Tanchjim in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #241 of 1,509
All I can say is:
1) consider Your source gear/amping sound signature in equasion and "add it up" to IEM
2) be sure about Your HEARING response - if You don`t like a bit raised mid-bass (like I do), then KPE is OK and no need to "upgrade".

Imho, KPE mid-bass is not "dry" and has great texture, it is just damn FLAT in mid-bass, which is hard feature to find among most chi-fi IEMs.

Well, my problem with KPE isn't actually its sound but it's the condensation issue and oxidation on the shell that I was getting (atm my KPE is in China for repairing). I guess I'm just unlucky because of the wheater of my country but after-5-10x when you need to stop your favorite song because of that condensation imbalance you just get tired and even though the SQ is superb the annoyance it causes is just bigger.

Also, CoiL, as you've said gear/amping definitely changes the synergy you're getting and I can understand you have found the perfect balance. But... Most of the people aren't using either hardware modified DAPs or custom nozzle grills on KPE so... bear in mind your opinion definitely will vary coming from stock KPE grills and normal DAPs/sources.

It's like If I add micropore tape over the nozzle to tame sibilant highs for some specific IEM and I think strange when someone complains about its sibilance in stock. :p

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #242 of 1,509
Also, CoiL, as you've said gear/amping definitely changes the synergy you're getting and I can understand you have found the perfect balance. But... Most of the people aren't using either hardware modified DAPs or custom nozzle grills on KPE so... bear in mind your opinion definitely will vary coming from stock KPE grills and normal DAPs/sources.
True, but despite those mods... my opinion still stays pretty much same - mid-bass is FLAT with great texture. What I hear (trying out different gear with KPE) is that with my source/amping gear (DX5X) slightly improves bass tightness and punch and soingstage/imaging is larger.
Highs have tad more sparkle and "air/space" with modified nozzle grills + lengthened tips positioning.
Differences with stock are rather minor and overall sound is basically same :wink:
Will soon update my FR graphs as I`m near finishing my fine-tuning of iMM-6, But If You saw my earlier measurements, then difference vs. stock grills and tip positioning was quite small.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #244 of 1,509
Have had my oxygens for 2 days now and must say I personally feel it is better then the kpe's for me. Here the midrange is absolutely phenomenal and completely crushes anything any other iem for vocal that I have listened to. I feel everything is an upgrade to the kpe apart from it is slightly less exciting and has a bit more gentle approach aswell but on the plus side you can listen to it for hours and ends. Wow has the midrange taken me by surprise! I am using the tanchjim upgrade cable aswell.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #245 of 1,509
Have had my oxygens for 2 days now and must say I personally feel it is better then the kpe's for me. Here the midrange is absolutely phenomenal and completely crushes anything any other iem for vocal that I have listened to. I feel everything is an upgrade to the kpe apart from it is slightly less exciting and has a bit more gentle approach aswell but on the plus side you can listen to it for hours and ends. Wow has the midrange taken me by surprise! I am using the tanchjim upgrade cable aswell.

So this the end of your quest then?

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #247 of 1,509
So this the end of your quest then?
Yeah after soo much time on headfi and buying several iems I feel the 02's are the perfect iem for me. Now I am using them with my Samsung galaxy Tab S4 for the perfect portable movie experience I have ever felt because the stage and vocals on these when combined with the 10.5 inch amoled screen is breathtaking! If I ever were to buy another iem again it would be the Sony ex800st as some people have really special praise for them especially regarding there huge stage. But overall I am really buzzing now! :)

Also out of curiosity how would you compare the 2 my friend?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #248 of 1,509
Yeah after soo much time on headfi and buying several iems I feel the 02's are the perfect iem for me. Now I am using them with my Samsung galaxy Tab S4 for the perfect portable movie experience I have ever felt because the stage and vocals on these when combined with the 10.5 inch amoled screen is breathtaking! If I ever were to buy another iem again it would be the Sony ex800st as some people have really special praise for them especially regarding there huge stage. But overall I am really buzzing now! :)

Also out of curiosity how would you compare the 2 my friend?

I agree completely with your assessment, the only "criticism" I'd level at at the Oxygen is that they are maybe just a tad too "polite".

