Tansio Mirai Impressions Thread
May 3, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #1,441 of 2,407
one and a half years ago, I used TSMR-3, TSMR-3 Pro.
Sands... 3BA + 1DD i'm so expect to this

May 23, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #1,442 of 2,407
WM1Z ++.jpg

sand_in_time.jpeg

DSC_0042.jpeg

DSC_0051.type 2.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg
DSC_0006.jpeg

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #1,443 of 2,407
Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #1,444 of 2,407
May 24, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #1,445 of 2,407
Love the sand stone with the Sands! Great pics!
Actually your right, sandstone does look like marble, especially if the marble is not polished. Just looked it up.

May 24, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #1,447 of 2,407
I have been able to spend some decent time with the Sands. I had the PAC480 from before the jaw-dropping discount. Here are my impressions:

The PAC480 warms it up some but the Serial's cable is much more comfortable. I am using the Serial's cable.
The Sands sounds much better with the FiiO Q3 than with the Cayin RU6, the Paw S1, and especially the L&P W1.
The Sands' cable on the Penon Serial is wonderful and improves the Serial, IMO.
The Sands' rendition of female vocals is decent, male vocals are a joke.
The Sands does well with some classical music.
The Sands pretty much sucks for pop, hard rock, and blues music.
The Sands has a small niche in my herd. I will be keeping the Sands.
The SeeAudio Bravery, having a Sonion mid and Knowles high, has the same details as the Sands but they are not in-your-face like the Sands. If someone thinks the Bravery is lacking in details, well...
I think the SeeAudio Bravery and the Penon Serial are superior overall to the Sands for everything except for the pursuit of "details" that are emphasized.

I think Tansio Mirai accomplished what they wanted to do with the Sands, i.e. make a very technical-forward set for under $350. The question is, is that is what you want?

Sands didn't sound great with N3pro but with the DTR1...Amazing! Looking forward to the pac cable to arrive!

Yeah, the Sands is niche for me, not an all-rounder. That said, Sands has taught me things about audio I would not have known without purchasing the unit. For example, depending on the IEM, a cable can make a huge difference in sound. I am now a cable-believer. A technical unit absolutely has merits but the Sands confirms that that is not my overall listening preference.

I think my crystal ball of purchases is saying a Canon is in my future (on sale). :wink:

I would love to read about your impressions. Please compare the Sands to the B2, also. Happy listening!

I look forward to your impressions.

Thank-you.
Yes, I’m actually finding it very source dependent.......... yet after you find a great source then it seems fine. I will try to replicate your opinions in regards to male vocals? But actually with the 1Z it seems somewhat well rounded? I’m going to keep looking and allow burn-in, but really it’s quite the positive experience all the way around so far? Definitely one of the clearest IEMs I’ve ever laid my hands on, that with a big soundstage!

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #1,449 of 2,407
Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #1,450 of 2,407
May 28, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #1,452 of 2,407
Excellent and very informative review as usual with some beautiful pics ,

How about the note weight and vocals , are these on the thiner side because of the bright nature of the Sands ?

Thank-you for the compliment!
That is the best question if had all day. If you saw in the review, I put the Sands up against the Rose Technics QT-9 MK2S. That’s the kicker, the Rose was missing much of the physicality (note weight) that was the main issue I had with it. Almost the only issue I had was the note weight with the Rose. And that is what made the Sands so good, the added note weight! Miles better!

It’s hard to pin down as a little less (note weight) is just the territory we are visiting with the Sands. I mean that’s how the pace and imaging and the incredibly good soundstage are created, partially by a style of note weight. IMO

As far as vocals, the Sands seems like a generally vocal-centric performer. The funny thing is we might even look at the term “vocal-centric IEM” as derogatory? Here it seems is a balanced display with vocals being experienced stronger simply due to overall character.

But to me it’s very even, while still being true to the brighter nature of the response.

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #1,453 of 2,407
Excellent and very informative review as usual with some beautiful pics ,

How about the note weight and vocals , are these on the thiner side because of the bright nature of the Sands ?
It’s interesting as now that the review is over you would think that I would stop listening to the Sands? But no, I simply continue listening to them, even when I should be listening to a new review IEM to learn that ones traits.

The Sands does music in a way that’s both familiar and new. It’s that part that I can’t get enough of. And today, yes I would call these vocal IEMs. With-out a doubt they could be looked at as that.

The note weight is also what’s cool, and all I need, while still walking the line of being revealing, detailed and paced. The bass is also one of the best parts being so very sculpted and physical!

Heaven!

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #1,454 of 2,407
Thanks! As your usual with your reviews, detailed and colorful!

My experience with the Sands’ midrange is quite different than yours.

Notably this: electric guitars that are positionally correct and sound real

My experience is that the Sands is nasal and thin with guitars and male vocals.

With my unit, BB King’s Lucille sounds more like Albert Collins’ Telecaster than Lucille (and BB’s singing has a spike almost getting into Bart Simpson territory). I have owned and played for years both an Epiphone ES 335 and numerous Telecasters. I cannot even tolerate how the Sands replicates Johnny Marr on the Rick. The way my Sands unit accentuates the lower treble spikes of the Rick is pretty much unbearable.

The closest earphone/headphone analog that I have for the Sands is the DT990. I own it but always reach for my DT 880 or 770.

I know we have agreed upon the sound signature of the Yume in the past. There seems to be huge gulf between our experiences with the Sands. Maybe I have a defective Sands unit and that is the cause of the difference?

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #1,455 of 2,407
Thanks! As your usual with your reviews, detailed and colorful!

My experience with the Sands’ midrange is quite different than yours.

Notably this: electric guitars that are positionally correct and sound real

My experience is that the Sands is nasal and thin with guitars and male vocals.

With my unit, BB King’s Lucille sounds more like Albert Collins’ Telecaster than Lucille (and BB’s singing has a spike almost getting into Bart Simpson territory). I have owned and played for years both an Epiphone ES 335 and numerous Telecasters. I cannot even tolerate how the Sands replicates Johnny Marr on the Rick. The way my Sands unit accentuates the lower treble spikes of the Rick is pretty much unbearable.

The closest earphone/headphone analog that I have for the Sands is the DT990. I own it but always reach for my DT 880 or 770.

I know we have agreed upon the sound signature of the Yume in the past. There seems to be huge gulf between our experiences with the Sands. Maybe I have a defective Sands unit and that is the cause of the difference?

I truly believe the Sands reacts to different sources. I tried it on the Walkman WM1A and it was hell. I changed cables and moved to the 1Z and it was absolutely great! It’s fine if we disagree as that’s what Head-Fi is about, differing subjective views. :)

I play guitar and have had almost too many to remember. The only one I miss is a 1979 Les Paul Standard, it was so low key, it had different tuners, but all stock. It had the original pick-ups. :frowning2: Though it was missing the pick-guard...........I sold it and miss it! Though I have three acoustic guitars now, a 20 year old Martin and two hand made custom guitars. One is a “flat-top” guitar, made to my own specifications.

The Sands guitar sounds real to me, though slightly darker, but still real. That’s what is weird that in the brightness the guitars have a dark amber light shown on them. Sorry I love the Sands, it’s one of the greatest IEMs I have ever heard? Still everyone is different! Have you tried a bunch of sources with it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back