Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 17, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #3,151 of 4,535
I guess fake GM200 should sound like MH751, which is an OK-sounding headphone (Zeos certainly loved it).
Real GM200 has much better quality bass though, and more natural mids - you are setting the bar too low.
Comparing it with other "budget" headphones is a disservice to GM200. For me, it's a better version of Fostex TH900MK2, even if they would cost the same.
They certainly shouldn't lose to SHP9500 in detail retrieval.
Of course, a high quality DAC/Amp is required to see it's full potential.

Yeah, I think it's debatable, shp's are defnitely crisper, I can just hear more stuff going on at the same time and the openness makes them sound a bit more real, it's not like they don't punch way above their price themselves
Tried to A-B them with wintergatan's marble machine song and I can definitely hear more small marble sounds on the shp's, lip smacks, guitar plucks...

I'd say GM200's are smoother though, cleaner sounding on stuff like voices, bass extends way lower too, but I'm still talking about the "fake" version so I'll never know, would be cool if someone compares it with the real one eventually.

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #3,152 of 4,535
The worst part of MH751 is the sound, not the build quality - it's just not on par with Pro 82/GM200.
This problem with the screw seems to be exclusive to MH751 - never heard of it with Takstar-branded ones.

As for the build quality of Pro 82/GM200 - none of my friends/colleagues who bought Pro 82 or GM200 from (of course!) TakstarAudio had any problems so far.
The only problematic ones I have are the two Pro 82s that I bought from another store - their sound quality was severely compromised.

Pro 82 can sometime develop a problem with the TRRS socket - you'll need to move the cable a bit to get proper sound. Easily fixed, and easily avoided - don't remove the cable from Pro 82 unless you really need to.
I have this with my very first v2 - doesn't bother me too much, but I may fix it one day anyway.
Hello @BenF, been following this thread for a long while now. I've just recently acquired the MH751 for CSGO. Just been listening to these today and I'm VERY impressed, if you say the 'Genuine' Pro 82's are even better then I need to add a pair to my collection!

Out of my phone, these sound so damn good! Musical, transparent, nothing is really harsh or rough! The tuning on these phones is impressive!

Comfort and isolation is stupid good, especially for this price! Music just oozes out of these and I don't want to stop listening haha!

I'd take these/Pro82's over my Beyers any day, the 600/650's gotta watch out too! Going to do some matches tonight with these and test out the mic as well! I had to abandon my desktop streamer mic as it was picking up to much room noise and getting to many complaints from team mates haha!

I need the Pro82 now!

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #3,153 of 4,535
DIY wireless Pro 82
IMG_20191218_103938.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #3,154 of 4,535
I finally found some time to do some more detailed comparisons with all the headphones I currently have. Note that I photographed and noted any modifications to the headphone to "tune" the headphone to my liking.

Takstar Pro 82 “Stock”
Stock Modifications: Brainwavz MDR V6 fabric pads
Pixy Modifications: Brainwavz MDR V6 fabric pads, silver-plated wire from driver to 3.5mm jacks on both left and right channels

IMG_1450.JPG

I know I’m using different pads on these stock Pro 82 headphones but since I’m using different pads on my “Pixy” and like it that way, why not use the same pads on both? Yeah, I compared them with full stock pads and I truly could NOT tell any difference. Okay, maybe…1% sound stage loss? Seriously, these pads are almost made for the Pro 82 and I can guarantee the pads sound virtually identical to stock pads as long as you extract the plastic rings from the pads and then snap them back onto the cups. And with that out of the way…

Yes, there is a difference when modifying the Pro 82 to have left and right channel inputs instead of using that cable that’s inside the headband (if I’m not mistaken it’s the Achilles’ heel of the Pro 82). The stock version sounds just slightly more “crowded”. Details and background sounds are easier to hear on my Pixy. I did notice that the bass hits about 2-3% harder on the stock Pro 82. The change is subtle, but present. Honestly, I think most of the change is credited to the silver-plated wires I used because at first I used some old speaker cable I had (which was aluminum – don’t even know if it was coated with any other metal) there was no difference between the two – both sounded the same. If you use copper-plated cable for the dual 3.5mm jack conversion chances are it will also sound the same.

