Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 28, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #2,956 of 4,534
is this the official store? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808454492.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.620a5902zSEHKl

in my country i find a lot of local store that sell this headphones with different price ranging from $55 - $110, most of them that bellow $90 only offer 1 month shop/local warranty and rest of them offer 2 year replacement warranty. is this product have a fakes one? why so much different in prices?
Don't know why there would be such a variation in your local shops, but why not use the current sale on Aliexpress and buy it for 50$ (55$ - 5$ Ali coupon), and get a guaranteed v2?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808454492.html

...and just curious if mostly i am hearing music from my macbook pro right now and have a plan (when saving enough money) to get fiio btr3 to stream from my iphone Xr (because they decided headphone jack is waste of space) how it is gonna perform against other shady bluetooth transmitter which cheaper by alot? oh and my music source is solely from spotify premium.
You probably won't discover it's full potential until you'll purchase some of the recommended DAC/Amps:
Comparison of DACs/Amps

FIIO BTR3 sounds pretty good, but Shanling UP2 has better SQ.

and also i am mostly hear music from all kind of anime soundtrack from ONE OK ROCK, RADWIMPS, FLOW, Aimer and others.. for english music i prefer song from ed sheeran, jason mraz and travis atreo.... will this headphones match my music taste?

right now i am using senn hd 202 which i purchase since 2012 and it is not the most comfortable or great sounding. how it is compared to this? do i will get somekind of great discovery with takstar pro82?
Takstar Pro 82 will fit beautifully any music that doesn't require elevated bass to enjoy it - that's what GM200 is for.
A "great discovery" is quite possible, but not using it straight from MacBook Pro or same "shady bluetooth transmitter".

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #2,957 of 4,534
The main problem with HA-2's bass boost, is that it warms lower mids a bit, starting at 1kHz.
In the lower bass, it's pretty similar to GM200 - at 100hZ GM200 has 3 more dBs, but at lower frequencies only 1-2 dBs more.

I wouldn't say that it's a night and day difference, but GM200 does provide more oomph and clearer lower mids.
Thanks for clarifying, @BenF!

Aug 28, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #2,958 of 4,534
Don't know why there would be such a variation in your local shops, but why not use the current sale on Aliexpress and buy it for 50$ (55$ - 5$ Ali coupon), and get a guaranteed v2?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808454492.html

You probably won't discover it's full potential until you'll purchase some of the recommended DAC/Amps:
Comparison of DACs/Amps

FIIO BTR3 sounds pretty good, but Shanling UP2 has better SQ.

Takstar Pro 82 will fit beautifully any music that doesn't require elevated bass to enjoy it - that's what GM200 is for.
A "great discovery" is quite possible, but not using it straight from MacBook Pro or same "shady bluetooth transmitter".

oh thank you for detailed explanation for each question...

but i am still torn between using this takstar pro 82 + fiio btr3 setup or just buy Sony WH-CH700N or Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT since both of them result in the same total money to spend...

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #2,959 of 4,534
oh thank you for detailed explanation for each question...

but i am still torn between using this takstar pro 82 + fiio btr3 setup or just buy Sony WH-CH700N or Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT since both of them result in the same total money to spend...

Personally, I'd go with the BTR/Pro82 combo. It sounds fantastic, and you can also use the BTR3 with other headphones and earbuds.

Aug 30, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #2,961 of 4,534
Finally, a full review of Takstar GM200!
I will be comparing to its predecessor Pro 82s and it's OEM counterpart - MH751.

They come in a thin box, without the famous Pro 80/82 case:

GM200 is a gamer-oriented headphone, so it adapts a bit more aggressive styling:

A look at the cables:

GM200 comes with 2 cables + a 2m splitter cable, MH751 come with just 1 cable and a short splitter.
GM200 accepts Pro 82 stock cables and replacement cables from Ali (including micced) - MH751 only works with its stock cable, and there are no replacement cables to find.
Also, MH751 cable "locks in" , making it not easily removable in case of an accident - if it will be pulled hard, both cable and the socket may get damaged.

Microphone on GM200 sounds the same as MH751, except for darker background.

Comfort:
Luckily, GM200 uses the same exact pads as Pro 82 - comfort is 10/10.
Strangely, MH751 comes with pads that look the same, but don't feel the same - they are not as fluffy as Pro 82/GM200

Isolation/Leakage:
Since the cups and the pads are the same as on Pro 82 - there is just as little leakage, and excellent isolation - not enough for bus/train, but perfect for a noisy office.
I think that MH751 provides similar results, despite inferior pads.

