Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 7, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #886 of 4,535
Do you really use a couple of HA-2 as stand for the SMSL IDEA?? :stuck_out_tongue:
That's an HA-2SE used as a stand for HA-2 - makes it easier to adjust volume.
Combined they make a very nice 600$ stand for the Idea. Would have been a 900$ stand, but my second HA-2 is still in the original packaging.

Jan 8, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #887 of 4,535
Saw this feedback in one of the other stores selling Pro 82:
upload_2018-1-8_15-6-46.png

Don't forget - TakstarAudio isn't the cheapest store on Aliexpress, but it's the factory store - so it's the only store that cares about your experience beyond getting your money and positive "seller feedback", and will pack your headphones perfectly.
Check the first post for the head-fi discount.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #892 of 4,535
I received the Pro 82 about 12 hours ago, and it does sound great but I have a problem with rattling on bassy tracks. It was very apparent on the bass shaker test here. I have 4 different amps (Chord Mojo, R2R-11, Gustard H10, Stoner Acoustics UD125) and it rattle on all of them. The left channel rattles louder than the right channel but both rattles pretty hard at very low frequencies (10-30 Hz). I've tried with both 3.5mm and 6.5mm, both exhibits the same behavior. Can anyone with a Pro 82 do the same test for me, it hope its only me so that I can request an RMA.

EDIT: The bass shaker test is under the "Quality" section if anyone's wondering.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #893 of 4,535
I received the Pro 82 about 12 hours ago, and it does sound great but I have a problem with rattling on bassy tracks. It was very apparent on the bass shaker test here. I have 4 different amps (Chord Mojo, R2R-11, Gustard H10, Stoner Acoustics UD125) and it rattle on all of them. The left channel rattles louder than the right channel but both rattles pretty hard at very low frequencies (10-30 Hz). I've tried with both 3.5mm and 6.5mm, both exhibits the same behavior. Can anyone with a Pro 82 do the same test for me, it hope its only me so that I can request an RMA.

EDIT: The bass shaker test is under the "Quality" section if anyone's wondering.

I was able to get it to rattle a little towards the beginning and even a little at the end of that test, but only on the left driver, at about 11 o'clock on high gain on my Schiit Magni 3. I also got similar results at similar loudness levels on my Yulong U100 DAC/amp and original Schiit Fulla.

Funny thing is, I had never heard that before in any song, and when I played a song at those levels, they were too loud for my poor ears.

(This, in contrast to a pair of eGrado I had which exhibited that rattle in one channel at normal listening levels on my iPhone at low frequencies in certain tracks... annoying, and I had to send them in for repair.)

UPDATE: I found that the normal listening level for me on the Magni 3 is a tiny bit north of 9 o'clock on high gain (I tend to leave my Magni 3 on high gain since I use it more frequently to drive harder to drive headphones, which I often will have at 12 o'clock on said 'phones on high gain.)

Even 10 o'clock starts to get a little too loud on modern tracks, and it's not anywhere near the level I need to get the rattle.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #894 of 4,535
I was able to get it to rattle a little towards the beginning and even a little at the end of that test, but only on the left driver, at about 11 o'clock on high gain on my Schiit Magni 3.
Thanks for your comments. This is exactly the same behavior I get out of my pair. Louder rattle on the left driver. But I asked @ahmadfaizadnan about his pair, he said that his pair plays the bass shaker test cleanly, no rattle at all. My Monolith M1060 also plays the bass shaker test smoothly and cleanly, even at very high volume. I suspect that the Pro 82 may have bad batches, like both mine and yours.

EDIT: After made some more tests, and the rattle seems to exist only on the left driver. I got it mixed up, Pro 82 has pretty bad bass texture I mistakenly took it as rattle. Maybe I'm just so used to planar bass.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #895 of 4,535
I've had my Pro82s for over a month now and really enjoy them for portable use. The comfort is unbeatable, sound isolation is great, and the low end is very controlled.

A question for everyone in the thread, has anyone taken these headphones apart (or at least removed the pads)? I was thinking of adding a Bluetooth receiver inside the headphones but I'm not sure I'll be able to get the pads on again. If anyone has some details on their experience (maybe even pictures) that would be much appreciated.