NAD Viso HP50
Modifications: Balanced mod, silver-plated cable soldered from driver to 3.5mm connector, cups swivel extra 15 degrees, Krone Kalpasmos pads

IMG_1440.JPG

I’ve tried to sell these off multiple times and somehow the deals always fell through. It’s funny when you suddenly can’t go around buying up audio crap left and right you take a good look at what you have…then realize you have something already good. That’s how it was with the HP50. If you can get around the weird fitting, bend the cups a bit past the stopping point, and then bend the headband a bit (or just get Krone Kalpasmos ear pads), it’s a fantastic headphone. It’s a bit on the warm side, but the treble is clear and present (though not sparkling). The midrange is what makes this special – it still has one of the best midranges on a closed back headphone I have ever heard.

And that’s why I’ll keep these around even with the Pro 82 – for what the HP50 lacks in clarity and sound stage it makes up with its midrange. Vocals are clearer on the HP 50 over the Pro 82. Remember Paul Barton’s marketing with the HP50 is “small room with nice speakers”. It’s kind of a gift and a curse to the headphone. Every time I go, man I wish the [attribute X] was like [headphone Y] but then little Paul Barton on my shoulder pops up and says, “Eh, remember the intended tuning.” It works on me every time.

Sennheiser HD600
Modifications: Lighter density foam protecting the drivers in the cups

IMG_1457.JPG

This is another one of those headphones I still have and wonder why I do. It's mostly because everyone compares…well…EVERY headphone to the HD600 or some revision to it (650, Mass- sorry, Drop variants). It’s a good sound and reliable too.

Using the foam that had lighter density (it came from the Cooler Master MH752 box, LOL!) than the stock foam discs helped lift that infamous “Sennheiser veil” off of the HD600 a little. Even so, the HD600 is definitely “darker” than the Pro 82. I find the treble just a little too relaxed. Bass and midrange also sound more relaxed. That veil makes the sound stage on the HD600 surprisingly confining – especially for an open backed headphone. It’s like the HD600 is more two-dimensional while the Pro 82 is more three-dimensional. Now if someone were to go from the HD600 series to a Pro 82 I can see that person being a bit jarred by the Pro 82’s highly revealing sound.

Just a side note, I’ve heard from people that a lot of recording studios use the HD600. I’d really like to ask how music is mixed because I’d really love to get music that isn’t brick-walled (compressed). Maybe if more studios used Pro 82s, we’d have more balance to the sound universe or something?

Audeze Mobius
Modifications: None
IMG_1458.JPG

If you have a Mobius, you probably are stuck on the Mobius as the entire headset has an ecosystem of its own. It’s got its own DAC, Bluetooth, and its party trick: NX Waves 3D audio with built-in head tracking. I was playing some WreckFest (PC) on it and the driving sounds were excellent – very realistic…that is until the game would wreck itself me and the audio would get all distorted until I switched back to 2 channel mode.

Honestly, I don’t know why people beat up on the sound quality so much on launch. People weren’t expecting an LCD-2 mini were they? (I actually heard those at a Head-Fi meet up back in early 2018 attached to a Chord DAC listening to Pink Floyd and I didn’t like it.) I consider the Mobius a good Audeze headphone overall. This headphone relies on EQ heavily. “Default” bass hits nicely yet politely, the midrange just slightly recessed, and the treble stops just short of sparkling. If you switch to “Flat” EQ, the midrange and vocals improve quite a bit. The sound signature stays fairly warm regardless of EQ setting. Oddly, I think the “flat” EQ is more appropriate for music than the “music” EQ setting is! Audeze added “Warm” on one of their first firmware updates. Not sure why they wanted to add a treble-killing EQ but following the forums here on Head-Fi after they launched it, people really liked it. Hey, if that’s their thing, I’ll let them be happy with it.

The Mobius does sound as open as the Pro 82 without the 3D technology if not just a little more open. My Pixy Pro 82 gives the Mobius a serious run for its money though on clarity and midrange and more or less matches it (Mobius edges out on full stock Pro 82). I’d give the overall sound quality to the Mobius over the stock Pro 82 just barely. I still prefer the Pro 82’s lighter bass response. I’ll be brutally honest about the NX waves thing. It’s… another DSP, albeit one of the better 3D DSPs I’ve experienced.

