Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 16, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #3,031 of 4,535
@sov73811

Did the wire replacement inside the headband offer any sound improvements?
Curious.
Tia.

With that wire I used? Unfortunately no. Now if I put some silver cable or something like that, hmm...To be honest it probably wouldn't be such a difference to merit a few hours of your time. If you do want to give that a go, please don't let me stop you!

@sov73811

Did the wire replacement inside the headband offer any sound improvements?
Curious.
Tia.

I really should be asleep right now but I just came up with some crazy idea just as I was gonna turn off my PC for the night. https://www.amazon.com/Nine-3-5mm-Stereo-Panel-Connector/dp/B01C3RFHDC

If you don't want to tear down and rebuild the headband, why not put all the wiring in the cups? These 3.5mm female jacks should allow you to do that

This will mean drilling holes on the right side and possibly expanding the hole on the left. Oh and of course you'll need a different cable. I might actually try this for the Cooler Master headset that has a bad 3.5mm female TRRS jack (I mean I'm a loner that plays single player games so what's the mic good for anyway?).

Oh, right! I did get around to the V1 and the Cooler Master driver swap - and I succeeded in making my own second V2. Because this twisted game needs to be reset.
The CM drivers now sound pretty much like my Takstar Direct V2 Pro 82. That does help solidify the theory that the larger cups on the CM is what gives the extra bass. I think I'll call my new V2 "Pixy."

Now onto figuring out the 0.9 amoon Amazon madness. I'm figuring out a way to get more consistent measurements on my miniDSP EARS thing and am testing out the second one from Amazon. I need a tad more confirmation but it's just...weird. This second headset came with one of those CoA cards inside the small black box. I dug up my old case from the first Amazon one and I noticed there was no CoA card. I don't know if this means anything...

Oct 16, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #3,032 of 4,535
Oct 17, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #3,033 of 4,535
i see more and more stores that are out of stock on Aliexpress are they goin soon end of life like Hifi 2050 and pro 80 did?
tbh i dont see v2 version either on ali right now or?
Ellie from TakstarAudio told me that the Takstar factory should ship a new batch around end of the month.
I am a bit disappointed by the long wait (it's been a few weeks already), but on the other hand I'm glad that they are not rushing Pro 82 production, and taking time to do it properly.

This is a low volume (by Takstar's standards) product, and it's oriented to a pretty small niche - audiophiles that still use wired headphones :jecklinsmile:
I'm fairly sure Takstar loses money on Pro 82, and I am grateful that they don't discontinue it - although it can happen at any time...
I'm sure glad I have my 7 Pro 82s (although 2 of them are v0.9 :triportsad: ).

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #3,034 of 4,535
Okay, from experience there are two main points of failure when one of the channels go down:

- The small wire inside the headband broke (see if you can hear sound when you swivel the cup)
- The 2.5mm 4-pole female jack

This may be the Cooler Master headset but the parts are identical (minus the cups and the microphone). I was able to put some 18 gauge speaker wire and fix up the headset that way. Um, don't do that - You'll need to make a thinner wire to make a proper installation. It took me a couple of hours to get it back in order.

Hopefully it's just the 2.5mm female jack. That's easy: just remove the main chip, desolder the old jack and put a new one in.

Thanks a lot for the response. I opened both sides and tried bending and moving cables about but nothing would retrieve sound to the left. I was hoping to find something disconnected. As for the heandband, I wasn't able to access it and I am not sure what to find anyway...
I will probably reorder another pair and give it another shot some other time. Glad it's so easy to access the innards

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #3,035 of 4,535
@BenF You mention that the microphone on the GM200 "sounds the same as MH751, except for darker background." Can you clarify a bit on what "darker background" means?

The MH751 microphone's quality is one of the best on any gaming oriented headset, so I'm unsure if "darker background" implies that it picks up less ambient noise/hisses less or if the tonality of the voice pickup is lower or something else.

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #3,036 of 4,535
@BenF You mention that the microphone on the GM200 "sounds the same as MH751, except for darker background." Can you clarify a bit on what "darker background" means?

