Talk me out of the iPhone
Nov 4, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #46 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He didn't mention A-GPS at all, do you know what you're talking about?

He mentioned GPS. A-GPS is assisted GPS. Do you have any idea what YOU are talking about??

EDIT: read the post by Henry as well. Thanks.

All the things I thought would be deal breakers for me (MMS, full BT capabilities, copy and paste, no flash slot, no removable battery) have all been non issues for me. The battery life does suck ass so I will not sugar coat that. Turn off all radios and you can extend the runtime at least.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #47 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He mentioned GPS. A-GPS is assisted GPS. Do you have any idea what YOU are talking about??

EDIT: read the post by Henry as well. Thanks.

All the things I thought would be deal breakers for me (MMS, full BT capabilities, copy and paste, no flash slot, no removable battery) have all been non issues for me. The battery life does suck ass so I will not sugar coat that. Turn off all radios and you can extend the runtime at least.

He mentioned REAL-TIME GPS, not A-GPS.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #48 of 94
Quote:

I know what he mentioned. I am saying A-GPS seems to be a better solution over regular GPS in a cell platform. jeez.

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #49 of 94
Quote:

Real Time GPS is currently being developed by TomTom if I remember correctly. Al late Q4 2008 or an early Q5 2009 release is expected.

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #50 of 94
The iPhone is great, I refuse to even attempt to talk you out of it
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #51 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headfi is a demanding site... ?? where ?
iPhone doesnt play any flash content so it is loading half the internet. :p

its not demanding for a computer but handing java messaging popup PMs numbers of large banners, multiple frames etc. etc. on a hand-held is pretty good; all in full resolution too no mobile downsampled content on here

do you actually have any background in coding for handheld devices to be able to say whats demanding or not
wink.gif

flash sucks anyway. lol have you ever tried animating in flash? its the most backwad key frame animator ever.

I admit flash would be good on the iphone if they could do it but I cant say i've missed it that much while on the road.

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #52 of 94
is it just me or is everyone who is bashing the iphone on this thread not an iphone owner? Also, unless I missed it not one iphone owner has complained about anything other then it's lack of business awesomeness.

I own a 3G iphone, I'm 19, I'm a pre-med student, I play video games, I work in IT. I use my phone for work and personal e-mail, I typically don't use it as my DAP (I use an 80gig ipod video) but sometimes I do and it does a great job, I also keep movies on it (which play very nicely). I use to keep my nails extremely long and still had no problem with the keyboard, they are short now and I must say it is easier without them but my long nails didn't give me any trouble. I've tried very hard to use the keyboards on blackberries but I can't, They are too small. I have very tiny fingers but I just can't use them, I miss buttons and make a big mess. Iphone's onscreen keyboard is great, you miss a letter and it will fix it for you no problem (although it doesn't seem to know medical terms well) I like my iphone because it works, it syncs quickly to itunes and lets me download all my games and music and whatever else onto it no problem. Being someone who works in IT I like all my personal gear to work with absolutely no effort on my part. I like my personal electronic world to be very simple.
Apple is my favorite for electronics because there is no getting tossed here and there when something is broken. You buy it from apple, apple fixes it, apple replaces it, apple recycles it when it's time for a new one. I use to work in circuit city and with a PC or phones from other companies, we would have people come in with broken things they bought in other places and we had to charge them a ton of money for simple repairs because the company they bought it from does not stand behind their product like apple does. When your apple product is broken you call up their tech support or make an appointment to go into the store. Go visit them with your gear and they fix it or replace it no problems. They do not send you out of the store unhappy. They also have great warranties, odds are if it is broken and the warranty is over it's time for a new one anyway.
I bought my 3g Iphone the first day it was out and it wasn't perfect. The backlight was leaking onto the screen so the next day I stop back into the store and even though they had a HUGE line out the door of people waiting to buy iphones they pulled a new white one off the shelf and gave it to me, no questions, no problems, no waiting. Customer service like that is hard to find.
As far as GPS I don't see what more someone can want. The iphone was not designed to be a GPS you stick to your dashboard and have it talk to you. That just wasn't the goal. If you're lost or looking for the nearest sushi restaurant the iphone will do exactly what it was designed to do. It will locate you and then locate whatever you tell it to and give you step by step directions you can flip through. Or if you prefer just let you watch yourself move along the road to see what direction you are going.
I have never owned a smart phone other then the 3G iphone and don't pretend to know what I'm talking about when it comes to blackberry or any of the others but from the limited amount of time I've used a blackberry (my father's) I can definitely say I would never buy one. The keyboard, the internet, e-mails, It just looks silly on there. Everything (I saw) was text based and tough to use.

I don't understand apple haters.

Nov 5, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #53 of 94
What do you do in IT? Just curious!

Nov 5, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #54 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it just me or is everyone who is bashing the iphone on this thread not an iphone owner? Also, unless I missed it not one iphone owner has complained about anything other then it's lack of business awesomeness.

