TDK BA200 Thread
Apr 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #138 of 1,509

Quote:

Any IEM with <50 ohm impedance should be easy to drive out of any DAP, phone, or any other type of portable device. How easy do you need it to be?

Ahh i see, never knew that as long as below 50 ohm is easy to drive.

DAP that i am using now is Samsung Galaxy S2, and now i am thinking to purchase poweramp apps. I have test that app and finish the free trial period :p after reading all review, that app would be a great boost for me to listen.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #139 of 1,509
Quote:

DAP that i am using now is Samsung Galaxy S2, and now i am thinking to purchase poweramp apps. I have test that app and finish the free trial period :p after reading all review, that app would be a great boost for me to listen.

Well, it's not exactly true. It's just that IEMs are mostly dependent on current, rather than voltage, and most modern devices will drive basically any device to have adequate current, unless the impedance really is super high. I chose 50 ohms as an arbitrary number.

Some full-sized headphones, like orthodyamics, have low impedance ratings despite being difficult to drive, and that is because orthodynamic drivers depend much more on resistance than reactance (the two vector components of impedance).

Long story short, even if my explanation doesn't make sense, you should have zero problems driving the BA200 out of anything.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #140 of 1,509

Quote:

Impendance isn't everything, you need to take into account the sensitivity too...

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #142 of 1,509
I'm gonna give these a try, as I'm looking for a decent pair of IEMs with short cable for a wireless rig. Currently using my Shure SE530 for that purpose, and if the BA200 turn out sounding better, I'll gladly pay the €200 that Amazon Germany wants for them. Anyway, since I can get a full refund if I don't like them, I thought I'd just give them a listen.

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #143 of 1,509
Quote:
I'm gonna give these a try, as I'm looking for a decent pair of IEMs with short cable for a wireless rig. Currently using my Shure SE530 for that purpose, and if the BA200 turn out sounding better, I'll gladly pay the €200 that Amazon Germany wants for them. Anyway, since I can get a full refund if I don't like them, I thought I'd just give them a listen.

€200 doesn't sound too kosher, though. I think the sound is worth that, but its market value is clearly not as high. Stereo ships internationally, AFAIK (wait, you might actually already know that). I can't imagine that you would dislike them, as I feel they have better clarity and details than the SE530. It's no airy, sparkle king, but it's adequate. One thing though, the SE530 is slightly better built, if that's a consideration.

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #144 of 1,509

Quote:

€200 doesn't sound too kosher, though. I think the sound is worth that, but its market value is clearly not as high. Stereo ships internationally, AFAIK (wait, you might actually already know that). I can't imagine that you would dislike them, as I feel they have better clarity and details than the SE530. It's no airy, sparkle king, but it's adequate. One thing though, the SE530 is slightly better built, if that's a consideration.

correct, other than short and flimsy cable plus the build quality (feels kind of hollow). This IEM can kick some other competitors at their level (100-150$ USD)

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #146 of 1,509
I recently purchased a pair of these, I love the comfort with the comply tips, but the sound seems a little muddied to me.

With the bi-flanges, it sounds about as good as anything I've listened to. Problem is, comfort with the bi-flanges sucks for me.

Can someone recommend a tip that sounds as close as possible to the bi-flanges but is more comfy?

Thanks.

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #147 of 1,509

Quote:
I recently purchased a pair of these, I love the comfort with the comply tips, but the sound seems a little muddied to me.

With the bi-flanges, it sounds about as good as anything I've listened to. Problem is, comfort with the bi-flanges sucks for me.

Can someone recommend a tip that sounds as close as possible to the bi-flanges but is more comfy?

Thanks.

The Shure silicone tips fit them and are more comfortable, but you might lose a bit of bass impact since they're single flange.

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #148 of 1,509
Quote:

The above suggestion works, but the only thing is that I found the sound slightly congested because of the excessively small-diametre opening of the Shure Flex tips. I would try to find someone with the TDK BA100 tips willing to trade for other types of tips; they're single flange and fit perfectly on the BA200. It's too bad they didn't bundle single flange tips with the BA200 as well. Fischer Audio DBA-02 tips work reasonably well too. Etymotic tips (their entire range) should also work, but comfort is variable, as no other company designs more 'invasive' tips.

I too prefer the sound of the dual flange tips, but honestly, I would say that the sound with the Comply tips is not as bad as you described it. It does smooth out details, but the presentation is quite pleasant, and anyone can listen to it for hours on end with zero fatigue. It is with the Comply tips that I felt the BA200 came closest to the UM3X presentation. I believe that was the intended purpose for pairing the Comply tips with the BA200 --- to give it non-fatiguing, monitoring capabilities.

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #149 of 1,509

Quote:

The above suggestion works, but the only thing is that I found the sound slightly congested because of the excessively small-diametre opening of the Shure Flex tips. I would try to find someone with the TDK BA100 tips willing to trade for other types of tips; they're single flange and fit perfectly on the BA200. It's too bad they didn't bundle single flange tips with the BA200 as well. Fischer Audio DBA-02 tips work reasonably well too. Etymotic tips (their entire range) should also work, but comfort is variable, as no other company designs more 'invasive' tips.

I too prefer the sound of the dual flange tips, but honestly, I would say that the sound with the Comply tips is not as bad as you described it. It does smooth out details, but the presentation is quite pleasant, and anyone can listen to it for hours on end with zero fatigue. It is with the Comply tips that I felt the BA200 came closest to the UM3X presentation. I believe that was the intended purpose for pairing the Comply tips with the BA200 --- to give it non-fatiguing, monitoring capabilities.

What about the black Shure silicones? The opening seems to be larger than the Flex's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back