Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 23, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #301 of 4,535
No bass head here either but I like to feel it when it kicks, same as you I suppose. The fact that you called them rough and less sophisticated got me wondering though. BenF calls them close to estats regarding this aspect so there's something missing in these reports. It seems that you know what you're doing but no harm asking anyways: are you playing flacs or better? Also, I'm 50-50 on burning in, can make a difference or not (technology says no, some people ears says yes).

Regarding speed, attack, and decay, they are not as fast as my 668B's, but at the same time, they aren't as sibilant. To give you my personal opinion on them being 2x the price, they are not... But then again sound is very subjective as most of us know so the only way to really know is to listen to them yourself. But I can see them being better than most headphones ranging from 60-80, but with deals everyday, you can get a DT770 or a ultrasone hfi 780 for maybe 20-30 more dollars when a promotion pops up. So that makes it a little more complicated, but in terms of straight MSRP, I'd say they sound like 110-120 dollar headphones.

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #302 of 4,535
I would agree.Need few more hours of listening,though.I only tried some heavy stuff,not the whole spectrum.They're very easy to drive,very loud,I'll try diferrent sources.Maybe they're too light for the power they have?
P.S.
Don't forget to help me with taking off the pads...

EDIT: never mind ,I took them off.Little scary business.
EDIT 2:I changed pads for Brainwavz hybrid-don't bother guys,bass flew away and what's left is sad.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #303 of 4,535
I'm eyeing these as well, can you tell us how are you running them? Are you using an amp? If yes, what kind? Your post concerns bass modes off or on? Last two impressions (yours included) left me a bit puzzled. There is some uncharted space between BenF raving reports and other users. I can't find the middle ground feelings that are supposed to exist in (almost) everything.

Btw BenF if you're reading this, you got me wondering when saying that clarity and detail rivals estats. Are you guessing or from own experience (no malice, just asking)?

We all hear different, have different amps dacs, players, music et.. Add personal preferences and we have a mess that is very subjective.

There are people who feel that 50usd on ears beat 7k stax systems they own and sold after finding a holy grail of headphones for 50 bucks. I'm sure a person can feel that way but it propably is not how the majority hears it.

I like to give some months before spending money on something hyped. Ovet time a general consensus is found and then we see If a product is just a fotm or something to get actually excited about.

About pro82 rivaling clarity and detail of e-stats I'm a bit sceptical. My experience is that hd800/800s barely compares to cheapest stax systems. If sub $100 closed headphone can do better than open back hd800 that is something we will hear on multiple sources soon. Not saying it is impossible but I find it highly unlikely...

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #304 of 4,535
We all hear different, have different amps dacs, players, music et.. Add personal preferences and we have a mess that is very subjective.

There are people who feel that 50usd on ears beat 7k stax systems they own and sold after finding a holy grail of headphones for 50 bucks. I'm sure a person can feel that way but it propably is not how the majority hears it.

I like to give some months before spending money on something hyped. Ovet time a general consensus is found and then we see If a product is just a fotm or something to get actually excited about.

About pro82 rivaling clarity and detail of e-stats I'm a bit sceptical. My experience is that hd800/800s barely compares to cheapest stax systems. If sub $100 closed headphone can do better than open back hd800 that is something we will hear on multiple sources soon. Not saying it is impossible but I find it highly unlikely...

Edit: and I really want to emphasize that people who love pro82 are in no way wrong. There is no right or wrong on this. I'm just talking about general consensus and how majority might perceive things :)

