Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 10, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #1,351 of 4,535
I have 0 distortion, even at very high volume. Instead of that i noticed a lot of errors in the recordings with these headphones, even things like static noise in video game sound effect that i never heard with the pro 80. Sometimes the treble too much for my taste, but that maybe my setup too.
I chechked my pro 82 at the website and its says its original. (1.6 m cable version, ordered in 2017 dec)

Edit: i also have the vibrating noise sometimes, but its totally random, one day i have it, one day its 0.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,352 of 4,535
I am pretty sure its distortion because I tried lowering the volume and the vibrating voices ceased to occur. I also tried different headphones like my razer electra and some iems and got no distortion at high volumes.

We must be hearing something different then. There was a sound added at 4:30 and again at 4:52 which sounded similar to distortion. I did not notice any change in voices even when running at extreme levels. Burn in could help but it could be something else.

Your amplifier has a max power handling of 420 mW at 16 ohms. Now since it's lacking detailed specs I will assume this is 420mW at 1k which means a 1 KHz sine wave near 1% THD (which is a lot of THD). Keep in mind it takes very little power to produce 1KHz vs producing say 200Hz and 200Hz takes very little relative to 20Hz. The Takstar Pro 82 is 32 ohms so immediately the power on your amp is rated at 210 mW probably at 1K near 1% THD. What I'm trying to get at here is there is a very real chance you are running out of head room on your portable amplifier.

Edit: I was doing my listening from an amplifier rated at 1552 mW at 32ohm 1% THD I'm guessing at 1KHz although its not stated. High end amplifiers are generally rated at .1% THD at 20Hz-20KHz. When not stated always assume the worst.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #1,355 of 4,535
It's the same as saying to people that there are "potentially murderers walking around your house" - no one can disprove such a statement, and it will definitely cause people to feel uneasy.

I understand that you are concerned, and are trying to help, but you have to consider the unintended consequences of warning people of a (potentially non-existing) problem, unless you have hard proof.

I think the murderers analogy is awful but let's not kick off with another argument.! I'm sure that we both agree that it is counterproductive and only clutters up the thread.

I'm not going to get into a point by point reply but do take issue with the insinuation that I was deliberately omitting detail for 'impact'. I don't know you and you don't know me so it is a bit of a leap to know what my intent was. I'm pretty straight up and the reluctance to mention the seller (Headphoniaks) was simply a desire not to single out a particular company, irrespective of where in the world they may be based. The bit you've written that I've highlighted in bold actually quite succinctly sums up my intentions for making my post. No agenda, no ulterior motives and written with the good intentions. I'm not looking for my 15 minutes of fame and in all honesty would rather have not brought it up but equally but equally when I feel something may be untoward I'm not the sort of person to turn a blind eye.

I do however understand your concern about casting doubt in people's minds when there may or may not be an issue here , so I have reworded my post so that it is hopefully a bit more 'diplomatic' for want of a better word. The suggestion to check authentication codes was aimed at existing owners in the hope it would help nip things in the bud concerns rather than cast doubt in the minds of others.

Anyway, this thread has been derailed enough so I will move on having said my piece .We will no doubt need to agree to disagree on many things but that's life :)

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #1,356 of 4,535
So I burned the headphones in more. I expected the distortion to go away but it was still there. I tried it with other headphones again but now I can hear the distortion with any of them. I guess it was really the song after all with that weird effect of distortion.

I easily mistook it for hardware problems because
the OOTB respose was so bad that I had to raise the volume to uncomfortable levels to hear subbass which actually caused the distortions I kept on hearing.

After 48 hours of burn-in the subbass is AMAZING without having the need to turn on any bass boost whatsoever.

At this point, I could still hear the distortions. What really was happening was that the pro 82 output was so clean that I could hear every imperfection in the sound, which was a first since I only bought bass-heavy headphones which muffled details like this.

So to those who actually said that it was distortion after all, I'm sorry for dismissing your suggestion too soon. It was actually a mixture of that and the need for some more burn-in AND the cotton mod.

