Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 21, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #3,167 of 4,534
Just been listening to these through my Darkvoice this morning, terrible night sleep is aside, these sounds open and transparent! Listening to Joshua Redman & Brad Mehldau (Nearness), just sounds so lovely, you get a great sense of the room they're playing in and the cheer of the crowd is recreated so naturally. For a close-back, these just never sound congested or tinny. They don't feel over-dampened or under perform anywhere in the FR, a black background where sonics just punch right through and sometimes surprise you.

This headphone has the capability to really capture the moment in the song, a feat sometimes higher end headphones leave you wanting. Not too bright, not too bassy and a midrange which would give my HD600/650 a run for their money!

Gaming wise, Coolermaster picked the perfect OEM partner for their gaming headset, I've already had great complements for my Microphone, the headphones themselves give me all the "right" details I need in CSGO! Infact, I was picking up more audible info than my other team mates which is a good sign! Directional positioning of game related sounds were easy to locate and does a great job of plotting not just horizontally but vertically too, which some other headphones really struggle to properly display!

Comfort again, is king, the cups fit my ears perfectly! No discomfort after long hours and they are sooooo fricken light! The headband is soft and plush and the cups articulate easily and can be folded flat!

Now, back to the Darkvoice, tubing makes these sound lovely but saying that, these headphones sound damn good out of anything. My model MH752 comes with a USB DAC/AMP/Mic remote, which I've been mostly using and that sounds absolutely fine! I'm happy at around 35 volume but it can go way louder! I have other quite hungry headphones and is sometimes a pain to run them all but on my best DAC's and amp's, it's actually quite nice just to be able to jack these headphones in to a device and a way you go!

I think I'll be adding the Pro 82's to my collection also, as the MM752 has shown me the way and now I want the Pro hahah....Love this hobby!

Jan 1, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #3,168 of 4,534
Wow this topic have really good writers. I am a gm200 user. Before that I am using isk mdh9000 one. It is really good bass head. But seems to me it depress some mids. The gm200 is written as bassy headphone but I couldn't find as much as isk mdh9000. Problem actually I couldn't find gm200 bassy. I am using with khadas tone board. Do pro82 have better bass response to others you think? Or an amp make a difference to sound? Thanks.
MDH9000 probably sounds bassier because of the depressed mids - you need to raise to volume higher to hear the depressed mids, and then the bass hits "harder".
With GM200, the bass elevation is done more tastefully - without damaging the mids and avoiding the mid-bass hump that so many bassy headphones have - so you don't raise the volume too much, and the extra bass is mostly in the lower bass region.
I find it super enjoyable with music like this:

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #3,170 of 4,534
From where can I get replacement pads?
Replacement guide also appreciated.
Takstar doesn't sell the pads separately, unfortunately.
Somebody did post a guide in this thread on how to replace the pads, but I couldn't find it.
Here are a couple people that did replace pads, maybe they can provide more info:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-162#post-14804284
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-200#post-15196278

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #3,171 of 4,534
From where can I get replacement pads?
Replacement guide also appreciated.
Takstar doesn't sell the pads separately, unfortunately.
Somebody did post a guide in this thread on how to replace the pads, but I couldn't find it.
Here are a couple people that did replace pads, maybe they can provide more info:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-162#post-14804284
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-200#post-15196278

It just dawned on me that I never did a comprehensive pad rolling guide considering all the posts and pix I uploaded here about pads. So you'll want to go find the MDR V6 pads mentioned in both of our posts: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSPNJH6/?th=1 and you can find either the sheepskin or microsuede pads there. Both are great (yes I tried them) but the microsuede I consider them "zero compromise" because you get as close to stock sound as the stock pads and even breathe better. Well maybe for some people they don't look as sharp as the pleather or sheepskin pads but hey, I live in southern Arizona so keeping cool under fire is what I gotta do.

Looks like both of us did the same thing: we took off the plastic mounting rings...So let's start with that.

IMG_1972.JPG

See those tabs around the baffle plates for the drivers? You'll want to use a plastic spludger in around at either 45 or 90 degrees to pry open one tab. Assuming you have the actual Pro 82 and not the Cooler Master counterparts it should be a snap (pun fully intended).

Once you get the pad fixture removed from one or two of the mounting tabs you should be able to just peel it off. Go slow and easy and you'll be fine. The rings are flexible plastic and can be bent and broken if you flex them too much (although they can also be easily glued).

