Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 8, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #3,916 of 4,535
Replaced the RCA cable and now things are working properly. Fingers crossed it stays that way...

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #3,917 of 4,535
I've been switching back and forth between the Little Bear combo using the Pro82 and the Loxjie P20 combo using the GM200. I did tried the GM200 with the Little Bear, but that honestly didn't quite do it for me. The bass became overwhelming and uncomfortable. The Pro82's mid-setting bass is nuanced, has still punch, but doesn't overstay its welcome. So - personally - I would not use the GM200 with the Little Bear synergy combo.

BUT

The GM200 goes really well with the IFI Zen DAC / Loxjie P20 balanced tube amp combo. I guess those have better synergy? The Zen DAC and P20 aren't lacking bass or anything. But they do tame the brashness of the GM200 a little. Make no mistake, this is still a bass-heavy combination. But not at the expense of other part of the spectrum. I still have to give the P20 and my other cans some more time to get a better description out.

In terms of the EL01/Little Bear P10 / Pro82, it really is quite something. The sheer clarity of it all is marvelous. Running the Pro82 off of the P20 makes them sound a bit veiled in comparison. The synergy combo lets the Pro82 really shine. They sounded great off the Zen DAC, both single-ended and balanced, and sounded equally great with the P20 balanced. But the Little Bear gives them a noticeable edge here.

I will say though, the Little Bear is a bit janky. Replacing my RCA cable helped - a bit. I still get interference from what I think is my wireless mouse. And the amp needs some time to wake up and then some more time to actually play on both channels. And then it gets pretty hot. And with the way my PC is set up, the sound pot goes from nothing to audible but a little low to now-it's-too-loud with no real in-between steps. So I have to change the volume on my PC which I didn't need to with the other amp.

Ultimately, those are issues I can fairly easily live with. The whole chain, including the actual headphones, is still an absolute steal that has no right what so ever to sound as good as it does. Jank or not. - Just don't get a GM200 for it thinking it will have the same kind of synergy, just with some more bass.

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #3,918 of 4,535
So after about 6 months of listening to the GM 200 and the cooler Master 751's I have come to the conclusion that for most music the 751 sound a good deal better. This isn't due to the frequency response at all as I find them nearly identical maybe slightly more on the high end for the 751s, but the fact that the music seems to have more width to it or I guess what some would call soundstage on the 751s. Personally I think it just helps in revealing secondary distance cues kind of like how it's much easier to tell the distance and orientation of an instrument on speakers than it is on headphones simply due to the distance of the driver from your ear. My guess however is that this is solely due to the fact the cups are a fair size larger.

I think if the GM 200 would have larger cups like the 751 it would be the ultimate headphone in its price point as I would argue the low end is a little bit more controlled in the highs are tamed slightly.

My question is about the pro 82s, are the cups the same size as the GM 200s or are they larger?

(I am running them in a volume matched a/b splitter off a Neoteck amp)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #3,919 of 4,535
right I have had these headphones since April 2020 so nearly a year, they are great and sound brilliant however I'm getting really annoyed with them. Hairs keep getting in the drivers causing a rattle, this has been a persistent issue with them since the day I bought them, I have also noticed that the leather earcups are breaking apart which didn't happen on my hyper x cloud 2s for about 5 years so this is also kind of annoying. These headphones are great for the price but unless these issues can be fixed I think I will get myself some hd 600s because the hair issue is really bugging me as of recently. Any one have any ideas on how I could fix this please? Thanks!

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #3,920 of 4,535
Just received the GM200 today (ordered them on 9 of February) so they took around 1 month to arrive.

First impressions of using them for around 8 straight hours, I like them and they feel comfortable for wearing them for long sessions. The sound quality is exactly what I was seeking so I am pretty satisfied with the product so far.

Now I am thinking of buying a bluetooth amplifier for it.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #3,921 of 4,535
Will do when I have the time to. (And I need to decide which tubes to use... Oh tube amps... Always so special...)
Fingers crossed :)

In other news, the GM200 I ordered along with the other stuff arrived too. Time to take them through the motions as well.
Congrats again!