You can now buy NX Waves’ 3D DSP app for $10 USD (you get to try it for 30 days). Yes, I got it working with my Takstar Pro 82 plugged into my Topping DX7s and the 3D effect is nearly just as good between the Pro 82 and the Mobius…Now I just need a web camera so NX waves can see my ugly mug – err…properly head track.

Mrspea- err…Dan Clark Audio Aeon Flow Open-Back (1st Generation)
IMG_1444.JPG

The best way to briefly describe the sound on this headphone I believe is best compared to the HD600: The Aeon Flow Open sounds like a more spacious and revealing HD600. It’s quite the HD600 I want the HD600 to be.

Comparing this to the Pro 82 now, the Aeon Flow has a physical advantage – the cups and pads are significantly larger. So this does give a bigger sound stage in a way. But unlike the Pro 82, all the action is happening in between the drivers and my ear. With the Pro 82 I sometimes get a bit of that “hey where did that come from” feeling. I’m not going to exactly say which sound stage is better per se, but both give a different approach on what sounds “open”. I wonder what the open version would sound like without that foam in the grills but I’m sure Mr. Clark tried it and did not like it.

Oh, you want bass, mids, and treble? Actually…I have no real complaints on that with the Aeon Flow Open. Everything you hear on the Aeon Flow you can hear on the Pro 82, vice versa. People will likely find the Pro 82 more “exciting” and “revealing” while the Aeon Flow Open is slightly more relaxed.

Dan Clark Audio Aeon Flow Closed (1st Generation)
Modifications: My bro obliterated the pads
IMG_1451.JPG

It’s funny when the closed-back sounds more open and spacious than its own open-backed counterpart. If you have ever wanted to hear what a headphone with a flat line frequency response sounds like, this is it. Because of that, I find this pair more fascinating than the open version. I wonder if there’s less foam (if any) between the drivers and the cups.

The sound stage gives the same sensation as the open-backed version but with a LOT more space. Yes, the extra sense of space it gives is significantly more than the Pro 82. If you like bass you can feel you probably will want to pass on these because the bass does not hit or slam at all on these. Hey, that’s what you get when you get a purely flat frequency response. Prior Pro 82 users may find this headphone lifeless and boring (and if I’m not mistaken, there were others that thought the same). I see it as an acquired taste that you don’t find in a headphone very often especially in a closed back so I like this headphone a lot – even though it’s not my daily driver.

One last note on the Aeon Flows: I do have two universal issues with these headphones. The first one is the pads. Three pairs of pads have gotten wrecked in two years. It must be the oils my brother’s skin produces. And then there’s the cable…The cable is comprised of four speaker cable wires from the DUMMER connectors to the 3.5mm plug (18-gague?). One wire is broken just at the solder point of the plug. Then it’s got this fabric sleeve that starts wearing down very quickly. Since the cable is out of warranty I’ll probably take the DUMMER connectors and solder some silver-plated cable onto them in the future.

Focal Clear
IMG_1454.JPG

The most money I’ve ever spent on a headphone (I see some of you Focal Utopia, Meze Emperian, and Abyss AB-1266 people laughing at me). Sadly, I may have to agree with them that…you do get what you pay for. These are clearly the best headphone I ever had the privilege of listening to, let alone buying and owning. Only one headphone connected to an old 80s NAD 7125 stereo receiver and a general Audio Technica turntable (with an Ortofon 2M Blue needle and cartridge) tricked me into thinking it was 1979 and I was there when Jerry Goldsmith and his team were recording the music for unveiling the new Enterprise for Star Trek’s silver screen debut. Guess Gene Roddenberry wasn’t kidding after all when he said time travel is possible and all you need is…headphones?

