Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 20, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #586 of 4,535
Mine arrived yesterday, had about 5h on them, amazed so far.

My other phones are Sony MDR900MA Phillips X2 Monoprice M1060 Denon D7000 Beyerdynamic T1

These prove that price means nothing, I bought these after seeing Z review's Youtube Video then and reading through this thread.

Vocals are great i was expecting them to be scooped out with talk of a V shape, but no they are brilliant. The best Imaging of my headphones, the sound stage is great I was expecting it to be in head but its there wide if the recording has it.

Do not use the bass boost switches as described in this thread, it ruins the awesome imaging EQing does not.

Tried directly from my Asus Xonar ST and my LD MK11 with 6N6P-IR power tubes & C3g power tubes, then LD wins out here.

I do not want to go overboard so early on I am excited to listen to my music collection with these bad boys :)

Dec 20, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #587 of 4,535
Wow, I say wow :) Those headphones really know how the music should sound! I expected good sound but surely not *that good* :-o

I'm writing this since somebody mentioned Sony MDR-1A in comments earlier. Almost twin to Takstar I have to say. See pictures.
IMG_20171219_125047_1024.jpg IMG_20171219_125124_768.jpg
I've done business with MH Recording Music Store in September, and I'm one of the poor souls which... well... ...was not satisfied (note the original listing has been deleted from Ali, but you can still find the link in this thread). I've got some extensive discussion with the seller afterwards and decided to reorder headphones -- understand, I'm manager for 15 years and still keen on to learn the ways people think :)
In the end, I received my headphones, second [re]try was a success. And I'm glad I did. Chinese clearly have different mindset than we EU/US.

BUT - in the meantime I bought Sony MDR-1A as a replacement for my broken Beyerdynamic DTX-501p (the reason I was looking for a new headphones). It was an Amazon warehouse deal, were returned by an unhappy customer in a "like new" condition. Which I have to confirm. My humble guess is that a customer returned the item since there were many siblings and overall the sound was harsh. You might easily guess the cause -- not burn-in headphones :) So for me this was a deal hard to refuse (about 120$). Now I've got two similar headphones to compare!

My best closed headphones are small Beyerdynamic DT-1350, the new version with 67mm pads. They are *little bit* demanding ones, both for position on head and music source. On-ear design. Not that much comfortable. But razor sharp. I understand curious reviews all over the internet, they surely require somewhat special handling and about 100, maybe 200hrs of burn-in. I love their detailed sound, especially bass and its extension is fantastic. I'm using mostly Hidizs AP100 as a player or DAC, and I've used it for comparision also.

Compared to DT-1350, the sound of Sony is much more relaxed, smoothed, U-shaped (while DT-1350 are mid-forward). Less detailed than DT-1350, bass is not extended as such (almost anything from Quincy Jones production is a little bit dumb - MJ "Smooth Criminal", "The Places You Find Love" etc.), vocals are not that forward. Probably also design choise to avoid problems with closed cups - which are apparent in DT-1350 (and surprisingly non-existent in Takstar). Sony trebles got relaxed after some 50-100 hours of burn-in. Their rather smooth sound and veiled middles can easily fool you to think "hi-res audio", and yes, frequency response is quite big, just missing details here and there and very low bass is lacking. Of course result depends on used comparision and one's taste, they offer quite nice and *easy* listening experience, not demanding on sound source and ready to use with any portables. There are some vent openings you can cover DIY way to make them sound flat (and boring, I must say).

Now compare the Takstar to Sony (and DT-1350), which might be interested to users of this thread.

Those are very different headphones as sound goes. Takstars apparently don't require burn-in, for instance (although I'm getting impression bass is extending bit by bit). Maybe soundstage is comparable, and both are "airy" compared to DT-1350 (which is understandable since they are over-ear after all). Takstars are much more analytical, VERY neutral, compared to DT-1350 lacking somewhat deepest bass (but you have to listen carefully and compare them to understand), shining in trebles section on the other hand. Detail is very close to DT-1350. There are no siblings to speak of, and so far all music sound "just right". Right soundstage, right separation, right amount of bass, trebles, middles, right vocals, everything pretty detailed. No fiddling with bass ports needed. With Hidizs AP 100 (itself a very neutral DAP) a pleasure to use. They require a little bit more power, but just a little bit. Can be powered from portables, but reveals bad sources easily -- which Sony masks with a grace. Comfort wise, they are the same. Transport is also comparable, same folding design, only in opposite direction.

So those are my impressions. For 70USD or so I cannot imagine a better deal on closed full sized headphones. Hey, you can save on Sony and buy a decent DAP instead -- because Takstar's only "drawback" is the sound source you are about to use -- U-shaped Sony makes most of the players sound better than they are, while not achieving full potential of excellent ones.

Hm, this way, term chi-fi would eventually replace hi-fi.

Myrra

[edit]: attached images since I can do this now.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #588 of 4,535
Wow, I say wow :) Those headphones really know how the music should sound! I expected good sound but surely not *that good* :-o ...
Excellent impressions, I have added both to posts #2 and #3.

Is there a problem with your "J Mirra" account? it's frowned upon to use multiple accounts at Head-Fi.
I'm guessing you used different devices for these posts and didn't remember the password to use for the second post :floatsmile:

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #589 of 4,535
Excellent impressions, I have added both to posts #2 and #3.

Is there a problem with your "J Mirra" account? it's frowned upon to use multiple accounts at Head-Fi.
I'm guessing you used different devices for these posts and didn't remember the password to use for the second post :floatsmile:
No problem with my account, Myrra is not me.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #590 of 4,535
No problem with my account, Myrra is not me.

