Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 15, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #4,022 of 4,535
Sorry for the delay on the Nous review - on Monday I have found out that the player driving the headphones didn't have the power plug inserted all the way in, and ran out of battery long time ago :scream:
Had to restart the process.

I will compare Nous with Flit, GM200, Pro 82 and Pro 81 (Pro 80 + HPAEC840 pads).
Should be interesting...

Jun 24, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #4,027 of 4,535
This is EVER SO SLIGHTLY off topic. I decided to get a pair of somewhat decent speakers for my PC and got a pair of the low-budget Edifier 1280T's on Prime Day. I thought I'd run them out of my ifi Zen DAC. But that didn't work quite too well. I guess powering speakers, even when they're powered, is a bit much to ask.

Enter my EL01/Little Bear P10 synergy chain. Actually works really well with that setup. Who would've known the little guy would be able to pull this off? Now I just have to make sure it doesn't just melt... :D

Jun 28, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #4,028 of 4,535
Finally, the belated review of Takstar Nous!

1624905111884.png

1624905279602.png

1624906435055.png

1624906476547.png

TLDR: not as good as GM200/Pro 82

Build Quality:
Build is much better than FLIT's, feels less plastick-y, and with much higher quality pads.
The pads seem to be easily replaceable.
Not as good as GM200/Pro 82 overall though, still too much plastic.

Comfort:
Same as build - much better than FLIT, not as good as GM200/Pro 82 - the pads are very nice to touch (although I still prefer the Pro 82 ones), but they are a bit too thick, creating too much pressure around the ears.

Microphone:
The wireless microphone (built-in in the cups) is way too weak, unusable.
The wired microphone sounds good, but it's unusable too - the mute switch doesn't work! Imagine "muting" the mic to talk to someone, and everyone in your game hears you...
In short, both wired and wireless microphones are unusable - so much for a "gaming" headphone...
BTW, FLIT also had the same problem with non-muting microphone.
Takstar really should ramp up their QC of the microphones.

Sound Quality (wired):
The 50mm driver is tuned much better than the 53mm driver in FLIT.
Soundstage is as wide as GM200, perfect distance from the instruments.
Sound signature is not dark at all, just warmish - but still with plenty of good treble.
Vocal's timbre is pretty good, but not as good as GM200/Pro 82
Bass has more definition than FLIT, but is not as good as GM200.

Sound Quality (wireless):
Bad, just bad.
Bass becomes very boomy and muddy.
Sounds much narrower and darker, treble is gone.
There is barely enough volume on wireless.
Activating 7.1 on stereo music makes it much worse, as expected. Careful - there is no clear indication if 7.1 is on or off!
Windows volume is controlled by the volume buttons on the left cup.
Latency indeed seems to be low - under 100ms.

Conclusion:
Unusable as a gaming headset, even wired.
Overall, this is a very good sounding headphone over the wire, if it could keep the same SQ wireless, it could compete with the likes of Sony WH1000XM and Bose 35.
Unfortunately, it sounds horrible wireless - that "Bongiovi Acoustics Labs" crap is useless - why make a custom chip, when Bluetooth is capable of both much better sound quality and can deliver low latency?

Recommendation:
If you are looking for a headphone equally great for games and music, go for GM200 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33012705103.html

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #4,029 of 4,535
Finally, the belated review of Takstar Nous!

1624905111884.png
1624905279602.png
1624906435055.png
1624906476547.png

TLDR: not as good as GM200/Pro 82

Build Quality:
Build is much better than FLIT's, feels less plastick-y, and with much higher quality pads.
The pads seem to be easily replaceable.
Not as good as GM200/Pro 82 overall though, still too much plastic.

Comfort:
Same as build - much better than FLIT, not as good as GM200/Pro 82 - the pads are very nice to touch (although I still prefer the Pro 82 ones), but they are a bit too thick, creating too much pressure around the ears.

Microphone:
The wireless microphone (built-in in the cups) is way too weak, unusable.
The wired microphone sounds good, but it's unusable too - the mute switch doesn't work! Imagine "muting" the mic to talk to someone, and everyone in your game hears you...
In short, both wired and wireless microphones are unusable - so much for a "gaming" headphone...
BTW, FLIT also had the same problem with non-muting microphone.
Takstar really should ramp up their QC of the microphones.

