Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 16, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #4,278 of 4,535
I don't mean this to be rude as you are very helpful and kind ITT, but how do you get so many of the AliExpress store coupons?
If you are talking about coupons specific to the TakstarAudio store, it's a very simple 1-step process:
1) You ask them

As for the generic Aliexpress coupons - I find them posted elsewhere on the Internet, sometimes on Aliexpress itself.

I appreciate your turning me on to my gm200. Don't think I will ever find a better pair of bass head closed backs for near that price.
GM200 is definitely an improved version of the hugely popular $1700 Fostex TH900.
So is Pro 82, but Pro 82 is for audiophiles, while GM200 is for unapologetic bassheads.
It's incredible how GM200 manages to provide all that high quality bass, without sacrificing the rest of the spectrum.

Jul 18, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #4,279 of 4,535
Once again. Difference between stock and hm5

20220718_141415.jpg

20220718_141520.jpg

Jul 18, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #4,280 of 4,535
GM200 is definitely an improved version of the hugely popular $1700 Fostex TH900
I mean, I haven't heard either headphone, but I've just gotta challenge that statement. I'm fairly certain Fostex wouldn't sell their biocellulose drivers to a random Chinese company to just throw in a $100 gamer headphone

Jul 18, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #4,281 of 4,535
I mean, I haven't heard either headphone, but I've just gotta challenge that statement. I'm fairly certain Fostex wouldn't sell their biocellulose drivers to a random Chinese company to just throw in a $100 gamer headphone
Of course they are not using TH900's drivers - they are not even the same size.

Takstar was trying to model a new headphone after TH900, but they have wisely identified the problems with TH900 and tried to improve SQ.
Takstar GM200 vs Takstar Pro 82 v2 vs Fostex TH900 MK2_adjusted.jpg

First, Takstar puts out Pro 82 v1 - a more audiophile version of TH900 MK2, with much flatter response - no bass boost and no mids crashing after 1kHz, but it still had the treble peaks.
Then, they put out Pro 82 v2 - with even flatter response, thanks to getting rid of the treble peak too (just look at that 7-8kHz peak of TH900 MK2 above!).
Lastly, they have created a perfect "audiophile basshead" headphone - the bass (including sub-bass) is almost at the TH900 MK2 level, but the mids are still flat, and the treble peaks are still gone - so no V-shaped signature!

GM200 does have slightly worse bass quality compared to Pro 82 v2, but it does still beat TH900's bass quality.

Pro 82 Green&Blue-1st Batch, Red,Black&Brown-2nd Batch.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #4,282 of 4,535
Hey BenF!

Thank you for all the insight regarding these Takstar headphones.

I kinda need your help/suggestion on what to purchase. Im more in to watching movies and listening to music. But sometimes I play video games too. Im gonna use the headphone on my PC.

Should I get the Takstar Pro 82 v2 or the GM200?

Jul 20, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #4,283 of 4,535
Hey BenF!

Thank you for all the insight regarding these Takstar headphones.

I kinda need your help/suggestion on what to purchase. Im more in to watching movies and listening to music. But sometimes I play video games too. Im gonna use the headphone on my PC.

Should I get the Takstar Pro 82 v2 or the GM200?
You are welcome!

What kind of music do you listen to? If it's a lot of bass-heavy stuff (e.g. hip-hop), you will probably enjoy GM200 more.
For other genres - Pro 82 v2.

As for the games - GM200 will make explosions sound better, but Pro 82 v2 is more transparent, which will allow you to hear the enemies coming sooner.

Don't forget, both of them require high quality sound chain to sound best, preferably a "synergy" one:
Comparison of DACs/Amps

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #4,284 of 4,535
Just got the notification that my Pro 82 just got delivered this morning. Excited to get home tonight to audition it

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #4,288 of 4,535
lol Well, I've only had them on my head for literally three minutes now, so I can't comment on the sound too much. I guess a few immediate thoughts:

Yup, comfortable. I've got a giant noggin with big dumbo ears and this headphone fits just fine.​

The soundstage is wider than you'd expect for a sub-$100 closed-back.​

A problem that many sub-$100 headphones have is harsh, grainy treble. Immediate impression, the treble here is... I would call it at least inoffensive. I'll need more than the three minutes I've had so far to form any more specific opinions, but suffice it to say, whenever I put on a sub-$100 headphone and press play for the first time, I always brace myself for gritty, hot treble, but that's not a problem here.​

I noticed the connector at the cup is 4-pole 2.5mm. Does that mean making a balanced cable is a possibility?

Jul 20, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #4,289 of 4,535
lol Well, I've only had them on my head for literally three minutes now, so I can't comment on the sound too much. I guess a few immediate thoughts:

Yup, comfortable. I've got a giant noggin with big dumbo ears and this headphone fits just fine.​

The soundstage is wider than you'd expect for a sub-$100 closed-back.​

A problem that many sub-$100 headphones have is harsh, grainy treble. Immediate impression, the treble here is... I would call it at least inoffensive. I'll need more than the three minutes I've had so far to form any more specific opinions, but suffice it to say, whenever I put on a sub-$100 headphone and press play for the first time, I always brace myself for gritty, hot treble, but that's not a problem here.​

I noticed the connector at the cup is 4-pole 2.5mm. Does that mean making a balanced cable is a possibility?

I received mine earlier today (10 days from China to Brazil) and am having a blast. I use glasses AND have dumbo ears, yet these are very comfy – after about 8h wearing them, I'd say not 100% but like 90%. Separation and imaging are indeed very good for a closed-back of this affordable price range. Texture is very good as well. Though I only have the Kuba Disco to compare it to, and some cheap in-ears.

Now I'm deciding between a Lusya Fever DAC or the Avani sold by VE on Ali to extract more out of them than my Apple dongle. My wallet can't go for the top synergies...

Jul 21, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #4,290 of 4,535
Yup, there is and I use it. Unfortunately there is one problem in that. IMO cable is nowhere to buy. If you want it you have to make one by yourself (or ask someone to make it). This is not standard balanced cable because it's crossed inside.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back