Tangent makes a META42 for himself
Nov 21, 2002 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

tangent

Top Mall-Fi poster. The T in META42.
Formerly with Tangentsoft Parts Store
The last full-size META42 I made for myself was way back when v1 was just getting started. And, I haven't actually seen that amp in months -- it became a demo amp and has been on tour since June or so. (jude?
rolleyes.gif
)

So what with a few new things happening in the META42 space and a few ideas I've borrowed or come up with, I decided I needed to make a second full-size META42 for myself. Herewith, my new pride and joy:

Front View:
silver-h1455-meta42--front.jpg

Rear View:
silver-h1455-meta42--rear.jpg

Angle View:
silver-h1455-meta42--angle.jpg

Innards:
silver-h1455-meta42--inside-w-mlinkxfeed.jpg

The daughterboard is a crossfeed board. Details to appear soon in a more appropriate forum.

You can see 4x stacked Elantec buffers which barely fit underneath the crossfeed board. All the other parts under there have more breathing room, though only the op-amp is really accessible without unbolting the crossfeed.

Thanks to Matthew Herndon for the basic case ideas. He asked me for an amp configured like this several months ago but then changed his mind; but I liked the idea enough to go ahead and order the parts with an eye towards building one like it anyway. Then recently, I saw a similar-looking amp here; I don't know if Matt talked to that guy, too, or if it's just an obviously good set of ideas. Anyway, I like this style a lot -- it's a really nice alternative to the look of amps in black Hammond 1455 cases.

Nov 21, 2002 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 52
Is that hole in the knob for mounting a LED?

And what kind of power jack is that? Just a DC or some other type? Looks big enough to remind me of Speakon & Poweron jacks though.

Nov 21, 2002 at 7:57 AM Post #4 of 52
So that is what the master listens through at home. It's a beauty.

I love the power switch rocker!

Nov 21, 2002 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 52
All I can say is incredible job Tangent!! That is one well put together amp you got there!!! I am nost impressed with the overall fit and finish of the entire item!! Some companies don't even come close to the QC and attention to details that you have so well done in this amp!!

OBTW, those are some HUGE caps you got stuck in that there amp!!!

Great job overall!! If it sounds anywhere near how good it looks, you got yourself a realy winner on your hands. The question is, how long will you have it on your hands???

Nov 21, 2002 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 52
Just looked at the amp again and thing that struck me was the headphone jack. What is that thing? I really like the design of it.

Nov 21, 2002 at 8:37 AM Post #8 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by blip
Just looked at the amp again and thing that struck me was the headphone jack. What is that thing? I really like the design of it.

i think its a neutrik jack...

Nov 21, 2002 at 9:10 AM Post #11 of 52
Where can I get that exclosure??????

Nov 21, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #15 of 52
Hi, Tangent!

The inside of your amp is really beautiful. A real masterpiece! (Maybe you should leave the enclosure open to let people look inside...!?)

I have a little question about the Neutrik jack. As far as I knew from the RS people in Italy, the metal body of the jack is connected to signal ground. So it could introduce a ground loop in the amp, if there is another path via the enclosure to signal ground. May I ask how did you deal with that?

Thanks for your answer,
Massimo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back