Oops, my mistake :jecklinsmile:
One hell of a coincidence - two people with such similar nicks posting impressions consecutively.

Hoping both of you will post more impressions/comparisons with time.

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #591 of 4,535
Mine arrived yesterday, had about 5h on them, amazed so far.

My other phones are Sony MDR900MA Phillips X2 Monoprice M1060 Denon D7000 Beyerdynamic T1
Could you compare the Pro 82 to these? (even if some of them are open-back).
I did compare the Pro 82 to the Fidelio X2 some months ago. I'm curious to see if you'd have a different take on that one.

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #592 of 4,535
One hell of a coincidence - two people with such similar nicks posting impressions consecutively.

No worries, yes it is weird :)
Could you compare the Pro 82 to these? (even if some of them are open-back).
I did compare the Pro 82 to the Fidelio X2 some months ago. I'm curious to see if you'd have a different take on that one.

The Sonys are light on bass and have a slight grain, the X2 bass is not refined and have a grain in the treble also, Denon's are nice but have an artificial sounding high end.

The pro82's beat out all of the above the vocals on the 82's are very close to that of the Beyer T1, that touch of ice sprinkled over them.

The Beyers sound stage is better but the 82's imaging is better, I am hearing analogue tape recordings of the 70's having oxide drop outs that on other HP's sounded like cymbals ending short, mixing desk faders being pushed and pulled

I like the bass better on the 82's but over all the T1 win's but we are talking about a £87 shipped to the UK headphone here, I can not believe what I am hearing at this price, all the hype is real for me at lest.

Thank you everyone that commented on these HP's that made me pull the trigger on these, a very happy music lover :)

Opps edit : I forgot the M1060 they have a big big sound lovely bass a tin like mid range that lets them down a bit but I still like them a lot, more than the 82's? not at the moment, the big sound is captivating though so I will be back to them.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #593 of 4,535
It seems like you agree in a way with what BenF said, you have to get to the 1k$ value to beat the 82 Pro (T1), and the 82 Pro still fights at some level. This reinforces my idea, anyone that wants neutral sound should get these, they offer a ton for their price. Thanks for the comparisons :D

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #594 of 4,535
It seems like you agree in a way with what BenF said, you have to get to the 1k$ value to beat the 82 Pro (T1), and the 82 Pro still fights at some level. This reinforces my idea, anyone that wants neutral sound should get these, they offer a ton for their price. Thanks for the comparisons :D
I was expecting nothing much for the price then when I started the music I was amazed, loving this clear but warm analogue sound, that may be my C3g tubes I am hearing but like BenF said you hear your upstream equipment and I sure am.

Dec 20, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #595 of 4,535
....The Beyers sound stage is better but the 82's imaging is better, I am hearing analogue tape recordings of the 70's having oxide drop outs that on other HP's sounded like cymbals ending short, mixing desk faders being pushed and pulled...
...I forgot the M1060 they have a big big sound lovely bass a tin like mid range that lets them down a bit but I still like them a lot, more than the 82's? not at the moment, the big sound is captivating though so I will be back to them.
If you want Pro 82 to sound bigger, definitely try O2 - it significantly increased soundstage for me.
You can pick up a brand new (not refurbished) b-stock for just 99$: https://www.jdslabs.com/products/167/objective2-headphone-amplifier-b-stock/
Combined with SMSL Idea it will also sound more dynamic and less analytical - but still neutral and uncolored.
And don't forget to try the tuning foams!

Dec 20, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #596 of 4,535
If you want Pro 82 to sound bigger, definitely try O2 - it significantly increased soundstage for me.
You can pick up a brand new (not refurbished) b-stock for just 99$: https://www.jdslabs.com/products/167/objective2-headphone-amplifier-b-stock/
Combined with SMSL Idea it will also sound more dynamic and less analytical - but still neutral and uncolored.
And don't forget to try the tuning foams!
The sound stage is great on the Pro82's, I love the C3g tubes I found my perfect amp and tube set up for me, more than happy with it.

Dec 20, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #598 of 4,535
As long as you're happy, that's what matters, if your upstream as the right signature, then you're set.

I really am dying inside because my O2 is not gonna arrive before Christmas *sigh* and I'm not even sure it will arrive in 2017. I'm bitter at Deutsche Post atm.
Ah that's a shame, I tried them gaming with the Astro mixamp Dolby surround, again amazing.

The image is so right, what a buy these are and worth so much more than the low asking price, happy days.

Dec 20, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #599 of 4,535

Yep, just a coincidence :)

Not sure how many posts I'll make, not enough time to enjoy new equipment (*any* equipment :-D) so I don't buy many. And it has to made a sense to me.
Just wanted to post my comparisions -- this thread is a main reason I've bought Takstar and I'm quite happy, so here are my 2 cents...

BTW, my wife have just stolen Sony's for office use, but I'm not jelaous at all, since I have much better Takstars now :-D

Myrra

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #600 of 4,535
Just got mine today. Had an hour listening to them. Honestly, word can't describe how good this headphone is especially at 80 bucks! Are you kidding me! It's even better than some headphones at $500 price range. I am going write a full review on this headphone and spread the word. I am listening to this headphone in stock mode and will mod them after three days. What an amazing headphone :beyersmile:

my chain: Tidal Master > SU1 > Holo Spring Lvl 3 > ECP DSHA-0 Balanced out > Takstar Pro 82

The Pro 82 is not lacking at all while perfectly fit in the system. Seriously, can't imagine it could be this great at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• BenF
Back