I own a 3G iphone, I'm 19, I'm a pre-med student, I play video games, I work in IT. I use my phone for work and personal e-mail, I typically don't use it as my DAP (I use an 80gig ipod video) but sometimes I do and it does a great job, I also keep movies on it (which play very nicely). I use to keep my nails extremely long and still had no problem with the keyboard, they are short now and I must say it is easier without them but my long nails didn't give me any trouble. I've tried very hard to use the keyboards on blackberries but I can't, They are too small. I have very tiny fingers but I just can't use them, I miss buttons and make a big mess. Iphone's onscreen keyboard is great, you miss a letter and it will fix it for you no problem (although it doesn't seem to know medical terms well) I like my iphone because it works, it syncs quickly to itunes and lets me download all my games and music and whatever else onto it no problem. Being someone who works in IT I like all my personal gear to work with absolutely no effort on my part. I like my personal electronic world to be very simple.
Apple is my favorite for electronics because there is no getting tossed here and there when something is broken. You buy it from apple, apple fixes it, apple replaces it, apple recycles it when it's time for a new one. I use to work in circuit city and with a PC or phones from other companies, we would have people come in with broken things they bought in other places and we had to charge them a ton of money for simple repairs because the company they bought it from does not stand behind their product like apple does. When your apple product is broken you call up their tech support or make an appointment to go into the store. Go visit them with your gear and they fix it or replace it no problems. They do not send you out of the store unhappy. They also have great warranties, odds are if it is broken and the warranty is over it's time for a new one anyway.
I bought my 3g Iphone the first day it was out and it wasn't perfect. The backlight was leaking onto the screen so the next day I stop back into the store and even though they had a HUGE line out the door of people waiting to buy iphones they pulled a new white one off the shelf and gave it to me, no questions, no problems, no waiting. Customer service like that is hard to find.
As far as GPS I don't see what more someone can want. The iphone was not designed to be a GPS you stick to your dashboard and have it talk to you. That just wasn't the goal. If you're lost or looking for the nearest sushi restaurant the iphone will do exactly what it was designed to do. It will locate you and then locate whatever you tell it to and give you step by step directions you can flip through. Or if you prefer just let you watch yourself move along the road to see what direction you are going.
I have never owned a smart phone other then the 3G iphone and don't pretend to know what I'm talking about when it comes to blackberry or any of the others but from the limited amount of time I've used a blackberry (my father's) I can definitely say I would never buy one. The keyboard, the internet, e-mails, It just looks silly on there. Everything (I saw) was text based and tough to use.

I don't understand apple haters.

I have an iPod Touch, looked at the iPhone, various Blackberries and the E71. I settled for the E71 because it had everything.

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #56 of 94
^LOL.

If you need it the phone for real work, get a Bold or E71. If your just a techy who wants another toy, the iPhone will suffice despite what all the apple haters will say(dont worry, I generally don't like new post os 9 apple users too).

I'm only 21 and have been using smart phones since I was 17, just because I love gadgets and have always been well connected with them to not worry about costs. I've used Treos, Blackberrys, Symbian, Windows mobile, and both iterations of the iPhone after installer(then cydia) was released. I used to change phones like women changed shoes until the phone was hacked. I was at MacWorld 2007 and thought this and the air were both an epic fail for the same reasons(I use the opposing x300 btw :p with xp and leopard).

But like already mentioned, all the common complaints about the phone minus keyboard, are fixed with jailbreaking. Why doesn't apple just let the phone be this way(or their damn products in general)? When they're bogged down with too much, they start to bug out(not that Safari already doesn't do that on its own). You can't honestly tell me that Windows mobile has never choked on you guys? Apple doesn't want that same thing to happen with their products. So instead of being able to do everything half assed, just let the device do a handful of things well.

But if you hate iTunes, having to convert your downloaded avi files, and no user replaceable battery. Get the bold or E71. Luckily for me i've learned to live with iTunes, and syncing it every now and then doesn't kill me(Luckily I didn't get a 3g until the bugs got fixed). I also don't watch movies on the small ass screen, I'll leave that to my eeepc or a future Lenovo S10
biggrin.gif
And since I have so many damn toys, I'm gonna be around something that can charge my phone before battery life becomes an issue. The experience I get with Safari is worth the sacrifice.

The only real downside to me about having an iphone is looking like a tool when I pull it out to use it, even though my themes and settings don't look like other iPhones.

Nov 6, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #57 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by akki007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you do in IT? Just curious!

man, just dont ask after this remark
"The keyboard, the internet, e-mails, It just looks silly on there. Everything (I saw) was text based and tough to use."

Who the hecks works in IT and found this part embarrasing ?

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #58 of 94
Wow, way to be obnoxious. I work with DOS it isn't that text based is a problem but a tiny letters on a tiny screen where it is nothing but text is annoying. I am an assistant network administrator.

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #59 of 94
Wow... so people really do buy mobile phones, i had assumed that it was just a viral!

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #60 of 94
HiFiRE. So, how do we do?
wink.gif

Have we been able to talk you out of it already, or do you still need reasons why not to buy an iPhone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back