TDK IE800 Dual High-Performance Dynamic Micro-Drivers IEM
Jan 1, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #46 of 386
I don't perticularly pay attention to treble, but I think it's safe to say that it's not harsh. 
When I tested both ha-fxt90 and ie800, the former extended very well and the latter rolled off gently when it reached 15k or so.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #48 of 386
Thanks for your impressions all. I should have mine in the next few days so am curious to see if mine match yours.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #49 of 386
Due to my love of the BA200 (currently my favorite universal IEM under $400), I felt obligated to hear what the IE800 was about.  I've ordered it today and expect it sometime next week.  Looking forward to hearing how it stacks up to the BA200.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #50 of 386
Being that I'm in your same position -- loving the BA200 above all and looking to get the TDK IE800 -- I'm looking forward to your views. Also, can you offer any very superficial comparisons between the BA200 and HiFiMan HE-400? Thanks!
Quote:
Due to my love of the BA200 (currently my favorite universal IEM under $400), I felt obligated to hear what the IE800 was about.  I've ordered it today and expect it sometime next week.  Looking forward to hearing how it stacks up to the BA200.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #52 of 386
Originally Posted by djvkool /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mine is also on the way to me - Amazon.jp has this cheaper than Amazon.com

Amazon.com - $150 + shipping
Amazon.jp - $110 + shipping

Good looking out, djvkool.  If ordered through Amazon.co.jp/Tenso (and you're shipping to the US),  the total comes to ~$135.  For US residents, Amazon.com is more expensive.. but the upside is that if you don't like the sound/fit, it's very easy to get a return/refund.  Adorama, who's the current (Amazon.com) IE800 reseller, has a no questions asked, 30-day MBG.  Returning the phones to Amazon.co.jp would be quite a bit more difficult, IMO.  That convenience alone might make paying the extra $15 worth it.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #53 of 386
I saw a FR of these and it looks great, just wish it had less bass. Someone try covering that top vent partially [do not recommend fully sealing any dynamics], it may tame the bass. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #54 of 386
Quote:
I saw a FR of these and it looks great, just wish it had less bass. Someone try covering that top vent partially [do not recommend fully sealing any dynamics], it may tame the bass. 

This one?

ie800_f.gif

Source

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #55 of 386
yes, it's a raw graph. Clearly, you can see it follows the DF pattern, which will make it flat to the ear past 1k. Bandwidth reaches to 20khz. Bass levels looks less than what that graph shows though, those levels are a bit too much imo but the mod I suggested may help with that. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #56 of 386
Quote:

Good looking out, djvkool.  If ordered through Amazon.co.jp/Tenso (and you're shipping to the US),  the total comes to ~$135.  For US residents, Amazon.com is more expensive.. but the upside is that if you don't like the sound/fit, it's very easy to get a return/refund.  Adorama, who's the current (Amazon.com) IE800 reseller, has a no questions asked, 30-day MBG.  Returning the phones to Amazon.co.jp would be quite a bit more difficult, IMO.  That convenience alone might make paying the extra $15 worth it.

Yeah, I'm in Australia and Adorama doesn't ship the IE800 to Australia, so my option is only ordering through Amazon.jp/Tenso 
wink_face.gif

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #59 of 386
Been listening for 4 days now. Still experimenting with tips and depth of insertion... but I think it's safe to say that I'm impressed. Very impressed. The soundstage is the immediate thing that stands out. I can see how some people might find it fatuiging. It takes depth, layering and multidimensionality to a level I've not yet heard in a universal.

Sparkle, treble exstension and very detailed mids are the next biggest attention grabbers. Will give more detailed impressions as I find better tip matches... but I know from the wow factor of the onset, that these are a pretty special set of phones.

Inks and Flysweep, you really ought to hear these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back