Now there IS a difference between the left and right pad rings. The red and yellow squares show you some very small pegs on the rings and the indentations on the baffle plates. If you're installing them correctly, those pegs should rest inside those indentations. Swapping them will cause the seal to be broken and your Pro 82 is going to sound hollow and tinny. Make sure you match the pegs up.

With the pads removed you can peel off the pads from the rings. Don't worry, it's just double-sided tape. Peel the edges of the pleather pads slowly and they should detach with ease. You'll also see some foam inside. Make sure you save those too in case you want to go back to stock - or maybe if you want to add an extra filter to whatever pads you're using. The rings look like this when on their own:

IMG_5088.JPG

Now you can choose to install the pads with or without these rings. Installing pads without the rings may require some extra foam or felt to act as a filter and to protect the mesh that's attached to your pads from the fairly sharp tabs on the baffle plates - those tabs can easily rip up foam or mesh if left exposed. So be sure to have those tabs covered up. So why would you do this? Depending on what filter you use you can get a slightly more open sound stage from this at the expense of sound leakage; they'll leak about as much as an open-backed in this configuration.

At this point I probably don't need to tell you I strongly recommend attaching the rings. The leakage will be reduced and it's the only way you'll have stock-ish sound. Plus, it's...a...snap. Literally. Just gently apply pressure to snap them on. Be sure to line up those little pegs. After that, just attach the pads around the cups.

IMG_8761.JPG

The pads pictured above are the Brainwavz pads that I linked at the top of this post. They have foam filters built-in so no extra foam is required for stock sound. You can add the stock foam back by placing the foam filters inside the ring. It will take a bit of finesse to keep the foam from crumpling up while you slide the pads in place so be careful. You may consider using double-sided tape.

Now if you didn't do as told and you broke your rings there is still hope:

IMG_5845.JPG

These are some sticky-sided foam rings I made in a funny little experiment. It's not perfect and not very durable or reliable on the seal, but it'll get the job done. Do expect to have to replace the foam often though.

And that's how you do it! If anyone has anything to add or point out you know where to find me.

Attachments

• IMG_1975.JPG
    IMG_1975.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #3,172 of 4,534
Excuse the double post but I forgot to add this...
I know Mister Zanos has a reputation but he did score a hit recommending the Fiio BTR5 Bluetooth adapter. And I am pleased to report to you all that it pairs rather well with the Pro 82. If you do have the ES100 from Earstudio you can stick with that as both are great. Have neither yet? Pick the BTR5 if you favor midrange (like I do) and want Hi-Res playback wired, or the ES100 for a little more kick to the bass and have had enough of glass on your portable devices***.

IMG_1971.JPG

Ace Combat 7...Easily my favorite soundtrack of 2019. Fans had to wait the year out (I got my copy delivered on December 31st!) but totally worth it. The marriage of the live orchestra and synthesizer is engineered impeccably - a match made in the heavens. You will hear how well the composers mixed everything when listening on the Pro 82.

***(Seriously, WHY make the front and back of the BTR5 glass?).

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #3,173 of 4,534
Excuse the double post but I forgot to add this...
I know Mister Zanos has a reputation but he did score a hit recommending the Fiio BTR5 Bluetooth adapter. And I am pleased to report to you all that it pairs rather well with the Pro 82. If you do have the ES100 from Earstudio you can stick with that as both are great. Have neither yet? Pick the BTR5 if you favor midrange (like I do) and want Hi-Res playback wired, or the ES100 for a little more kick to the bass and have had enough of glass on your portable devices***.

Ace Combat 7...Easily my favorite soundtrack of 2019. Fans had to wait the year out (I got my copy delivered on December 31st!) but totally worth it. The marriage of the live orchestra and synthesizer is engineered impeccably - a match made in the heavens. You will hear how well the composers mixed everything when listening on the Pro 82.

***(Seriously, WHY make the front and back of the BTR5 glass?).

The BTR5 front and back are glass to improve reception.

Feb 3, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #3,175 of 4,534
One thing I should mention that I've not seen in here despite searching around: the Takstars have angled drivers (as distinct from angled pads).

Same goes for the Cooler Master variants, and I'm sure the GM200 is no exception either.

Feb 6, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #3,176 of 4,534
Good evening everyone, first post so please be kind. Hoping for some help.

I'm choosing between the Pro 82 and GM200. I tried out a few headphones and find that:

M40x - not enough bass
M50x - better bass but still not enough
DT770 Pro - not enough bass
Fostex TH900 - too much bass...drowned out the mids/treble too much for my taste
Denon AH-D9200 - perfect!! Absolutely love the sound profile. Enough bass that's perfectly balanced with everything else. If I was in the market for $2k+ headphones, these would be it. But since I'm not...