There’s a sense of space and clarity that only the Clear can give me. Those alone are going to pull the Clear far ahead and away from all the other headphones I have. But how does the Pro 82 hold up? Now this is where the fun begins. Bass is very clean and hits on the right spots but responds similarly to my Pixy Pro 82. So losing that small percentage of bass using silver cable worked to its advantage. Mids and vocals on the Pro 82 are just as clear and just as present as the Clear. The treble on the Clear rolls off at the right spot so it never sounds harsh but it’s just enough to let you know if you’re listening to a good or bad recording. The Pro 82 is more revealing – I have a hard time listening to 192Kbps MP3s on my Pro 82 but I can tolerate it on the Clear. The last thing I want to say is that if you listen to a Pro 82 first and then move up to a Focal Clear, I’m going to bet that you will never have a moment of “never heard that in the song before” because the Pro 82 should have taken care of that for you, especially if you mod your Pro 82 the way I have it. The Pro 82 has the ability to give you all the details in your music; the Clear just presents it better. But let me be perfectly clear: Pro 82’s performance is shockingly very impressive.

Koss KPH30i –
Modifications: Copper plated cables to 2 pin plugs

IMG_1441.JPG

Only one word can describe the sound of this headphone.

d9pwwby66zc21.jpg

I’ll give you three guesses.

The huge amount of bass is just bleeds into everything else and creates a very THIIIIIICC sound with very little treble or sound stage. These are really no competitor to the Pro 82 so why even bother with these? Unless suddenly you just now have associated these with Xenoblade 2’s Pyra and Mythra and you just gotta have it.

Koss KSC 75
Modifications: “Kramer Mod”, Yaxi ear pads, 2 pin plugs
IMG_1448.JPG

Half of the price of the KPH30i and (nearly) double the treble? Yes, please. And I like how these sound better than anything Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Samsung, or SanDisk threw in a box. The bass is still prevalent but at least the treble is cleaner but never harsh, making the KSC75 sound quite nice and non-fatiguing yet surprisingly detailed…Almost as detailed as the Pro 82. Don’t bother with sound stage though. Even with the thicker Yaxi pads, you won’t get much extra depth (if any), but it does make them a bit more comfortable. Koss is still the king of budget headphones. Who knows when his reign will end?

Oh and you wouldn't expect it, but combining the KSC75 and an old Sansa Fuze shows the old tech holds up pretty well.

And that's all I have for now. Feel free to ask questions or wreck my credibility (as if I had any here) and I hope you had fun reading this latest episode in my Pro 82 journey.

And I'm sorry for using anime waifus in this post.
Nah, I'm not sorry at all.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #3,155 of 4,535
Wow this topic have really good writers. I am a gm200 user. Before that I am using isk mdh9000 one. It is really good bass head. But seems to me it depress some mids. The gm200 is written as bassy headphone but I couldn't find as much as isk mdh9000. Problem actually I couldn't find gm200 bassy. I am using with khadas tone board. Do pro82 have better bass response to others you think? Or an amp make a difference to sound? Thanks.

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #3,156 of 4,535
One of them is me, they shipped it yesterday. Shipping price was too much for me from the Takstar store so I bought from there. On the item description page they show the original packaging. If it doesn't arrive with it I can get a refund.

If it's not a fake but a prototype product and Takstar has sold them like that they are a crappy company to be honest.
My GM200 were returned back by courier before even leaving China lol. I still want to buy it but I guess I will wait for the next sale.

You've gotten lucky - don't make the same mistake again!
You won't get much (or any) refund for wrong packaging. Besides, why lose on great experience and deal with all of this? Just buy the real deal and enjoy your music!

Dec 20, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #3,159 of 4,535
You are welcome!
Glad you like them!

I admire your patience - you received them more than 6 month ago :jecklinsmile:

That was a loooooong week...

Can you compare them to your other headphones?
I was in different cities all that time
I really am incapable of comparing headphones using any audiophile terms.

I just know I like headphones thar sound good. Robust. Clear. musical. And with nice bass

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #3,160 of 4,535
Wow this topic have really good writers. I am a gm200 user. Before that I am using isk mdh9000 one. It is really good bass head. But seems to me it depress some mids. The gm200 is written as bassy headphone but I couldn't find as much as isk mdh9000. Problem actually I couldn't find gm200 bassy. I am using with khadas tone board. Do pro82 have better bass response to others you think? Or an amp make a difference to sound? Thanks.
My MH752's coming with software as it uses a USB DAC/Mic amp dongle thingy, the software is simple and uses a very basic EQ. CM added some presets and one was BASS/Gaming where they raised the bass and treble a few db's. I don't notice this when I first tried the headphones, resetting the EQ bands back to 0 or neutral, the headphones took on another side, analytical, clean and crisp. Playing with the EQ, the MH752's respond rather well to Eq'ing. I quite liked the added bass and treble as it warmed up the sound somewhat but the mid-range was still present and clear but just sound more fuller!

