en

Has been a while since I drank a good cup of tea and what do you know, my taste has not changed. Made one post in this thread in 2010 recommending the same Jamaica Roasted Spice. Way good! Try it out.

Roasted Chicory
Cinnamon
Barley Malt
Cardamom
Black Pepper
Liquorice

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #622 of 750
Aspiring barista/tea sommelier here. I am a huge fan of TWG, and I have nearly tried almost all their tea. My favorite is Lavender's Kiss.

Maybe I am just weird, but I find the shape of the tea flower bloom to be pretty. Tastes awesome too!

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #623 of 750
Aspiring barista/tea sommelier here. I am a huge fan of TWG, and I have nearly tried almost all their tea. My favorite is Lavender's Kiss.

Maybe I am just weird, but I find the shape of the tea flower bloom to be pretty. Tastes awesome too!

Nothing wrong with liking flowers, I grow orchids, and about 20 fruit trees, along with lotus flowers and roses. I would still like to grow ginseng and tea.

Tea is such a thing, almost other-worldly and finding a special tea is an achievement. My first pineapple is almost ready. I have grown bananas and mangos too.

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #624 of 750

OK, back on topic...

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #625 of 750
Well, I tend to delight in Jasmine Dragon Pearls while writing letters and notes, using a Japanese fountain pen filled with Japanese ink modeled after the Japanese Beautyberry plant. 
biggrin.gif

4fb48006004975f676afb820b6884301.jpg

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #626 of 750
I've been enjoying a bit of Taiwanese high mountain oolong tea that a friend shared.  His father is a big tea fan and has access to many excellent teas on the island, and by extension shares quite a bit of it with my friend.  Also tried some that was perfumed by pomegranate blossoms which I'd not heard of but is apparently popular.  Very fragrant tea, fruity and fresh aroma with a sweet and slightly herbal taste for the first few steepings before being very smooth and slightly malty as the flavor of the blossoms fade.  Nice stuff.

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #627 of 750
Anyone here have any thoughts on Rishi Tea or even Numi Tea? I came across this article (http://foodbabe.com/2013/08/21/do-you-know-whats-really-in-your-tea/) recently and was fascinated and horrified to see all the horrible things some of these tea bags can have. Granted this caters more to the tea bag drinker (which I am wanting to step away from as much as possible). I explored Rishi Tea's website and realized they sell Tokoname pots. I'm especially interested into investing into at least two of these pots (one for black tea and the other for green tea).

I originally wanted a cast iron pot, but read that clay pots are actually much better and easier to care for as well (no potential rust). Plus I love the look of these. Can anyone throw someone provide some insights on this and Rishi Tea and Numi tea? Thanks!

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #628 of 750
I don't have experience purchasing from either web site, but clay pots are nice for brewing tea.  Since they are unfinished, the pots are porous and will gradually absorb the tea you brew in them and will contribute flavor to the next pot you brew.  However, as you're aware of since you're thinking of getting separate pots for green and black tea, you will not be able to brew all types of tea in the same pot as you would be allowing it to absorb all different types of tea flavors and that would not be ideal.  

I use a ceramic pot at home since I think clay can be fragile and I can be clumsy, but they make great vessels to brew in, especially if you use one pot to brew only one type of tea (hopefully with similar flavors each time).

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #629 of 750
  I use a ceramic pot at home since I think clay can be fragile and I can be clumsy, but they make great vessels to brew in, especially if you use one pot to brew only one type of tea (hopefully with similar flavors each time).

I might use a ceramic pot for some Rooibush tea (which I heard is just as great). I really am in need of a teapot or two, these tea bags are no longer sufficing lol.

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #630 of 750
  I've been enjoying a bit of Taiwanese high mountain oolong tea that a friend shared.  His father is a big tea fan and has access to many excellent teas on the island, and by extension shares quite a bit of it with my friend.  Also tried some that was perfumed by pomegranate blossoms which I'd not heard of but is apparently popular.  Very fragrant tea, fruity and fresh aroma with a sweet and slightly herbal taste for the first few steepings before being very smooth and slightly malty as the flavor of the blossoms fade.  Nice stuff.

If only I still lived in the Eastbay... 
rolleyes.gif

Anyone here have any thoughts on Rishi Tea or even Numi Tea? I came across this article (http://foodbabe.com/2013/08/21/do-you-know-whats-really-in-your-tea/) recently and was fascinated and horrified to see all the horrible things some of these tea bags can have. Granted this caters more to the tea bag drinker (which I am wanting to step away from as much as possible). I explored Rishi Tea's website and realized they sell Tokoname pots. I'm especially interested into investing into at least two of these pots (one for black tea and the other for green tea).

I originally wanted a cast iron pot, but read that clay pots are actually much better and easier to care for as well (no potential rust). Plus I love the look of these. Can anyone throw someone provide some insights on this and Rishi Tea and Numi tea? Thanks!

Have not tried the pot. But a couple of years back (if memory serves) I bought a canister of Rishi Silver Needles (White Tea) from Whole Foods. Taste was okay but overpriced in my opinion.

I don't have experience purchasing from either web site, but clay pots are nice for brewing tea.  Since they are unfinished, the pots are porous and will gradually absorb the tea you brew in them and will contribute flavor to the next pot you brew.  However, as you're aware of since you're thinking of getting separate pots for green and black tea, you will not be able to brew all types of tea in the same pot as you would be allowing it to absorb all different types of tea flavors and that would not be ideal.  

I enjoy using my two full size Gaiwans - brew in the first one, delight in the second one. 

I might use a ceramic pot for some Rooibush tea (which I heard is just as great). I really am in need of a teapot or two, these tea bags are no longer sufficing lol.

First time I saw Rooibos & Red bush hyphenated. 
biggrin.gif
 It works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back