Apr 22, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #249 of 1,509
So since I don't know exactly my KPE's fate I just sold my ER4B and IM02 and pulled the trigger on Oxygen and ER2SE, damn... I couldn't resist it after reading all good positive impressions here and seeing these pictures:

UPMHRFo.jpg

kXCoPH6.jpg

SjTHw8m.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #250 of 1,509
My pair of Oxygens arrived yesterday; I also purchased the Tanchjim upgrade cable mainly for comfort/ease of wear but the feedback on sound in this thread also factored into the purchase. I've only opened the package, and given them a brief listen this morning. The intent of my post is just to share some initial impressions for the sake of conversation; not to contribute towards anyone's decision to purchase.

-Shipping from China was pretty fast. I ordered the Oxygens off Amazon, and it was about 3 weeks to delivery. I ordered the upgrade cable from Penon and it arrived ~5 days earlier.
-The packaging is nice. Everyone seems to emulate the Apple box approach, which is fine with me. Everything was neat inside and well packaged.
-The iems have a nice weight to them without being heavy of clunky
-I got a great fit right away with the stock tips
-They practically disappeared in my ears 5 minutes in to listening.
-The upgrade cable is really nice with it's woven, braided outside. Very pliable, and comfortable. No comment on changes to the sound, as I went straight to this cable.
-I guess it's worth noting that I bought these primarily for travel. I had a pair of Oppo PM3s, but had the itch for some iems, and also loved the smaller form factor for travel.
-My first impression is that these are a fun, musical set of iems. I was immediately bobbing my head and tapping my toe without realizing it. That is a nice first impression, versus other times when I feel like I'm being too analytical right away and not enjoying a new toy.
-It'll take more time, but my intial impression on sound is full mids, enough bass to compliment the music and be accurate without beign overwhelming or too light, enough treble to highlight details and separation without being treble forward. This is pretty much my ideal signature, as it tends to make things 'musical' sounding to my ears.
-Oh yeah, the small carrying case is a nice touch. The iems, and cable fit just fine, and the case is quite small.
-I only plugged the Oxygens into my iPhone XS via the dongle, so I'm just barely scratching the surface.
-Later tonight, I'm going to do an extended session with my Hugo 2. Aside from the obvious step up with that DAC/Amp, I'm also looking forward to hearing MQA on these iems for detail retrieval.
-My first impression is that I am very happy, and these are going to be great for travel, or anytime I want to listen in the house and not be tied to my system.

Apr 24, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #251 of 1,509
Well, coming from the KP I had a What moment when I initially listened to the BL1, basically they sounded veiled with significant weight in lower midrange and recessed upper midrange, midrange is quite the opposite to that of KP (and to that of Oxygen to a lesser extent) to my ears. Bass feels relatively flat with some mild midbass emphasis and there is, or rather there was as this seems to be going away, a quite high treble spike. Despite all this they quickly grew on me and I like them a lot now. I have no regret purchasing them. If I am not mistaken, this is the only full range micro planar available, at least for a reasonable price (just a little over £100 with the sale rebates and coupons) and its performance is not disappointing..

OK guys, I got myself a Dayton IMM-6 mic and DiYed a neat coupler out of a plastic funnel and some punched rubber and I've just started experimenting with it so this is not serious measurements but just to show diifferences between Oxygen, KP and BL1 (and how bad BL1 looks, explaining the What in the quoted post).

Oxygen 2.png

Kanas Pro 2.png

BL1 2.png

:)

Apr 24, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #252 of 1,509
OK guys, I got myself a Dayton IMM-6 mic and DiYed a neat coupler out of a plastic funnel and some punched rubber and I've just started experimenting with it so this is not serious measurements but just to show diifferences between Oxygen, KP and BL1 (and how bad BL1 looks, explaining the What in the quoted post).

wow KP an O2 measure so similar, BL1 looks very uneven

Apr 24, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #253 of 1,509

Bass is way to high. If you used the REW software I could send you the preference settings.

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #254 of 1,509
Bass is way to high. If you used the REW software I could send you the preference settings.

Might look like it but then Sony MDR-EX1000 measures almost completely flat using the exact same setup so I don't know...

EX1000 2.png

Apr 24, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #255 of 1,509

So bl1 is KZ tier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back