EQ them!

Dec 20, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #3,161 of 4,535
My MH752's coming with software as it uses a USB DAC/Mic amp dongle thingy, the software is simple and uses a very basic EQ. CM added some presets and one was BASS/Gaming where they raised the bass and treble a few db's. I don't notice this when I first tried the headphones, resetting the EQ bands back to 0 or neutral, the headphones took on another side, analytical, clean and crisp. Playing with the EQ, the MH752's respond rather well to Eq'ing. I quite liked the added bass and treble as it warmed up the sound somewhat but the mid-range was still present and clear but just sound more fuller!

EQ them!

Thanks for reply. Can you show the way of eq'ing without making sound distorting but plesent to ear? I am not the man of eq'ing or kind of adjusting things. Just plug and play.

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #3,162 of 4,535
Today I'll be comparing the Monoprice Retro Classic (about $30 off Monoprice) to the Takstar Pro 82 (about $50 off aliexpress). Was looking to buy a buddy of mine a set of headphones to replace some cheap old treble-heavy Senns with hinges that kept getting caught in his hair.

Retro Classic feels light in an, um, affordable way. Clearly not as comfy to wear as I'm accustomed to from my daily-driver TH-X00 PH or my runner-up Pro82. (Unfair comparison? P82 is one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.)

I'm... not even seriously going to compare the Retro Classic to my Purple Hearts in every song. Aside from maybe sounding a bit more open and not needing to have the 'numb' mid-bass tamed by EQ, PH feels superlatively better to listen to. I will only be comparing this $30 set of cans to the $50 set of cans, a'ight?

First test, on an earworm I recently found in my Discover Weekly:
Ry-Lo, New Friend

♫ And what this feels like, is like love for the first time. ♫
RC and P82 both cover a whole range without any really immediately obvious deficiencies. Both image pleasantly, though P82 intermittently lets little peripheral sounds pop in which the RC ignores. P82 is more musical, and I found myself getting lost just listening for the sake of listening. Worth the extra $20 right there. Just get the Pro82.

Alex Bilancini, Oblivion

Better pop from the Pro 82, but better boom from the RC. Both can take upwards of about 7dB in sub-bass boost in PEACE, if you want that. They're both different but equal in bass... but P82 is again more engagingly listenable, and I found myself listening to most of the demo track in its entirety, where I was pretty quickly ready to move on to the next thing while wearing the RC. Nod to P82 again.

MUNA, I Know A Place

♫ And if you want to go out dancin'... ♫
Oh neat. RC does a great job of delicately separating each woman's voice and capturing nuances of that room they're performing in. The big moment at 3:00 gives me goosebumps, but that's the first time the RC has given me goosebumps. P82, while not "delicately separating each woman's voice," makes the whole performance feel more musical and magical, and the 3:00 moment gives both goosebumps and starts to pull a lump in my throat. Nod to P82 yet again.

flor, warm blood (messyhair rmx)

♫ you're fire, but sweet ♫
Pro82 captures the euphony of this much more gracefully. RC booms the bass more nicely again, but it doesn't capture the glittery rush that this remix is capable of.

Clean sweep by the Takstar Pro 82. In the end, it's not an actual contest. Spend the extra twenty bucks and never look back. ^‿^

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #3,163 of 4,535
I finally found some time to do some more detailed comparisons with all the headphones I currently have. Note that I photographed and noted any modifications to the headphone to "tune" the headphone to my liking.

