Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 22, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #3,046 of 4,535
Again, in 2017 every store was shipping Pro 82s normally in the beginning - until there was a shortage, and several stores ("MH Recording Music Store", "Original Brands Market", "Xiao mi World Store" etc) started to fake-ship Pro 82s.
I ordered them a year ago, everything came, ordered this year, they came. Originals.

Oct 22, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #3,047 of 4,535
WARNING: LOTS OF JPEGS HERE!

Thanks a lot for the response. I opened both sides and tried bending and moving cables about but nothing would retrieve sound to the left. I was hoping to find something disconnected. As for the heandband, I wasn't able to access it and I am not sure what to find anyway...
I will probably reorder another pair and give it another shot some other time. Glad it's so easy to access the innards

Well, the damage would not be visible because the cable is probably broken where the yokes pivot. I actually ordered some of those jacks myself just to see if this idea is gonna work so stay tuned.

"DAMN YOU, COOLER MASTER!"

The modding had gone very poorly with the Cooler Master MH751 headset. The plastic cups were THICCer than they looked and the 3.5mm jacks from Amazon fell short. I ended up using a different jack from Philmore on the right side and even that needed a bit of drilling some of the outside with a larger bit so some threads would show up on the inside. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OGLCR3W/

20191021_194414.jpg 20191021_194425.jpg

The left side was easy enough, pull out the PCB and all, break down that wingnut that held the 3.5mm TRRS jack in place, and stick the new plug inside.

20191019_180210.jpg 20191019_180908.jpg 20191019_180914.jpg

Then after I got them wired and working my other concern happened: leakage. I ended up using that gasket maker again to seal up the areas inside and out around the 3.5mm plugs or else the sound was uneven.

20191022_045949.jpg

Yeah, I'll need to paint over that somehow. Ugh. At least it works. Also you'll notice at the hole where the mic plug went I put some foam to seal that hole up. So the moral of the story is: DO NOT BUY THE COOLER MASTER MH751/2! Unless you're desperate for V2 driver replacements.

After feeling deflated and somewhat defeated I was picking up the fragments of my busted MH751 headset to put them away (since I used the old headband and cups) and then I was looking at my other "Pixy" Pro 82. Hmm, I know the plastic is thinner on the P82 cups so it'll probably go better on an actual Takstar headset, right? Come on, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Those things are perfectly fine right now and I should probably wait until something breaks to mod those. ... ... I just want to tear that thing up again, don't I? And so...

20191022_015502.jpg 20191022_015507.jpg 20191022_020016.jpg 20191022_045921.jpg

That's MUCH MUCH BETTER! Using a 15/64 drill bit I was able to make a nice clean hole for the jack. I thought that was aluminum on the outside of the cups but I wasn't sure until now when I was drilling into aluminum on the outside first (then some thin plastic on the inside). Left cup needed absolutely nothing done to it, aside from removing the original PCB. The nuts are nice and flush with the ends of the jacks and there are no leakage issues at all with these jacks. The sound also seems intact. This couldn't be a more perfect solution if you got a bad headband wire!

Oct 23, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #3,049 of 4,535
Great review, thanks for sharing!

This is a rookie question so please bear with me... can you use the microphone while driving the GM200 with a DAC/Amp on a PC or in a console?

@elNan you can use a DAC/Amp with the GM200 with the mic, as they include a cable splitter. Not many DAC's include a mic port, but there are still some.

I can recommend you the Xonar U3 for the PC (you can use it even as DAC for your mobile devices). I love the surround mode for games and their fixed amp mode (the xonar u5 and u7 are supposed to be upgrades, but I haven't had the $ to buy them).
I'm currently using Audiotrak Prodigy Cube which includes a Mic port too (although for the size is not portable, it works with mobiles too). The Creative E3 have a mic port too.

Every one of them is a DAC/Amp. A DAC/Amp for consoles that includes a mic port will be hard to find (I believe turtle beach has one), although you can use the E3 in bluetooth mode using their integrated mic (that probably will lack quality because the BT Headset protocols).

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #3,050 of 4,535
Very well @BenF, your thread convinced me that the GM200 is a must have.