First impressions on the GM200s is, well, they ain't subtle, are they? They are the jock brother to the more sophisticated sound of the baseline 82Pro. They'll make good outdoor cans. Need to spend some more time with them. Probably good for metal and maybe techno, though I can see the bass becoming a bit obnoxious, especially after I got used to the more gentle sound of the 82Pro.
I think GM200 is a better choice not based on a genre, but more based on SQ preference - bassheads (who always prefer extra bass boost) will likely prefer GM200 over Pro 82. When I want an extra bass impact, I just put Pro 82 on P10 + EL-D01 combo.
GM200 is also better for gaming, due to the included microphone.

Hm. So the packaging slip ("manual" is a bit of a misnomer) mentions that the P10 should only be run for a few hours at a time. I do notice that if I use it for longer periods, one channel will eventually give up. Maybe it runs too hot?
P10 doesn't have enough passive cooling, so it's best to turn it off every 3-4 hours for 15 minutes to let it cool down.

Careful early impressions: I think the GM200 match actually quite well with my ZEN DAC / Loxjie P20 stack on balanced. Better than with the Little Bear combo, which I feel like brings a bit too much pressure overall.

The Little Bear combo does however sound superior with the Pro 82.

I've been switching back and forth between the Little Bear combo using the Pro82 and the Loxjie P20 combo using the GM200. I did tried the GM200 with the Little Bear, but that honestly didn't quite do it for me. The bass became overwhelming and uncomfortable. The Pro82's mid-setting bass is nuanced, has still punch, but doesn't overstay its welcome. So - personally - I would not use the GM200 with the Little Bear synergy combo.

BUT

The GM200 goes really well with the IFI Zen DAC / Loxjie P20 balanced tube amp combo. I guess those have better synergy? The Zen DAC and P20 aren't lacking bass or anything. But they do tame the brashness of the GM200 a little. Make no mistake, this is still a bass-heavy combination. But not at the expense of other part of the spectrum. I still have to give the P20 and my other cans some more time to get a better description out.
The 3 synergy combos in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...discussion-thread.849965/page-5#post-13501419 are only for Pro 82. They'll work just fine with GM200, but it won't be magical.
Pro 82 benefits from some extra warmth introduced by the sound chain.
GM200 sounds best with more transparent chains, it has enough warmth of its own.
My favorite combo for GM200 right now is Khadas Tone Board + O2

In terms of the EL01/Little Bear P10 / Pro82, it really is quite something. The sheer clarity of it all is marvelous. Running the Pro82 off of the P20 makes them sound a bit veiled in comparison. The synergy combo lets the Pro82 really shine. They sounded great off the Zen DAC, both single-ended and balanced, and sounded equally great with the P20 balanced. But the Little Bear gives them a noticeable edge here.
The whole chain, including the actual headphones, is still an absolute steal that has no right what so ever to sound as good as it does.
100% agree. The combination of clarity with extra bass impact is really something unique.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #3,922 of 4,535
Just received the GM200 today (ordered them on 9 of February) so they took around 1 month to arrive.

First impressions of using them for around 8 straight hours, I like them and they feel comfortable for wearing them for long sessions. The sound quality is exactly what I was seeking so I am pretty satisfied with the product so far.

Now I am thinking of buying a bluetooth amplifier for it.
FIIO BTR3K is the best: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-243#post-15968100

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #3,923 of 4,535
right I have had these headphones since April 2020 so nearly a year, they are great and sound brilliant however I'm getting really annoyed with them. Hairs keep getting in the drivers causing a rattle, this has been a persistent issue with them since the day I bought them...
How are the hairs getting into the drivers? Don't your pads have a protective layer?
...I have also noticed that the leather earcups are breaking apart which didn't happen on my hyper x cloud 2s for about 5 years so this is also kind of annoying.
That's super weird - I am still using my first Pro 82 v1 from May 2017, and the pads are holding up very well.
Maybe you keep your headphones in a place with very high humidity? Or maybe you clean the pads with alcoholic wipes?