Sound Quality:
Bass is the region that makes all the difference from Pro 82 v2. Look at the FR below:

Down to 400Hz, GM200 and Pro 82 v2 are practically identical, but below that mark GM200 start following Fostex TH900 MK2 all the way down to 80Hz, where they do part ways.
However, even at 22Hz, you can see that GM200 has 6.2 more dBs of sub-bass over Pro 82, and TH900 has only 2.6dBs more than GM200

This is another proof that Pro 82's sound was modeled after TH900 MK2.
First, Takstar puts out Pro 82 v1 - a more audiophile version of TH900 MK2, with much flatter response - no bass boost and no mids crashing after 1kHz.
Then, they put out Pro 82 v2 - with even flatter response, thanks to getting rid of the treble peak too (just look at that 7-8kHz peak of TH900 MK2 above!).
Now, they create a perfect "audiophile basshead" headphone - the bass (including sub-bass) is almost at the TH900 MK2 level, but the mids are still flat, and the treble peaks are still gone - so no V-shaped signature!
Whoever is the engineer that tuned these 3 headphones - he deserves a medal!

Of course, quantity is nice, but what about the quality of the bass? After all, MH751 measures very closely to GM200 - are they both "audiophile basshead" headphones?
The answer is "no":

As you can see, MH751 is missing the bass ports. Don't forget, even TH900MK2 is just "semi-closed" - fully closed headphones can produce a lot of bass, but the quality will suffer.
Bass ports allow GM200 to improve the quality of the bass compared to MH751, without sacrificing isolation.
Bass hits equally hard on GM200 and MH751, but on GM200 it has a better definition
Bass is tighter on Pro 82, but "meatier" on GM200 - just like it is on TH900 MK2.

Mids and treble sound very similar on GM200 and Pro 82 - but the tonal balance of GM200 is warmer, shifting the timbre just a bit off - not by much though, it's still better than many much more expensive headphones.
The electrostat-like transparency of Pro 82 is slightly reduced on GM200 as well.

I would say that GM200 sounds closest to Sony Z1R - they both sound like a warmer version of Pro 82 with meatier bass.
GM200 would probably have the edge on bass control and timbre, while Z1R would definitely have wider soundstage - I don't have Z1R to A/B with me, have to rely on my notes and memory.

Amp/DAC advice:
Due to the shift in tonal balance, Pro 82's "synergy combos" don't have the same effect on GM200.

GM200 sounds better from more transparent DACs - Oppo HA-2 + O2 sounds better than SMSL Idea + O2.
SMSL IQ + O2 sounds even better, especially in bass definition.
SMSL IQ alone loses on bass quality compared to SMSL IQ + O2, the O2 adds better control.
Using Little Bear P10 with SMSL IQ can add a little "oomph" in the bass and some euphony in the mids - a welcome combination for many, but too much for me.

Where to buy:
GM200 is available at the same store that introduced us to Pro 82: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33012705103.html
Due to the ongoing Aliexpress sale, now is the perfect time to buy one!
Not only the price has been reduced to 61.5$ (in the app) from 70$, but:
1) You can apply the free "5$ off 50$" Aliexpress coupon to bring the price down to 56.5$
2) If you'll place the order without paying, and write "Head-fi" in the order message after placing the order - the seller will adjust the price another 5$ down!
This discount will work even after the sale, but better use it now, while the price is lower and coupons are available!

Both SMSL IQ and P10 are on sale now too - IQ is down to 103$ from 140, and P10 is down to 58$ from 78$:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32847472836.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32882901310.html
Don't forget, the 99$ O2 is here: https://www.jdslabs.com/products/167/objective2-headphone-amplifier-b-stock/

I can see that there is a four-pole pinout even on the micced cable. How does it connect to what? Can we use this headphone in balanced mode?

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #2,962 of 4,534
I can see that there is a four-pole pinout even on the micced cable. How does it connect to what? Can we use this headphone in balanced mode?

GM200 can be used as balanced just like Pro 82, but you need custom cables - check a few pages back.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #2,966 of 4,534
I can't find much about these, but the Xanova Juturna gaming headset also seems to be based on the Takstar Pro 82, and retains the bass port unlike the Cooler Master.
Definitely looks like Pro 82 with a microphone - what MH751 should have been.
Probably sounds like Pro 82, unless they've made the same mistake as Cooler Master did, and used different pads.
The price is 70$ without the 7.1 USB adapter and 85$ with.

There seems to be a quality control issue though - 5 out of 16 reviews on Amazon.in are 1-star.
Two of them say that defective headphones were sent TWICE.
https://www.amazon.in/Xanova-Juturna-Gaming-Headset-Adjustment/product-reviews/B07P34VZXF/

GM200 makes more sense as a gaming headphone - the extra oomph all the way down to sub-bass should be a lot more fun in games.
Now that the sale is over, it's back to 70$ - but with the 5$ Head-fi discount it's down to 65$.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33012705103.html

Sep 1, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #2,967 of 4,534
okay, i am very convince to this... and wondering is there any shorter cable replacement since i want to pair it with fiio btr3 to make this wireless headphones so btr3 will be clip on my shirt collar or on my shirt pocket or maybe there is even shorter connector so it can plugin directly into the headphones? since fiio btr3 is so small and lightweight i think it won't be a problem, just wondering is there any connector like that...?

