Tansio Mirai Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #1,516 of 2,407
Been trying the Sands from my 1Z today and they sound great and are a lot easier to drive than the IER-Z1R requiring between 30 and 40 on low gain whereas the Z1R requires around 70 on low gain. Only “problem” with the Sands is that the energetic sound sometimes just gets too much and I have to go back to the more euphonic sound of the Z1R to relax
Don't know if you are still using your silver cable on the Sands but was wondering if you tried the stock cable or even the PAC480 on with the 1Z? Silver might be a bit too much on the Sands to be honest.

I brought them to work with me today and this is the one earphone that actually matches better with less resolving cables.

Jun 6, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #1,517 of 2,407
Don't know if you are still using your silver cable on the Sands but was wondering if you tried the stock cable or even the PAC480 on with the 1Z? Silver might be a bit too much on the Sands to be honest.

I brought them to work with me today and this is the one earphone that actually matches better with less resolving cables.
This was with the stock cable, will try with the PAC480 as well. The Blanche was only used initially because at that time I didn’t have a 4.4 source with me, it probably is too resolving with the Sands

Jun 6, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #1,519 of 2,407
This was with the stock cable, will try with the PAC480 as well. The Blanche was only used initially because at that time I didn’t have a 4.4 source with me, it probably is too resolving with the Sands
PAC480 you will have to adjust to how you hear the Sands, might have to tip roll afterwards but once you get used to it. It will bring a different tonal character and generally be smoother thicker sounding Sands which is not a bad thing.

Jun 6, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #1,520 of 2,407
PAC480 you will have to adjust to how you hear the Sands, might have to tip roll afterwards but once you get used to it. It will bring a different tonal character and generally be smoother thicker sounding Sands which is not a bad thing.
Yes am now on the PAC480 and it is clearly less resolving than stock (less energetic/in your face) however it’s almost as if it takes a bit away from the character of the Sands. I also have to turn to volume up a few notches more than with the stock. Am using Azla Crystal tips

Jun 6, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,521 of 2,407
The PAC480 on the Sands works better with more neutral sources and the stock cable works well with warmer sounding sources. You might need a cable that is somewhere in between and that is what this one here is.

1654541108210.png

This one is called the ISN G4.. Not necessary to get another cable but try out some of your other cables. A more higher resolving pure copper variety like a higher end OCC or UPOCC type cable should do the trick. Sands are a bit finicky that way. Sands are worth toiling over though.

Jun 6, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #1,522 of 2,407
I’m assuming that the colour coded hole on each shell is a vent/port as I notice the sound changes quite dramatically if I lay on my side which probably blocks the hole ?

Jun 6, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #1,523 of 2,407
The PAC480 on the Sands works better with more neutral sources and the stock cable works well with warmer sounding sources. You might need a cable that is somewhere in between and that is what this one here is.

1654541108210.png

This one is called the ISN G4.. Not necessary to get another cable but try out some of your other cables. A more higher resolving pure copper variety like a higher end OCC or UPOCC type cable should do the trick. Sands are a bit finicky that way. Sands are worth toiling over though.
I’ve tried to order this one (comes without any plugs) as I already have 2 Blanche which use the same plugs (and I also have the Lightning and USB-C plugs) and I love the swappable termination

1F4DA50D-9DAF-420A-8A6A-93B47222153D.jpeg

Jun 6, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #1,524 of 2,407
Yup those are bass vents for the dynamics. Covering those makes the bass sound hollow not much in the way of bass decay and reverb.
I’ve tried to order this one (comes without any plugs) as I already have 2 Blanche which use the same plugs (and I also have the Lightning and USB-C plugs) and I love the swappable termination

Should be a good cable to try. I have the DUW-02 but not the new S so I dont know how that one will do with the Sands. I will try out the DUW-02 when I get a chance and report back later.

Jun 6, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #1,525 of 2,407
Yup those are bass vents for the dynamics. Covering those makes the bass sound hollow not much in the way of bass decay and reverb.

Should be a good cable to try. I have the DUW-02 but not the new S so I dont know how that one will do with the Sands. I will try out the DUW-02 when I get a chance and report back later.
Did you try Penon Leo Plus with Sands?:sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #1,526 of 2,407
Did you try Penon Leo Plus with Sands?:sweat_smile:
A technical cable on a technical sounding hybrid. Don't know if that would mesh well. My Leo plus is permanently on my IER-Z1R.
Unfortunately my Leo plus is mmcx. I suppose I can try it out with a 2 pin adapter. Can report back later on how it sounds with it.

Jun 7, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #1,529 of 2,407
Can't say what the volume sound like. Never heard them. But I can say Sands have been growing on me ever since I did my review on them. Might even change my rating on them. They are complicated but once figured out has clearly stuck out to me as being unique in the vast field of hybrids especially at the price range.

Will be trying out more cables match ups soon, was not able to try out a few I planned on last night. Got the IFI Gryphon last night and was toying around with that. Will be back with a report on my findings.

Jun 7, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #1,530 of 2,407
Back on the stock cable, the PAC480 looses too much of what makes the Sands special even if the stock cable sometimes makes them a bit too much. Looking forward to receiving and trying the Dunu DUW-02s with the Sands to see if it strikes the perfect balance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back