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #305 of 4,535
Well, thanks to Peicille and Ossy_TK now we have some additional usefull info, I hope more will contribute with good and bad.
So I see these cans brought a little down to earth now and in the boring category of good for their money and thats all (mind you thats €91 including delivery in EU from the only store with stock in Spain, so not very cheap for a chi-fi in the first place).
I'm a little disappointed about the last developings, was seriously considering these for the home setup which is now vacant. Had Superlux hd681 evos but sold them after a few months due to fatiguing and kind of bloated bass (fun in the beginning though). I'm looking for neutral or slight v-shaped cans with fast and controled bass in sufficient quantity to feel the oomph when it kiks, good extension both sides, clarity and soundstage, below €100. Ordered Bosshifi B8 on Ali for this use (a bit of shot in the dark as there are not many reviews) but they are almost sure lost on delivery and pending dispute.
Was also considering Philips shp9500 but these are murder to get in EU.
Now pro82 got roughened up a bit and lost some of its shine.
Hm, cant see were to go now, bdt770/990 mentioned before are a bit over the budget and lack removable cable.
Must think some more and continue on iem for home use for now.
Sorry for the post slightly off topic, just spilling the guts a bit.
In the end, owners please post more impressions of pro82, comparisons with cans you own help very much. Thanks.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #306 of 4,535
I'm gonna say this: i listened more,I compared to other headphones on the fly,I tried them on the Android phone,and my personal conclusion is this:if you have 100$ (I paid 107$ 'cause it was held by Customs and they charged me with 23% VAT plus some fee) and you're not in desperate need for new headphones-keep saving.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #307 of 4,535
Now with more opinions available I'm still interested on pro82. I hold pro80 and hi2050 in great value. Pro82 does not have to improve much to Be The best sub $100 headphone available. I think pro80 is easily in the same category as headphones that cost twice as much... Dt770, m50, hm5 and such.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #308 of 4,535
I'm gonna say this: i listened more,I compared to other headphones on the fly,I tried them on the Android phone,and my personal conclusion is this:if you have 100$ (I paid 107$ 'cause it was held by Customs and they charged me with 23% VAT plus some fee) and you're not in desperate need for new headphones-keep saving.

Thanks for all the info man, will keep looking. Stay safe.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #310 of 4,535
Now with more opinions available I'm still interested on pro82. I hold pro80 and hi2050 in great value. Pro82 does not have to improve much to Be The best sub $100 headphone available. I think pro80 is easily in the same category as headphones that cost twice as much... Dt770, m50, hm5 and such.
Never listened to Takstar Pro80,but Pro82 are absolutely not on par with dt880 600ohm I own.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #311 of 4,535
Well, lets here some more from owners of both then. Please share.
It has been a long Time since I've listened to them side by side. My hi2050 drivers are currently in my earmuffs. "you know when you are are an audiophile": when you have to replace The drivers of your hearing protectors :)

Anyway... Some feel that takstars are quite v-shaped but I always thought those were fairly balanced. Highs are quite grainy on both but I know sibilance issues are quite dependant on The Gear used. Warm/neutral amp should fix that issue.

Hi2050 was one of My first headphones when I started out with just $20 asus dg and I have since upgraded to $3000 amp+dac combo. Unlike most cheap headphones pro80 and hi2050 scale up with better gear. That tells that takstar did alot of things right with pro80 and hi2050.

As compared to each other I prefer pro80. Sound is pretty much The same but pro80 sound a bit More refined and surprisingly has a larger soundstage than open hi2050.

Overall I really like The soundsignature. It is like classic beyer dt880 blended with senn hd600 lush mids. Or vice versa... Hd600 with beyer sparkle insted of quite timid and veiled sennheiser presentation.

Both takstars just sound right. Not the best bass, most transparent mids or refined highs but overall performanssi is very good.

That is what it is about, especially with cheaper headphones; not finding the "best" headphones but the one that does least things wrong. Those are The ones you Will hold on for years.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #312 of 4,535
Never listened to Takstar Pro80,but Pro82 are absolutely not on par with dt880 600ohm I own.

Nor is pro80. I also had dt880 and I think it is clearly better than takstar's and dt770. Ever heard t1? Used ones are really cheap these days. I highly recommend trying. Imo it is a huge upgrade. Larger than going from hi2050 to dt880.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #313 of 4,535
Nice effort Roderick and thanks; now if someone can put this in perspective with our subject pro82...

Aug 24, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #314 of 4,535
Nice effort Roderick and thanks; now if someone can put this in perspective with our subject pro82...
Thanks. My current favorites on cheap headphones are B6 and B7 but both need a pad change and preferably some mods. I'm yet to hear b8 but If those have fixed the issues that B6 and B7 have b8 are Killers.

Also For $20 superlux hd681 are also outstanding value. Those are REALLY harsh on highs and for that reason I'd recommend slightly More expensive hi2050 for small budget buyers. Hi2050 might be out If stock everywhere though. And If not it would propably cost a lot More than $30 it did 5 years ago.

Heh...got me thinking of few years Back. Selection of headphones has improve but not such a no brainer deals anymore. Best was digitech Pro monitor headphones for $50. That is a hm5 clone with extra set of hm5 pads and a nice carry case. The pads alone would cost allmost as much today. I bought three pairs back in the Day... Should have bought More :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back