Takstar Pro 82 “Stock”
Stock Modifications: Brainwavz MDR V6 fabric pads
Pixy Modifications: Brainwavz MDR V6 fabric pads, silver-plated wire from driver to 3.5mm jacks on both left and right channels

I know I’m using different pads on these stock Pro 82 headphones but since I’m using different pads on my “Pixy” and like it that way, why not use the same pads on both? Yeah, I compared them with full stock pads and I truly could NOT tell any difference. Okay, maybe…1% sound stage loss? Seriously, these pads are almost made for the Pro 82 and I can guarantee the pads sound virtually identical to stock pads as long as you extract the plastic rings from the pads and then snap them back onto the cups. And with that out of the way…

Yes, there is a difference when modifying the Pro 82 to have left and right channel inputs instead of using that cable that’s inside the headband (if I’m not mistaken it’s the Achilles’ heel of the Pro 82). The stock version sounds just slightly more “crowded”. Details and background sounds are easier to hear on my Pixy. I did notice that the bass hits about 2-3% harder on the stock Pro 82. The change is subtle, but present. Honestly, I think most of the change is credited to the silver-plated wires I used because at first I used some old speaker cable I had (which was aluminum – don’t even know if it was coated with any other metal) there was no difference between the two – both sounded the same. If you use copper-plated cable for the dual 3.5mm jack conversion chances are it will also sound the same.

NAD Viso HP50
Modifications: Balanced mod, silver-plated cable soldered from driver to 3.5mm connector, cups swivel extra 15 degrees, Krone Kalpasmos pads

I’ve tried to sell these off multiple times and somehow the deals always fell through. It’s funny when you suddenly can’t go around buying up audio crap left and right you take a good look at what you have…then realize you have something already good. That’s how it was with the HP50. If you can get around the weird fitting, bend the cups a bit past the stopping point, and then bend the headband a bit (or just get Krone Kalpasmos ear pads), it’s a fantastic headphone. It’s a bit on the warm side, but the treble is clear and present (though not sparkling). The midrange is what makes this special – it still has one of the best midranges on a closed back headphone I have ever heard.

And that’s why I’ll keep these around even with the Pro 82 – for what the HP50 lacks in clarity and sound stage it makes up with its midrange. Vocals are clearer on the HP 50 over the Pro 82. Remember Paul Barton’s marketing with the HP50 is “small room with nice speakers”. It’s kind of a gift and a curse to the headphone. Every time I go, man I wish the [attribute X] was like [headphone Y] but then little Paul Barton on my shoulder pops up and says, “Eh, remember the intended tuning.” It works on me every time.

Sennheiser HD600
Modifications: Lighter density foam protecting the drivers in the cups

This is another one of those headphones I still have and wonder why I do. It's mostly because everyone compares…well…EVERY headphone to the HD600 or some revision to it (650, Mass- sorry, Drop variants). It’s a good sound and reliable too.

Using the foam that had lighter density (it came from the Cooler Master MH752 box, LOL!) than the stock foam discs helped lift that infamous “Sennheiser veil” off of the HD600 a little. Even so, the HD600 is definitely “darker” than the Pro 82. I find the treble just a little too relaxed. Bass and midrange also sound more relaxed. That veil makes the sound stage on the HD600 surprisingly confining – especially for an open backed headphone. It’s like the HD600 is more two-dimensional while the Pro 82 is more three-dimensional. Now if someone were to go from the HD600 series to a Pro 82 I can see that person being a bit jarred by the Pro 82’s highly revealing sound.

Just a side note, I’ve heard from people that a lot of recording studios use the HD600. I’d really like to ask how music is mixed because I’d really love to get music that isn’t brick-walled (compressed). Maybe if more studios used Pro 82s, we’d have more balance to the sound universe or something?

Audeze Mobius

If you have a Mobius, you probably are stuck on the Mobius as the entire headset has an ecosystem of its own. It’s got its own DAC, Bluetooth, and its party trick: NX Waves 3D audio with built-in head tracking. I was playing some WreckFest (PC) on it and the driving sounds were excellent – very realistic…that is until the game would wreck itself me and the audio would get all distorted until I switched back to 2 channel mode.