... they are great and sound brilliant ... unless these issues can be fixed I think I will get myself some hd 600s because the hair issue is really bugging me as of recently. Any one have any ideas on how I could fix this please? Thanks!
If you have the proper Pro 82 v2 and think they are brilliant, HD600 will be a disappointment...

Mar 17, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #3,925 of 4,535
Better not? I've used isopropyl alcohol a few times.
Bad idea.

Best way to clean the Pro 82 earpads is by soaking a microfiber cloth in a warm mildly soapy water, then wiping the pads.
In order to clean the cloth mesh, use a damp microfiber cloth - not as wet as when cleaning the leather part of the pads.
Be careful not to let any liquid inside the headphone.

Let the pads air dry.
You may apply leather conditioner to the pads once or twice a year, after they've been cleaned and dried.

Store the headphones in a dry and cold place, not in direct sunlight - it may accelerate pads' disintegration.

Mar 17, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #3,926 of 4,535
How are the hairs getting into the drivers? Don't your pads have a protective layer?

That's super weird - I am still using my first Pro 82 v1 from May 2017, and the pads are holding up very well.
Maybe you keep your headphones in a place with very high humidity? Or maybe you clean the pads with alcoholic wipes?

If you have the proper Pro 82 v2 and think they are brilliant, HD600 will be a disappointment...
I dont know how hairs get to the drivers as there is a protective layer which is really confusing, and turns out it they were not ripping just a bit dirty after I cleaned them off the pad was ok. and I do have the pro 82 v2 I bought them from takstar audio from ali express, the one you linked to this forum. And they sound good but I eventually want open back, im only running the pro 82 on a syba sonic so obviously they don't sound as good as they could.

Mar 20, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #3,927 of 4,535
Hello people. Can anyone recommend a case or carry bag that fits the GM200s (but something more portable than the big metal box of the pro 82s)? My pair broke in my bag and my heart dropped, as I love these things. I was lucky enough that the wire didn't snap so I just about managed to repair them - but I don't want it to happen again

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #3,928 of 4,535
I've have had these for a while now and for the small price they are truly special. They have no right sounding as good as they do for the money. I run mine from a Monolith tube amp, Keces DAC & multidisc player, sound is superb IMHO. I either keep the ports in the middle position or closed and sound is balanced and detailed. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread as when these come up in the rotation I'm never let down by them. Crazy good for the money!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #3,929 of 4,535
Hello people. Can anyone recommend a case or carry bag that fits the GM200s (but something more portable than the big metal box of the pro 82s)? My pair broke in my bag and my heart dropped, as I love these things. I was lucky enough that the wire didn't snap so I just about managed to repair them - but I don't want it to happen again

Here is the best case for Pro 82 and GM200: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32786942952.html
1601743734251.png

Just look how much more compact it is compared to a standard case:
1601743944328.png

It saves a lot of space compared to the standard case - especially when you are traveling, and every square inch counts.
It fits both Pro 82 and GM200 perfectly, I have traveled around the globe several times with this case protecting my beloved Pro 82.

The listing has the correct dimensions (235x215x58mm, 9.3x8.5x2.3 inches), even though one of the pictures shows the wrong measurements:
1601744141156.png

Don't worry, this is the correct case for Pro 82/GM200.

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #3,930 of 4,535
I dont know how hairs get to the drivers as there is a protective layer which is really confusing, and turns out it they were not ripping just a bit dirty after I cleaned them off the pad was ok. and I do have the pro 82 v2 I bought them from takstar audio from ali express, the one you linked to this forum. And they sound good but I eventually want open back, im only running the pro 82 on a syba sonic so obviously they don't sound as good as they could.
Glad cleaning the pads helped.

Why buy an open headphone, if you are going to run it on the same subpar chain?
You'll get better results upgrading to one of the synergy combos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back