TC Electronic BMC-2
Sep 15, 2009 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

SoundCarrier

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Have any of you used the TC Electronic BMC-2 ? It's a studio monitor controller with a built in DAC and headphone amp.

Here are a couple of links if you haven't heard of it:

TC Electronic | BMC-2
YouTube - [Musikmesse] TC Electronic - BMC-2

It's has just the features I need for my studio setup, but it's quite new so it's hard to find many user reviews (there are a couple of pretty positive posts over at gearslutz.com, but not much else).

Have you used this? What is the quality of the DAC and headphone amp like?

Thanks!

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #2 of 13
Hi,

I use it with my little home studio system as monitor controller and with my main hifi equipment for its built in DAC.

I write an review in french forum :

there

It is a wonderfull bargain at about 300 $.

For the quality of the headphone amp, i can not answer for the simple reason i have not headphone.

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 13
it's funny to read that they fight jitter....yet they don't offer a USB input, it doesn't look like a coincidence
biggrin.gif

and you know how we are, we like to know what DAC/op-amps are hidden in the box
wink.gif

the price is more like US $430 in Germany?

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundCarrier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Have any of you used the TC Electronic BMC-2 ? It's a studio monitor controller with a built in DAC and headphone amp.

Here are a couple of links if you haven't heard of it:

TC Electronic | BMC-2
YouTube - [Musikmesse] TC Electronic - BMC-2

It's has just the features I need for my studio setup, but it's quite new so it's hard to find many user reviews (there are a couple of pretty positive posts over at gearslutz.com, but not much else).

Have you used this? What is the quality of the DAC and headphone amp like?

Thanks!

Looks like a great device. What are you plans for it? -Do you have a recording system or are you interested mainly for listening to music?

Sep 19, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amertuollig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I write an review in french forum :

there

Merci bien Amertuollig! I don't speak French very well, but google translate and my limited knowledge meant that your review was very helpful. I have a question: what sort of speakers/monitors do you use?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like a great device. What are you plans for it? -Do you have a recording system or are you interested mainly for listening to music?

I'd really like something that I can use both for music production (connected to active studio monitors) and also for headphone listening for pleasure. Therefore, it's important that both the DAC and the headphone amp are decent quality I'm really wondering how this compares to something like a Lavry DA10 or a Benchmark DAC1. As it's about a third of the price, I wouldn't expect it to be quite as good, but I'm wondering just *how* big the difference will be. (i.e. is it something that I'll notice if I'm using studio monitors that cost around $1200 or my stock Sennheiser HD650s??)

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amertuollig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi SoundCarrier,

I use this Jean-Marie Reynaud Concorde Signature loudspeakers and this Lavardin Technologies - Model IT.

They are french products.

I have also a second BMC-2 to control Dynaudio BM5a.

Probably, i will do an english review soon.
normal_smile .gif

Thanks for the info Amertuollig. Those look like some very nice speakers! It guess it says something about this DAC if you bought a second one
icon10.gif

I've decided that I'm either going to either get the TC Electronic BMC-2 or go all out and get the Lavry DA10. The problem is that I just don't know if the price difference between the Lavy and the TC will be worth it in terms of sound quality. Hmmm.... decisions decisions!!

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #11 of 13
Knowing TC electronic, this is from the "detail 'till you die" school. If your system needs that, it's great.

The headphone amplifier is useless. It's powerful but low quality. Maybe if you have a set of high impedance, warm sounding headphones, then it's usable.

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 13
supposed to match nice w/ dynaudio monitors.

audiolab m-dac might be the way to go for moi.......   we'll see.......

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #13 of 13
  supposed to match nice w/ dynaudio monitors.

audiolab m-dac might be the way to go for moi.......   we'll see.......

ended up getting the Dangerous Music Source.  pairs brilliantly with my Dynaudio DBM50 monitors.

more expensive though at $900 or so...

http://www.dangerousmusic.com/products/source

Users who are viewing this thread

Back