Target scanned my driver's license
Nov 24, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #18 of 33
This is why you should patronize that seedy liquor store in the strip mall. They don't even own scanning equipment.

P.S. Pay cash.

Nov 24, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #19 of 33
Walmart asked for ID on me to buy fuel injector cleaner because they said kids huff it! I walked out and bought it at the auto parts store.

P.S. Their is a lot of crazy ways to get high all listed in the Drug Bible. Fuel Injector cleaner ain't one of them.
wink.gif

Nov 24, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #20 of 33
Also, I am CLEARLY over 21.

And how do I know what info they keep, and for how long?

Nov 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why the paranoia all of a sudden?

What do you mean "all of a sudden" I've been paranoid for years. I'll show my ID, but with even a chance of identity theft, I won't had it over. I'll just do without whatever I was buying. Besides that clerk wouldn't be the first to be scanning ID's and selling them on his own initiative. Target doesn't have to be involved at all.

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I am CLEARLY over 21.

And how do I know what info they keep, and for how long?

Many local grocery stores proof everyone buying alcohol, regardless of age. They also proof everyone with the buyer. Just a CYA move, but I've never seen anyone scan an ID. Not sure I'd be comfortable with at.

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #27 of 33
Look at it this way: what if your insurance company paid Target (or was owned by Target's parent company) for your information re: the amount of alcohol you buy, and start charging you more in rates based on the info?

What if someone hacks Target's database and gets all that personal info on your driver's license and sells it to ID theives?

Just because you can't imagine all the ways a company or criminal can exploit your personal information doesn't mean the danger is not very real.

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #29 of 33
No the paranoia or reaction is for Target SCANNING the ID on the machine. They do that here as well everytime I buy wine and I dont like that system. If they look at it and check the picture and DOB and hand it over, I'm fine with that. But scanning it on a machine raises issues like redshifter brought up and I am not in favour of that system.

There are lots of potential loopholes in this system and its an unnecessary risk for buying wine or beer!

Nov 24, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #30 of 33
Well I concur gentlemen. Just don't buy alky-haul from friggin commie Target anymore. Thanks for alerting us redshifter to yet another deep penetration into the soft fleshy underbelly of our personal privacy(ies).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back