Tanchjim in ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 31, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #331 of 1,514
I got my Oxygen yesterday and so far it's been less than 24 hours with them but I'm quite enjoying it. I do remember reading mixed opinions about the Oxygen's sub-bass, some reviewers were saying the O2 goes deeper than KPE and others saying KPE has more sub-bass quantity (20-60Hz). At least to me, I'm with the people who find the KPE has more sub-bass oomph. It's even clearer when listening to some electronic stuff such as Jon Hopkins - Emerald Rush (I can remember feeling the sub-bass air popping even in the intro on kpe - which was fantastic for an IEM going that low) or even instrumentals Behind the Shadow Drops - Utopia - which has better texture on O2 but less oomph.

The low-midrange seems where the Oxygen starts to show improvements, it's punchier and faster, perfect for drums and it's playing incredibly well with my favorite bands and sort of what I was looking for, a more engaging version of KPE. Midrange I'd say male vocals are crisper than KPE, female vocals seem ok. Highs, in general, are polite and there's a better extension after the 10kHz which gives a slightly more airy presentation and sense of space, but if you feed Oxygen with an analytical source/amp it sounds too airy which isn't the best pairing IMHO, definitely I'd go with some warmer source if you can.

So, if you like bass-head music Oxygen might not suit you as well as the KPE. If you like instrumentals, progressive stuff Oxygen might give you a more engaging version of the KPE. Some people reported it also improves with the time so my impressions can change in the future.
Your words are exactly how I would compare the 2. Btw which cable are you using?

@chancool I agree at times I feel the excitement is lacking on the O2 and that's why I am looking at the kxxs and tfz no.3 ti.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #332 of 1,514
some can say i got the upgraditis. next stop gonna be qdc, maybe im gonna try their new hybrid if i like it thats nice but i don't then i prolly get the VX

Coming from the Oxygen, I absolutely love the VX. I highly recommend it if you enjoy the Oxygens!

May 31, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #334 of 1,514
i will demo them soon, i hear they have absolute top notch resolution and clarity. i wonder how i like em.

but basically its between 8ss/gemini/vx

which ever i liked the best. can't wait for july to try them all.
Yeah, the resolution and clarity is absolutely insane. Even my Andro S doesn’t sound this clean. I haven’t tried the 8ss, but I’d like to some day.

May 31, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #335 of 1,514
Yeah, the resolution and clarity is absolutely insane. Even my Andro S doesn’t sound this clean. I haven’t tried the 8ss, but I’d like to some day.
all i do is looked at the graph right now.

gemini might the the one i like the best cuz of that treble looks more aggressive but who knows. i hate the fact that i don't have local store to demo qdc stuff

EDIT:

aight i change the tip to a more wide bore. it does open up the sound. i think my hybrid tip reduce HF which gives me the feeling of darker than it should be.

totally prefer it right now, hybrid tip and sony tip have really narrow bore compared to stock tips bore. manage to get right tip (while waiting for my acoustune 07)

i totally don't recommend getting a tip with barrow bore for this iem. the bass "increase" is due to the reduced high freq.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #336 of 1,514
its a DIY service from local DIY-er.
its great, improved the bass response by significant margin. its even faster and tighter than before (like if i can give it a number 10-15% this is a sjitty assumption to make it easier to understand cuz there is no way to quantify this). upper mid also improved abit female voice sound sweeter (but still need some improvements) treble is still meh i guess nothing can help this beside eq.

Sure, I'm also into quality > quantity, but I think it's kinda odd people finding it has more sub-bass than KPE, might the seal wasn't good for them.

Btw, have you tried removing the mesh filter on nozzle? I got a pack with a lot of extras filters in the same package along with the tips, so if you mess this one you can replace it, usually it opens the treble a bit.

Your words are exactly how I would compare the 2. Btw which cable are you using?

@chancool I agree at times I feel the excitement is lacking on the O2 and that's why I am looking at the kxxs and tfz no.3 ti.

It's a really basic one, you can find it searching for "h3 h5 cable" on Aliexpress, but it's smooth and rather comfortable. (potato pic)

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #337 of 1,514
Sure, I'm also into quality > quantity, but I think it's kinda odd people finding it has more sub-bass than KPE, might the seal wasn't good for them.

Btw, have you tried removing the mesh filter on nozzle? I got a pack with a lot of extras filters in the same package along with the tips, so if you mess this one you can replace it, usually it opens the treble a bit.

It's a really simple one, you can find it searching for "h3 h5 cable" on Aliexpress, but it's smooth and rather comfortable. (potato pic)

this crap about treble is the result of my idiocy nvm that.

im using a narrow bore tips which kinda cucked the high frequency by significant margin.

how i don't realize this is beyond me. should have used the stock tip from the start.

i guess im just super comfortable with sony hybrid tips that i just automatically change it to them.

waiting for my acoustune 07 and hope for a better fit than stock tip

also removing the mesh is kinda scary im scared that my ear goo gonna go inside the iem. (eventho i think my ear is clean)

Your words are exactly how I would compare the 2. Btw which cable are you using?@chancool I agree at times I feel the excitement is lacking on the O2 and that's why I am looking at the kxxs and tfz no.3 ti.

