TBAAM the best choice for me?
Mar 2, 2006 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mokpie

Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a new sound solution for my laptop's onboard. I was thinking about getting an Audigy 2 ZS PCMIA but then realized I could get a TBAAM, which do you guys think is the better choice? I use my laptop for music and gaming, and output is to sometimes computer speakers and sometimes headphones (I've got Sony MDR-SA1000, KSC75, Sony XD-400s, Sennheiser HD 497, Sony EX-51s)

Also, would I pair an amp with these? I've got a CMoy and a PA2v2

thanks

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokpie
I'm looking to get a new sound solution for my laptop's onboard. I was thinking about getting an Audigy 2 ZS PCMIA but then realized I could get a TBAAM, which do you guys think is the better choice? I use my laptop for music and gaming, and output is to sometimes computer speakers and sometimes headphones (I've got Sony MDR-SA1000, KSC75, Sony XD-400s, Sennheiser HD 497, Sony EX-51s)

Also, would I pair an amp with these? I've got a CMoy and a PA2v2

thanks

Sometimes TBAAM does not have enough power so clipping appears very oftern. If you want to use it please take this into consideration. I use it with PA2V2 or my home amp, so I can avoid clipping by reducing volume in my computer. It is a very good DAC for $30 can buy. If you adjust the EQ well, it shines.

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 12
i have a tbaam on the way to my house right now. i bought one because i didn't feel comfortable installing a soundcard in my pc.
anyone care to offer any tips or or words of advice to someone who's never used anything like this at all before?

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 12
has anyone had bad experiences running this on a heavily used PC? Ie while playing games etc. I had an Audigy 2 NZ or whatever, the USB one and it was terrible. Clicks, pops, lag, basically no clear sound unless i was doing absolutely nothing but playing music.

I've got a p4 at 2.9ghz and 512 mb ram and my laptop is centrino 1.73 ghz with 512 ddr2 so it wasnt that my computers couldnt handle it

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 12
fwiw....my wife commandeered mine for her ( our main rig) dedicated SLINGO machine. It's a 64-bit rig that runs 24/7.
Get the TBAAM/ hd201 combination. She even noticed how much her music improved.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #7 of 12
Actually I find the amp isn't that bad all things considered. It's way stronger than anything you'd find in a laptop and it's good enough for sensitive phones like IEMs and Grados (and I'm sure the ones you listed).

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #8 of 12
wow, just plugged this into my laptop with some senn. hd 212 pros and some flac "strawberry fields forever." For those of us just getting into the hi-fi game, this is a quick and cheap fix that sounds pretty awesome to me.

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 12
yes, plenty of people. if you'd have done a search you would have seen the posts about it.
i hope i can still surf the net while i listen listen to music without too much clicking and popping

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 12
i've been using it on my computer for a couple hours now while surfing the internet, opening applications, and haven't noticed a single "click" yet.

Mar 4, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 12
If there are clicks and pops it's a driver problem (not hardware) and can probably be fixed with a different usb-audio driver.

Under Linux I've never heard clicks, pops or dropouts even under extreme load. I'm sure there's a better Windows driver available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back