In terms of bass, what will be closest to the Denon AH-D9200 - Pro 82 or GM200? I'm not a total basshead, but I do like it as you can tell, especially well-done deep bass. I'm fine with having the Pro 82 with one port open, if that helps.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #3,177 of 4,534
"Cheap" with great bass = Sony MDR-1AM2

MSRP is 300$ but they are often discounted, I bought mine brand new for 120$

Feb 7, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #3,178 of 4,534
Good evening everyone, first post so please be kind. Hoping for some help.

I'm choosing between the Pro 82 and GM200. I tried out a few headphones and find that:

M40x - not enough bass
M50x - better bass but still not enough
DT770 Pro - not enough bass
Fostex TH900 - too much bass...drowned out the mids/treble too much for my taste
Denon AH-D9200 - perfect!! Absolutely love the sound profile. Enough bass that's perfectly balanced with everything else. If I was in the market for $2k+ headphones, these would be it. But since I'm not...

In terms of bass, what will be closest to the Denon AH-D9200 - Pro 82 or GM200? I'm not a total basshead, but I do like it as you can tell, especially well-done deep bass. I'm fine with having the Pro 82 with one port open, if that helps.

Thank you in advance!
I think GM200 would be the best choice for you - slightly less bass and treble than TH900, no drowned down mids.

Feb 9, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #3,179 of 4,534
Hello there!

I'm pretty much a noob in this high fi world hehe. I bought a pair of M50x this Christmas because I saw them on sale for 100 euro and I thought these could be a good step into audiophile sound. I didn’t know much about them at the time so I looked a bit of information and they seemed good. I love how they look, this special edition color is gorgeous. However It's not what I was expecting, specially comfortwise. I don't think they sound bad, I like how the low end sounds with some songs and they're pretty easy to run. However I don't see much difference in sound quality compared to my previous Superlux HD668B. I mainly want to know if these m50's are good for gaming, because I'm not sure anymore. And for what I've read in forums like this one there are better headphones out there.

So yeah, I’m thinking of returning while I still can. I want to compare them side by side with other headphones.
I need closed back headphones that I can comfortably use and carry on flights, buses or in noisy environments. I would use them for media consumption (movies, music…) but I also want to be able to use them for competitive games. I want to be able to precisely locate where footsteps and sounds are coming from.

I looked up some alternatives thanks to forums and videos:

Audio Technica M40x
Cooler Master MH752
Status CB-1
Takstar Pro 82

I need your help to decide. I am mostly between the MH752 and the Takstar, though I like the looks of the M40x. I only have a laptop so I would like them to work good enough without the need of DAC or AMP for now.
Feel free to make other recommendations.

Oh and I guess the Takstars I can get on time are the v1 version.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #3,180 of 4,534
Hello there!

I'm pretty much a noob in this high fi world hehe. I bought a pair of M50x this Christmas because I saw them on sale for 100 euro and I thought these could be a good step into audiophile sound. I didn’t know much about them at the time so I looked a bit of information and they seemed good. I love how they look, this special edition color is gorgeous. However It's not what I was expecting, specially comfortwise. I don't think they sound bad, I like how the low end sounds with some songs and they're pretty easy to run. However I don't see much difference in sound quality compared to my previous Superlux HD668B. I mainly want to know if these m50's are good for gaming, because I'm not sure anymore. And for what I've read in forums like this one there are better headphones out there.

So yeah, I’m thinking of returning while I still can. I want to compare them side by side with other headphones.
I need closed back headphones that I can comfortably use and carry on flights, buses or in noisy environments. I would use them for media consumption (movies, music…) but I also want to be able to use them for competitive games. I want to be able to precisely locate where footsteps and sounds are coming from.

I looked up some alternatives thanks to forums and videos:

Audio Technica M40x
Cooler Master MH752
Status CB-1
Takstar Pro 82

I need your help to decide. I am mostly between the MH752 and the Takstar, though I like the looks of the M40x. I only have a laptop so I would like them to work good enough without the need of DAC or AMP for now.
Feel free to make other recommendations.

Oh and I guess the Takstars I can get on time are the v1 version.
MH752 doesn't sound as good as Pro 82, so Pro 82 it is.
Better buy v2 though, to avoid possible v0.9. Or you can just buy Takstar GM200 instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back