The MH751 microphone's quality is one of the best on any gaming oriented headset, so I'm unsure if "darker background" implies that it picks up less ambient noise/hisses less or if the tonality of the voice pickup is lower or something else.
It means that there is less background noise.
Tonality of the voice is the same.

Oct 18, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #3,038 of 4,535
Thanks a lot for the response. I opened both sides and tried bending and moving cables about but nothing would retrieve sound to the left. I was hoping to find something disconnected. As for the heandband, I wasn't able to access it and I am not sure what to find anyway...
I will probably reorder another pair and give it another shot some other time. Glad it's so easy to access the innards

Well, the damage would not be visible because the cable is probably broken where the yokes pivot. I actually ordered some of those jacks myself just to see if this idea is gonna work so stay tuned. And hopefully TakStar will get some more in soon.

@BenF, will you get yet another Pro 82 off the new batch?
If they took so much time to release this batch... will it be Pro 82 v3? :wink:
(I wouldn't be surprised if they come with a different driver and slightly different tuning).
Cheers.

As cool as that sounds, I quite like the tuning the way it is now. Not that I'm closed to different sound signatures...Speaking of that...

I was able to get some measurements on my HEARS that (hopefully) are reliable. Evidently the answer was, you ready? Rubber bands.Here are some new V1/0.9 measurements.
V1 stock Round X.jpg

The old set and the new one measure the same in my tests so I just went and included a single pair.

And now, here's some measurements for my "Pixy" Pro 82 with those fabric Brainwavz MDR V6 pads on:
P82 V1 and CM Drivers with Brainwavz.jpg

And how here's the one directly from TakStar with the Brainwavz pads:
P82 V2 with brainwavz pads.jpg

And what of the V1/0.9 drivers? Well...

IMG_9447.JPG

I found them a new home: the MH751! I used these pads: https://www.amazon.com/Krone-Kalpasmos-Replacement-MDR-7506-Headphones/dp/B07N6GL2PG

And the results:
V1WithBrainwavz.jpg

In the words of an infamous video game character, "Damn, I'm looking good." So basically, the MH751 should have used V1 drivers!

Oh, little disclaimer: this is still a work in progress.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #3,039 of 4,535
Hi people I've been recommended these headphones so I had a look through this thread. I'm keen to get one of the fabled version 2, or at least not some dubious knock off or something, and note that the trusted seller here is out of stock. However I've seen one listing on aliexpress that under specifications says 1.6m cable. At xiao mi store. So do you reckon this will be a legit one, or possibly as it's without retail packaging they're just providing any old cable? Thanks

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32811589590.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.7bda3c00X5nkAz&mp=1

Oct 20, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #3,040 of 4,535
Hi people I've been recommended these headphones so I had a look through this thread. I'm keen to get one of the fabled version 2, or at least not some dubious knock off or something, and note that the trusted seller here is out of stock. However I've seen one listing on aliexpress that under specifications says 1.6m cable. At xiao mi store. So do you reckon this will be a legit one, or possibly as it's without retail packaging they're just providing any old cable? Thanks

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32811589590.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.7bda3c00X5nkAz&mp=1

I wouldn't risk it - Xiao MI World Store is one of the stores that used to fake-ship Pro 82s:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...iscussion-thread.849965/page-15#post-13590199
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...iscussion-thread.849965/page-18#post-13644155
Better wait for the new shipment to arrive at TakstarAudio.

Oct 21, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #3,041 of 4,535

I bought in this store, came in a package, everything is whole, wire 1.6m. I recommend buying in this store.

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #3,042 of 4,535
I bought in this store, came in a package, everything is whole, wire 1.6m. I recommend buying in this store.
They did ship Pro 82s in 2017 normally at first too, but when they ran out of stock, they started fake shipping.

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #3,045 of 4,535
Look at the latest reviews, everyone has delivery.
Again, in 2017 every store was shipping Pro 82s normally in the beginning - until there was a shortage, and several stores ("MH Recording Music Store", "Original Brands Market", "Xiao mi World Store" etc) started to fake-ship Pro 82s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back