Currently its at $62usd + $5 shipping. Is there a way to get it cheaper ?
I read that there were some discounts, but those happened a couple of months ago, don't know if there is a current valid discount going on.

Oct 24, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #3,051 of 4,535
Oct 27, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #3,053 of 4,535
@BenF, will you get yet another Pro 82 off the new batch?
If they took so much time to release this batch... will it be Pro 82 v3? :wink:
(I wouldn't be surprised if they come with a different driver and slightly different tuning).
Cheers.

I'll probably stick with my five (not counting two v0.9) Pro 82s for now :jecklinsmile:

Hope there is no v3 coming - v2 is absolutely perfect, and GM200 is the v2 version for bassheads.
I would like to see Pro 82 where the bass switch turns it into GM200 - that would be great!
A Bluetooth version would be nice too...

Oct 28, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #3,054 of 4,535
If anyone tried what would be better to use with JDS labs the element, GM200 or Pro 82 V2? I can buy seperate v moda mic anyways so ill just go for the one which has better synergy.
The amp is neutral enough, the question is - do you want a headphone that provides an accurate and natural representation of the music (Pro 82 v2) , or do you prefer a more audiophile version of TH900 Mk2(GM200)?

Oct 29, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #3,056 of 4,535
Hello BenF! Thanks for the excellent review! I am pretty sure now about buying the GM200, as i mostly listen to electronic music and need a new microphone since some time. But occasionally I listen to classical music, some chill, some exciting and loud like Dvorak or Vivaldi. Is it then just a matter of tuning down the bass using an EQ to get a cleaner sound for those times? I am pretty new to audiophile headphones and this would be my first purchase ever in headphones which is more than 20 bucks, so excuse the noobish question. :)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #3,057 of 4,535
Hello BenF! Thanks for the excellent review! I am pretty sure now about buying the GM200, as i mostly listen to electronic music and need a new microphone since some time. But occasionally I listen to classical music, some chill, some exciting and loud like Dvorak or Vivaldi. Is it then just a matter of tuning down the bass using an EQ to get a cleaner sound for those times? I am pretty new to audiophile headphones and this would be my first purchase ever in headphones which is more than 20 bucks, so excuse the noobish question. :)

Hi vbluey!
I don't use EQ, because I listen to music on different devices in different applications, and it's impossible to get the same EQ everywhere.
I think that with your choice of music GM200 is a great place to start. The extra bass doesn't really come into play in music that doesn't require it, so it may do well with Dvorak/Vivaldi too.
And if you'll feel that it's not doing great with the classical - you can always (hopefully) buy Pro 82 v2 later.

What kind of DAC/Amp will you be using?

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #3,058 of 4,535
thanks, that was reassuring! ill get it then and use your coupon :) i have a yamaha rx-v654 where ill plug it in, otherwise just my mobilephone a lg v20 with a ESS Sabre ES9218 Quad DAC. but to be honest im not even entireley sure what it really means :see_no_evil:

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #3,059 of 4,535
not sure how the coupon works however, it seems i do have to pay while placing the order?
see here: https://imgur.com/a/pLOtfJ0 (in the second pic i try to place an order without paying)
if i "choose" a payment method i already have to fill out the entire credit card information, but that is already paying then isnt it?
-
OK i think i got it, fill out the info, then place order and then there will be another screen which says "pay now" but instead send a normal message to the seller containing only "Head-fi" i guess :) will do it tomorrow if thats right

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #3,060 of 4,535
not sure how the coupon works however, it seems i do have to pay while placing the order?
see here: https://imgur.com/a/pLOtfJ0 (in the second pic i try to place an order without paying)
if i "choose" a payment method i already have to fill out the entire credit card information, but that is already paying then isnt it?
-
OK i think i got it, fill out the info, then place order and then there will be another screen which says "pay now" but instead send a normal message to the seller containing only "Head-fi" i guess :) will do it tomorrow if thats right

What they told me to do is place the order using "WESTUNION" (Western Union) as payment method (this lets you "place the order" without paying yet) then contact them to adjust the price for the discount after which you'll be able to select whichever payment method you actually intend on using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back