Feb 11, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #1,357 of 4,535
So I burned the headphones in more. I expected the distortion to go away but it was still there. I tried it with other headphones again but now I can hear the distortion with any of them. I guess it was really the song after all with that weird effect of distortion.

the OOTB respose was so bad that I had to raise the volume to uncomfortable levels to hear subbass which actually caused the distortions I kept on hearing.

After 48 hours of burn-in the subbass is AMAZING without having the need to turn on any bass boost whatsoever.

At this point, I could still hear the distortions. What really was happening was that the pro 82 output was so clean that I could hear every imperfection in the sound, which was a first since I only bought bass-heavy headphones which muffled details like this.

So to those who actually said that it was distortion after all, I'm sorry for dismissing your suggestion too soon. It was actually a mixture of that and the need for some more burn-in AND the cotton mod.
You can definitely here recording problems in today's loudness war, the clipping of the limiters and compressors as they gain over 0db, In 70's recording's I hear the punching of the channels in and out as they mix live and the age of the tape drops outs where the tape has been over used.

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #1,358 of 4,535
Haha! This pair of phones indeed made me change my tastes in music.
It's getting weird because the more I burn them in by playing at max, the more it fixes the issue. Although I could still hear some, leaving it for a few more hours might make it go away permanently.

I tried for fun my new silver pair, not burn-in. With Sabaj DA2 and O2 amp set to 1x (yes!), I can safely state there is a difference between new and used Pro 82 - it's not that apparent as with some other headphones, but clearly there is. On one of my favorite songs to test bass & vocals I can hear a difference - vocals harsh on new pair, velvety on the old one. Maybe applies to bass also, but I'm not a basshead [anymore].
Notes: a) you should pick up the mentioned track somewhere outside the Youtube for a better quality, b) I did a regular burning using "JLab_burn_in_file" for about 3 days and since than using the Pro 82 almost exclusively. New ones are almost unused.

@oldmate: where is your pair so you can safely say it's a junk not worth 80 bucks? Mine was 63 actually... and I'm more than happy with O2 amp (Massdrop edition) and Sabaj DA2 (IDEA exact copy including box & cables)

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #1,360 of 4,535
Selling my Pro 82's, listed in the for sale forum. Perfect shape, $70 shipped with case, stock pads and HM5 pads :thumbsup:

Pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/ReUVi

To anyone looking at this offer who's planning on using the HM5 pads with the Pro 82 make sure you buy foam tuning discs. The stock headphones came with them built in and the thin fabric at the back of the HM5 pads is not enough IMO.
Edit that said excellent deal.
Edit 2: Tuning discs now included. Excellent and convenient deal :ok_hand:

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #1,361 of 4,535
To anyone looking at this offer who's planning on using the HM5 pads with the Pro 82 make sure you buy foam tuning discs. The stock headphones came with them built in and the thin fabric at the back of the HM5 pads is not enough IMO.
Edit that said excellent deal.

Aha, as it happens I already have the tuning foams that BenF linked. Might as well include them then!
https://imgur.com/gallery/vj5kv

Feb 11, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #1,362 of 4,535
While we were debating driver difference in the takstar, someone already made lengthy measurements of new/old takstar pro 82s, and measured the bass boost options.

Safe to say, there are multiple huge differences such as a completely different magnet assembly.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/takstar-pro-82/

I'm definitely enjoying my 2nd pair more than the 1st one.

Feb 11, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #1,363 of 4,535
While we were debating driver difference in the takstar, someone already made lengthy measurements of new/old takstar pro 82s, and measured the bass boost options.

Safe to say, there are multiple huge differences such as a completely different magnet assembly.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/takstar-pro-82/

I'm definitely enjoying my 2nd pair more than the 1st one.

Very informative article thank you for that. Looks like the "real" pair has a bigger magnet and thus more controlled/restrained bass as well as better sound. I'm curious if the other pair is definitely fake or if it's an older production run and Takstar made major changes. At any rate I've confirmed mine have the "real" drivers. The frequency response graphs look right to me as well. Seems to be very similar to what I'm hearing.

Interesting that both real and fake pairs have lots of sub bass which contradicts some peoples experience leading me again to think they are experiencing a problem with getting the headphones to seal properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back