Honestly, I don’t know why people beat up on the sound quality so much on launch. People weren’t expecting an LCD-2 mini were they? (I actually heard those at a Head-Fi meet up back in early 2018 attached to a Chord DAC listening to Pink Floyd and I didn’t like it.) I consider the Mobius a good Audeze headphone overall. This headphone relies on EQ heavily. “Default” bass hits nicely yet politely, the midrange just slightly recessed, and the treble stops just short of sparkling. If you switch to “Flat” EQ, the midrange and vocals improve quite a bit. The sound signature stays fairly warm regardless of EQ setting. Oddly, I think the “flat” EQ is more appropriate for music than the “music” EQ setting is! Audeze added “Warm” on one of their first firmware updates. Not sure why they wanted to add a treble-killing EQ but following the forums here on Head-Fi after they launched it, people really liked it. Hey, if that’s their thing, I’ll let them be happy with it.

The Mobius does sound as open as the Pro 82 without the 3D technology if not just a little more open. My Pixy Pro 82 gives the Mobius a serious run for its money though on clarity and midrange and more or less matches it (Mobius edges out on full stock Pro 82). I’d give the overall sound quality to the Mobius over the stock Pro 82 just barely. I still prefer the Pro 82’s lighter bass response. I’ll be brutally honest about the NX waves thing. It’s… another DSP, albeit one of the better 3D DSPs I’ve experienced.

You can now buy NX Waves’ 3D DSP app for $10 USD (you get to try it for 30 days). Yes, I got it working with my Takstar Pro 82 plugged into my Topping DX7s and the 3D effect is nearly just as good between the Pro 82 and the Mobius…Now I just need a web camera so NX waves can see my ugly mug – err…properly head track.

Mrspea- err…Dan Clark Audio Aeon Flow Open-Back (1st Generation)

The best way to briefly describe the sound on this headphone I believe is best compared to the HD600: The Aeon Flow Open sounds like a more spacious and revealing HD600. It’s quite the HD600 I want the HD600 to be.

Comparing this to the Pro 82 now, the Aeon Flow has a physical advantage – the cups and pads are significantly larger. So this does give a bigger sound stage in a way. But unlike the Pro 82, all the action is happening in between the drivers and my ear. With the Pro 82 I sometimes get a bit of that “hey where did that come from” feeling. I’m not going to exactly say which sound stage is better per se, but both give a different approach on what sounds “open”. I wonder what the open version would sound like without that foam in the grills but I’m sure Mr. Clark tried it and did not like it.

Oh, you want bass, mids, and treble? Actually…I have no real complaints on that with the Aeon Flow Open. Everything you hear on the Aeon Flow you can hear on the Pro 82, vice versa. People will likely find the Pro 82 more “exciting” and “revealing” while the Aeon Flow Open is slightly more relaxed.

Dan Clark Audio Aeon Flow Closed (1st Generation)
Modifications: My bro obliterated the pads

It’s funny when the closed-back sounds more open and spacious than its own open-backed counterpart. If you have ever wanted to hear what a headphone with a flat line frequency response sounds like, this is it. Because of that, I find this pair more fascinating than the open version. I wonder if there’s less foam (if any) between the drivers and the cups.

The sound stage gives the same sensation as the open-backed version but with a LOT more space. Yes, the extra sense of space it gives is significantly more than the Pro 82. If you like bass you can feel you probably will want to pass on these because the bass does not hit or slam at all on these. Hey, that’s what you get when you get a purely flat frequency response. Prior Pro 82 users may find this headphone lifeless and boring (and if I’m not mistaken, there were others that thought the same). I see it as an acquired taste that you don’t find in a headphone very often especially in a closed back so I like this headphone a lot – even though it’s not my daily driver.

One last note on the Aeon Flows: I do have two universal issues with these headphones. The first one is the pads. Three pairs of pads have gotten wrecked in two years. It must be the oils my brother’s skin produces. And then there’s the cable…The cable is comprised of four speaker cable wires from the DUMMER connectors to the 3.5mm plug (18-gague?). One wire is broken just at the solder point of the plug. Then it’s got this fabric sleeve that starts wearing down very quickly. Since the cable is out of warranty I’ll probably take the DUMMER connectors and solder some silver-plated cable onto them in the future.

