Talk me out of the iPhone
Nov 24, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #76 of 94
menu_r1_c1.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #77 of 94
I went with a ATT TILT for flexibility. Recently I got an Ipod Touch for music, videos, Safari, and apps. I added a wifi router to the TILT so that I can use the Touch on the road.

There are a number of issues with the Touch that would keep me away from current Iphones.

1) Limited download capability

2) Limited internet audio streaming capability

3) Limited PDA capability

4) Limited Bluetooth capability

5) No user replaceable battery

6) No memory expansion

7) No cut and paste

8) No tethering

Touch PROS:

1) App store

2) Great for videos

3) Great for ordinary web browsing

4) Great for casual gaming

5) Good for music and podcasts

So with a TILT and Touch, I have more functionality than with an Iphone alone. In an emergency I have been able to connect my PC to my phone for broadband speed Internet.

So beware the limitations of the Iphone.

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #78 of 94
Just bought myself an iPhone 3G pay-as-you-go for £390. Definitely a good investment. Without unlocking it, the PAYG contract gives free broadband for a year. Or I can just unlock it and take it to another country (which is what I'm doing).

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #79 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iPhone is great! I would strongly reccomend getting one, syncs with outlook no problems, thousands of apps, lots of free ones. good synergy with lots of headphones UE, Etys, Grado. beautiful design, user friendly. etc. etc. Its shortcomings ie bluetooth, mms you hardly notice after a day or so 'caus your blow away by how good everything else is!

damn straight; please don't listen to the haters. if the iphone is missing something that YOU know that YOU need, than obviously, get something that has what you need. but unless you can't live with the few shortcomings that it has, the thing just blows everything else away, and those that don't admit this either have some sort of grudge, or are justifying their purchase of a windows mobile device

if you're a programmer or IT engineer, than perhaps you want something that you can fiddle to death. but for 99% of REGULAR FOLKS out there, we want something that just ****ing works and is fun, useful, and cool. we don't care about every last detail and most geeks don't get this. i'm a tech-lover and i still want something simple, that works and is fun. i don't want to hassle

as far as the future is concerned, it's all about the iphone and android. nothing can touch them.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #80 of 94
iPhones are awesome. I would've went with one except I hate the data plans in Canada, and an unlocked one costs around $700-800. So I bought a Nokia N79 instead. NA needs more Symbian love.
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #81 of 94
As much as I want the iPhone, I will only buy it if Apple sells it unlocked out of the box (I'm in the US). Paying money for a carrier-locked phone is illogical, and I find it mind boggling that consumers in the US love paying for a locked iPhone.

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #82 of 94
The iPhones are great if you have an Apple setup at home, use the iPhone to remote control iTune etc..

I have nothing against the iPhone apart from its price.

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #83 of 94
I cant type on the dam thing....well i could, but its like a child learning to type for the first time.

I have big hands and fingers, which is why...if you can type on it, god bless ya =)

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #84 of 94
why not just get an iphone clone. i saw one on the philadelphia craigslist.org for $140. anyone have any experience with the clones?

2forty

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #86 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the iphone is totally and completely awesome. but AT&T service totally sucks. every person I know who has it, only complains about calls being dropped. I would wait till apple gets out of their contract and goes to a more reliable network, then get it.

Could not have said it better! I need a phone first, the other features second. Where I live (Southern CA) ATT reception is non existent (zero in my home and very low at work). That was the deal breaker for me. Ended up with the Storm (my wife also got one) and we both are very happy with it.

Jan 31, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #88 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Man of Genius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My coworker took his iPhone back and got a Blackeberry. He liked the interface and all but he just had too many problems with it locking up on him.

Do you happen to have that the other way around? The general consensus is that the iPhone OS is much much more stable than the Storm. I do not know one person who has bought a Storm and not complained about bugs.

The only issue I really have with the iPhone is the terrible ATT service. Other than that, the pure usability and polish of the device and software is so superior to any of the other smart phones.

Most people who talk about the cons of the iPhone have not spent more than 20 minutes with it. That is because the learning curve of the phone is about 20 minutes.

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #89 of 94
i think the iphone is a great device if it lets you do the things u want to do. but its very restricted artificially in what it can do, like it has bluetooth but is effectively useless as you cant do anything with it.

decide on the features you want then find a phone that best matches them. as cool as i think the iphone looks its limitation would have me launching it out the window and i cant think of anything it does that my P1i cant do but i can think of plenty the iphone cant that my P1i does

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #90 of 94
it is restricted which i am not happy about but i am glad it has certain restrictions. i would jailbreak my touch 2g but think ill pass even when the jailbreak is released. it is just too... well what? at touchmyapps.com we had some reports of security problems with jailbreaks.

but if i had a phone and the iphone was smaller, i would go for it. it is a bit large. as for typing: the secret is not to use the flat of your fingers, but the side of your fingers. my wife who has small fingers cannot type with it if she just uses it like a keyboard. i ahve much bigger hands and can type very well considering if i use the sides of my fingers.

secrurity problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back