Sound Quality (wired):
The 50mm driver is tuned much better than the 53mm driver in FLIT.
Soundstage is as wide as GM200, perfect distance from the instruments.
Sound signature is not dark at all, just warmish - but still with plenty of good treble.
Vocal's timbre is pretty good, but not as good as GM200/Pro 82
Bass has more definition than FLIT, but is not as good as GM200.

Sound Quality (wireless):
Bad, just bad.
Bass becomes very boomy and muddy.
Sounds much narrower and darker, treble is gone.
There is barely enough volume on wireless.
Activating 7.1 on stereo music makes it much worse, as expected. Careful - there is no clear indication if 7.1 is on or off!
Windows volume is controlled by the volume buttons on the left cup.
Latency indeed seems to be low - under 100ms.

Conclusion:
Unusable as a gaming headset, even wired.
Overall, this is a very good sounding headphone over the wire, if it could keep the same SQ wireless, it could compete with the likes of Sony WH1000XM and Bose 35.
Unfortunately, it sounds horrible wireless - that "Bongiovi Acoustics Labs" crap is useless - why make a custom chip, when Bluetooth is capable of both much better sound quality and can deliver low latency?

Recommendation:
If you are looking for a headphone equally great for games and music, go for GM200 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33012705103.html
Have Takstar made any comment on the wireless performance? Seems like it needs a driver and firmware fix.

Jun 29, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #4,031 of 4,535
This is EVER SO SLIGHTLY off topic. I decided to get a pair of somewhat decent speakers for my PC and got a pair of the low-budget Edifier 1280T's on Prime Day. I thought I'd run them out of my ifi Zen DAC. But that didn't work quite too well. I guess powering speakers, even when they're powered, is a bit much to ask.

Enter my EL01/Little Bear P10 synergy chain. Actually works really well with that setup. Who would've known the little guy would be able to pull this off? Now I just have to make sure it doesn't just melt... :D
I bought some Edifiers last year (cost about $150). Returned them and got Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's. HUGE improvement. Better sound, subwoofer, and about three times the volume of the Edifiers.

Oh, and I got the Klipsch on sale at Walmart for $89. I'm buying a second set the next time they go on sale.

Jul 1, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #4,032 of 4,535
I don't think they monitor this thread, or Head-Fi in general...
Oh, I figured you were at least indirectly in contact with them via the vendor!

I would hope the wireless chip would include some level of DSP, so not only could the signal issues be fixed, but the tonality could be better crafted.

Hopefully they didn't opt for too low-power a solution (either in processing or energy), which might result in a lossy and low bitrate in order to maintain low latency.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #4,033 of 4,535
I bought some Edifiers last year (cost about $150). Returned them and got Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's. HUGE improvement. Better sound, subwoofer, and about three times the volume of the Edifiers.

Oh, and I got the Klipsch on sale at Walmart for $89. I'm buying a second set the next time they go on sale.
They're on sale for $69 right now (or at least, were yesterday).
I am however perfectly happy with the Edifiers. I simply have no room for a subwoofer here. But good to know for the future.

Jul 1, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #4,034 of 4,535
Oh, I figured you were at least indirectly in contact with them via the vendor!

I would hope the wireless chip would include some level of DSP, so not only could the signal issues be fixed, but the tonality could be better crafted.

Hopefully they didn't opt for too low-power a solution (either in processing or energy), which might result in a lossy and low bitrate in order to maintain low latency.
I'll send the link to TakstarAudio and ask them to transfer it to Takstar, but there is no guarantee it will get to the right people inside Takstar.

The wireless chip from Bongiovi Acoustic Labs is absolutely horrid.
If Takstar would put the content of BTR3K (but with larger battery) into Nous, they would probably end up with the best audiophile wireless headphone on the market, and it could still cost under 100$.

Jul 3, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #4,035 of 4,535
But... I went ahead and installed PipeWire and now it all works well automagically! No need to configure anything to resample original signal up/down to 48kHz. (I'm also on Manjaro, btw).
That's just because of the following (quote from your link):
By default PipeWire sets a global sample rate of 48kHz. If you need to change it (e.g. you own a DAC supporting a higher value) you can do it by editing the line default.clock.rate = 48000 in the configuration file /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf. For example, if you want 192kHz, uncomment and change value 48000 to default.clock.rate = 192000.
So effectively it's the same as setting global sample rate in pulseaudio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back