IMO getting kxxs are just a side grade. also i don't trust tfz tuning most that i tried (king pro, secret garden series) all of them are kinda bad and have v shaped to them.

IMO u should look at the tips ur using, in which i find mine to ha e narrow bore which reduce the High freq.

altho changing to big bore does help but it still lack that excitement that some people want in their iem.

i advice trying moondrop A8 or Fearless S8F (might be too intense, it also have quite small stage) but both are really good for the price. not a totl killer but the are alright

imo better save up for real upgrade instead of spending on side grades

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #338 of 1,514

The No.3 Ti is a natural upgrade with more excitement :p

Agreed. The VX boasts good clarity but may sound thin for the top end at times. Recommended configuration is Up, Up, Down. :)

IMO getting kxxs are just a side grade. also i don't trust tfz tuning most that i tried (king pro, secret garden series) all of them are kinda bad and have v shaped to them.

IMO u should look at the tips ur using, in which i find mine to ha e narrow bore which reduce the High freq.

altho changing to big bore does help but it still lack that excitement that some people want in their iem.

i advice trying moondrop A8 or Fearless S8F (might be too intense, it also have quite small stage) but both are really good for the price. not a totl killer but the are alright

I agree that TFZ has this typical house sound hence I was impressed when I tried the No.3 Ti as it is a departure from the house sound. A statement piece indeed. Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #339 of 1,514

Agreed. The VX boasts good clarity but may sound thin for the top end at times. Recommended configuration is Up, Up, Down. :)

I agree that TFZ has this typical house sound hence I was impressed when I tried the No.3 Ti as it is a departure from the house sound. A statement piece indeed. Cheers! :)
But when you have time I am looking forward to you comparing the tfz no.3 ti to the oxygen+upgrade cable as this will be very interesting. After the ucl final please report back haha.

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #340 of 1,514
this crap about treble is the result of my idiocy nvm that.

im using a narrow bore tips which kinda cucked the high frequency by significant margin.

how i don't realize this is beyond me. should have used the stock tip from the start.

i guess im just super comfortable with sony hybrid tips that i just automatically change it to them.

waiting for my acoustune 07 and hope for a better fit than stock tip

also removing the mesh is kinda scary im scared that my ear goo gonna go inside the iem. (eventho i think my ear is clean)

Thanks for the advice but after all my iems it seems like I prefer single dd's over anything else. There's something about balanced armature that just does not sound natural to me. The only affordable single dd's I have yet to try are the kxxs and tfz no.3 ti. I tried the flares pro the other day and must say although it has exceptional clarity and nice soundstage the vocals are quite thin sounding so I am returning those back and especially because it is very hard to drive off phones and tablets.

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #341 of 1,514

then it certainly is interesting, but i gotta try it. especially after trying a bunch of their product (and not even liking a single one) u can see where my skeptisism comes from hahahaha

if they are really good then thats good. more option for us consumers :)

Thanks for the advice but after all my iems it seems like I prefer single dd's over anything else. There's something about balanced armature that just does not sound natural to me. The only affordable single dd's I have yet to try are the kxxs and tfz no.3 ti. I tried the flares pro the other day and must say although it has exceptional clarity and nice soundstage the vocals are quite thin sounding so I am returning those back and especially because it is very hard to drive off phones and tablets.

ah i see, well then xelento might be a nice upgrade option then. but they are quite expensive.

or get ex1k (but no iso) also great :)

quite hard to find a next step up for a single DD unit. but me personally i would try get the ex1k (altho it can be too piercing on your ears)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #342 of 1,514
then it certainly is interesting, but i gotta try it. especially after trying a bunch of their product (and not even liking a single one) u can see where my skeptisism comes from hahahaha

if they are really good then thats good. more option for us consumers :)

ah i see, well then xelento might be a nice upgrade option then. but they are quite expensive.

or get ex1k (but no iso) also great :)

quite hard to find a next step up for a single DD unit. but me personally i would try get the ex1k (altho it can be too piercing on your ears)
I know where you are coming from. The No.3 Ti will surprise you given how it is a departure from the house sound, hence a statement piece. The Xelento is a good choice for TOTL single dynamic driver iems. Haven't take it out to listen to for quite some time. Will probably do so in the next few days. Personally, I prefer the Acoustune HS1650 CU. Enjoy & Happy listening, as always! :)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #343 of 1,514
Ive never believed in "burn-in" but I think im experiencing something like that with Oxygen... maybe its just my imagination or me getting used to the sound but I feel like they sound about 2% better every time I pick them up. Or maybe not... they sound great nonetheless. :)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #344 of 1,514
Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #345 of 1,514
The No.3 Ti is a natural upgrade with more excitement
... I agree that TFZ has this typical house sound hence I was impressed when I tried the No.3 Ti as it is a departure from the house sound. A statement piece indeed. Cheers! :)

Have you had a chance to chart it? I'm kind of hoping the upcoming IMR R2 Aten will be in a similar vein- all the good stuff of the Oxygen upgraded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back