Focal Clear

The most money I’ve ever spent on a headphone (I see some of you Focal Utopia, Meze Emperian, and Abyss AB-1266 people laughing at me). Sadly, I may have to agree with them that…you do get what you pay for. These are clearly the best headphone I ever had the privilege of listening to, let alone buying and owning. Only one headphone connected to an old 80s NAD 7125 stereo receiver and a general Audio Technica turntable (with an Ortofon 2M Blue needle and cartridge) tricked me into thinking it was 1979 and I was there when Jerry Goldsmith and his team were recording the music for unveiling the new Enterprise for Star Trek’s silver screen debut. Guess Gene Roddenberry wasn’t kidding after all when he said time travel is possible and all you need is…headphones?

There’s a sense of space and clarity that only the Clear can give me. Those alone are going to pull the Clear far ahead and away from all the other headphones I have. But how does the Pro 82 hold up? Now this is where the fun begins. Bass is very clean and hits on the right spots but responds similarly to my Pixy Pro 82. So losing that small percentage of bass using silver cable worked to its advantage. Mids and vocals on the Pro 82 are just as clear and just as present as the Clear. The treble on the Clear rolls off at the right spot so it never sounds harsh but it’s just enough to let you know if you’re listening to a good or bad recording. The Pro 82 is more revealing – I have a hard time listening to 192Kbps MP3s on my Pro 82 but I can tolerate it on the Clear. The last thing I want to say is that if you listen to a Pro 82 first and then move up to a Focal Clear, I’m going to bet that you will never have a moment of “never heard that in the song before” because the Pro 82 should have taken care of that for you, especially if you mod your Pro 82 the way I have it. The Pro 82 has the ability to give you all the details in your music; the Clear just presents it better. But let me be perfectly clear: Pro 82’s performance is shockingly very impressive.

Koss KPH30i –
Modifications: Copper plated cables to 2 pin plugs

Only one word can describe the sound of this headphone.

I’ll give you three guesses.

The huge amount of bass is just bleeds into everything else and creates a very THIIIIIICC sound with very little treble or sound stage. These are really no competitor to the Pro 82 so why even bother with these? Unless suddenly you just now have associated these with Xenoblade 2’s Pyra and Mythra and you just gotta have it.

Koss KSC 75
Modifications: “Kramer Mod”, Yaxi ear pads, 2 pin plugs

Half of the price of the KPH30i and (nearly) double the treble? Yes, please. And I like how these sound better than anything Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Samsung, or SanDisk threw in a box. The bass is still prevalent but at least the treble is cleaner but never harsh, making the KSC75 sound quite nice and non-fatiguing yet surprisingly detailed…Almost as detailed as the Pro 82. Don’t bother with sound stage though. Even with the thicker Yaxi pads, you won’t get much extra depth (if any), but it does make them a bit more comfortable. Koss is still the king of budget headphones. Who knows when his reign will end?

Oh and you wouldn't expect it, but combining the KSC75 and an old Sansa Fuze shows the old tech holds up pretty well.

And that's all I have for now. Feel free to ask questions or wreck my credibility (as if I had any here) and I hope you had fun reading this latest episode in my Pro 82 journey.

And I'm sorry for using anime waifus in this post.
Nah, I'm not sorry at all.
Fantastic review! Added to post #2.
Reviews like these are the most valuable - coming from audiophiles and not "reviewers". No review is ever fully objective, but it's the subjective opinions of people who actually purchased the headphones and are using them that reflect true value of Pro 82s.

Here are also some comparisons with headphones @sov73811 has mentioned in his review at https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/takstar-pro-82.22388/reviews#review-22671
=====
Drive-By Comparisons
Neumann NDH20
– If you’re into the latest Harman curve (I am not), you will love these more than the Pro 82. Built like a tank. I don’t know if anyone modified them to go balanced or even get a different cable in its way-too-deep insertion point.
Sendy Aiva – Oddly more closed sounding than the Pro 82. Slightly better transparency. Detail retrieval is on par with V1. Midrange felt…weird although vocals were very lifelike. I liked the headphone quite a bit.
Sennheiser HD598 – Unless you MUST have the sound super spaced-out, don’t bother

=====

Dec 20, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #3,165 of 4,535
Thanks for reply. Can you show the way of eq'ing without making sound distorting but plesent to ear? I am not the man of eq'ing or kind of adjusting things. Just plug and play.
Try these settings in your EQ'iser!

eqmh752.jpg

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back