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #896 of 4,535
Thanks for your comments. This is exactly the same behavior I get out of my pair. Louder rattle on the left driver. But I asked @ahmadfaizadnan about his pair, he said that his pair plays the bass shaker test cleanly, no rattle at all. My Monolith M1060 also plays the bass shaker test smoothly and cleanly, even at very high volume. I suspect that the Pro 82 may have bad batches, like both mine and yours.

EDIT: After made some more tests, and the rattle seems to exist only on the left driver. I got it mixed up, Pro 82 has pretty bad bass texture I mistakenly took it as rattle. Maybe I'm just so used to planar bass.

I did this test with B8, Pro 82 and TH900MK2 - driven by O2+HA2.
Pro 82 does have some slight rattle in the beginning and end of the test, but not as much as B8.
Big surprise (or not at all?) - TH900MK2 has A LOT MORE rattle in the beginning and end of the test, it's very easily noticeable.
Kinda makes sense, since Fostex has boomier bass.

Don't think anyone owning Fostex is losing sleep over this, and neither should Pro 82 owners.

As for M1060 - it is supposed to ace this test, just like most planar headphones. Due to a different technology, planar drivers produce less noise due to a smaller amplitude of movement.
So no bad batches of Pro 82 :jecklinsmile:

I would advise any new Pro 82 (or any other headphone really) owner to avoid synthetic tests and concentrate on music - at least until you have solid opinion on the headphone, and won't be easily swayed by the results of synthetic tests.
There are 3 tests on that page that I do use often to test new headphones though - "Driver Matching" and two tests in "Wiring".

P.S. This test is quite unpleasant to listen to, I feel sick having listened to it 8-9 times in 30 minutes.
:thermometer_face:

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #897 of 4,535

Yeah, I only heard it in the left driver on mine.. and only when at volumes higher than what I listen at, and since I got my headphones used and without warranty anyway, I'm not really in any position to do anything about it, and thankfully, it doesn't affect my usage so I'm okay with the minor flaw. :L3000:

As I mentioned earlier, it's not like my eGrado's, which I had to send in because they were driving me crazy as one driver would rattle on certain tracks at my normal listening volume.

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #898 of 4,535
The "Quality" section is to test the headphone build quality which is in this case, the Pro 82 pass in flying colors. I think the rattle is meant for the headphone's body not the bass. But, as I listen to the bass, I did realize the vibration that comes from the headphone bass. I also found that headphones with cleaner bass tend to vibrate more. My HD800 vibrates from the beginning to the end of the test. While having less bass quantity, HD800 does have a clean bass. THX00 does vibrate more than Pro 82.

There's no technical issue there I guess.

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #899 of 4,535
The "Quality" section is to test the headphone build quality which is in this case, the Pro 82 pass in flying colors. I think the rattle is meant for the headphone's body not the bass. But, as I listen to the bass, I did realize the vibration that comes from the headphone bass. I also found that headphones with cleaner bass tend to vibrate more. My HD800 vibrates from the beginning to the end of the test. While having less bass quantity, HD800 does have a clean bass. THX00 does vibrate more than Pro 82.

There's no technical issue there I guess.

It's not just vibration, it's a distinct rattle of the driver (like a knocking noise), and it's only the left driver, but as I mentioned earlier, I've never heard it on anything but that test and at higher volume than I listen to the headphones anyway, and like @BenF said, I found listening to it very unpleasant -- and I don't mean because of the rattle, but to the contrary, the parts that didn't rattle were more unpleasant at that volume.

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #900 of 4,535
I would advise any new Pro 82 (or any other headphone really) owner to avoid synthetic tests and concentrate on music - at least until you have solid opinion on the headphone, and won't be easily swayed by the results of synthetic tests.
I just took the "Poorly built or extensively worn headphones may start to rattle whenever loud or deep bass content is played" statement at face value. The rattle might come from badly constructed drivers, as my other 2 dynamic headphones (M100 and XB950) don't suffer from the same problem.

The Pro 82 itself is a great headphones as a whole though. I just played 3 straight hours on CSGO, and its positional cues and imaging trumps my M1060 completely. It also has wider soundstage than the M1060 which is an open back headphone. Separation and layering is much better than M1060 too. Vocals and treble are not too great though, both are too harsh for my liking. Might do some mods as mentioned in the previous threads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back