I use this one with Shanling UP2 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32798495447.html
It's a bit too short for BTR3 though, since it has the 3.5mm output on the bottom, unlike UP2.
With UP2, I can clip it on my shirt's collar, and there is still enough of the cable left to allow me to move my head around freely.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #2,968 of 4,534
Pro 82 featuring another review by our fellow @Aibo:

I don’t have good memories about the sound of an old DF v1.2... To me, the answer to the iiWi question was a clear No.
However, I didn’t have Pro 82 back then.

@Aibo: will you do the new DF Cobalt? I find it overpriced, but its form factor is very convenient, undeniably.

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #2,969 of 4,534
Yeah, I wanted to mention them here because Pro 82s combine really well with DF Black. So well that my girlfriend's been hogging them for her laptop since I made her try them out. :laughing: There's another happy member here with the same combo so maybe he can pitch in with his own impressions if he's still reading.

Regarding Cobalt, it's not really in my current plans. It's quite expensive and while I do appreciate portability I'm not ready to cash that amount for something that is not a part of my main room system. Maybe in the future if channel can grow a bit and return something back, than I can be more lose with the budget. But it's just not there yet.

Sep 6, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #2,970 of 4,534
Comparison with Bosshifi B8

Bosshifi B8 sounds as good as it looks, and it's quite a looker:

The pair in the picture is a year old, and was used a lot - yet it shows very few signs of usage.

Comfort:

B8's headband is much wider and thicker than Pro 82's.
Same goes for HM5.

B8's pads are as long as Pro 82's, slightly narrower, yet thicker.

HM5 pad is slightly larger and quite thicker.

If NVX XPT100 with ComfortMax pads is 10 out of 10 for comfort, then B8 is 9 and Pro 82 is 11.
Pro 82's pads are made of a better material, but B8's pads are thicker to compensate for that.
For long-term listening, Pro 82 wins big, it can disappear on your head.
Both are Over-Ear.

Sound:

Bosshifi B8 can sound perfectly neutral or slightly warm, depending on what you are comparing it with.
Compared to HD600, Momentum 2.0, B&O H6 v1 and H7, ATH-ESW9A, B8 sounds neutral with great clarity.
Compared with Pro 82 and Stax L300, B8 sounds slightly warm with a very thin veil.
B8 is about as warm as Stax L700.

B8 sounds warmer OOTB, becomes a little more neutral after burn-in.

Bass:
B8's bass isn't as tight as Pro 82's, but it has longer decay.
You can tune B8's bass by blocking the bass ports on top of the pads.
The effect is very small, and doesn't affect other frequencies.
This is very different from Pro 82, where tuning bass pretty much ruins the sound all over the FR.

The effect is so small, that I can't even describe what exactly it is for sure.
Maybe scotch tape doesn't have the best sound blocking characteristics, other materials might have larger effect.
The default tuning (all 3 bass ports open) sounds great, I always use it like that.

Mids:
Best part of B8, perfect for vocals, especially female ones.
Tonality is near-perfect.
More euphonic and slightly veiled compared to Pro 82.
That veil is only present when comparing to truly transparent headphones - Pro 82, Stax L300 and 009. There is no veil when comparing with 99% of headphones, including Stax L700 and 007.

Treble:
Polite, yet detailed and extended.
B8's treble has less energy, but nothing is missing.

Sensitivity:
B8 is very easy to drive - 106dB, 16Ohm
Pro 82 requires a lot more power - 96dB, 32Ohm

Soundstage:
B8 has a very good, wide soundstage, that always presents a believable picture.

Overall, B8 is perfect for long sessions of relaxed listening.
Very musical, don't think it will do too well with games.
It scales up with better equipment, and sounds best from transparent SS components - doesn't need the tubes' coloration.
Oppo HA-2 and NFB-11.32 (coax in, variable out) sound great.

B8 and Pro 82 do not compete, they complete each other.
B8 is neutral/warmish, Pro 82 V1 is slightly U-shaped, Pro 82 V2 sounds as neutral as a headphone can be without becoming boring.
If something doesn't sound best on one of them, just try the other one.
If you'll have both, you may not need another closed headphone for a very long time

B8 comes with only 2 accessories: 1.2m 3.5mm/3.5mm cable and a 3.5mm/6.5mm adapter.
The cable is great, I use it for many other headphones.

B8 vs Pro 82, which is best for movies? I'm planning to buy one of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back