Takstar HF 580 Planar Headphones
Dec 19, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #766 of 1,250
Hi all! So I was really interested in planar headphones, and a few weeks ago I decided to buy my very first one. The hf 580's seemed like a good, budget friendly option, so I ordered them. Last week my takstars arrived, and immediately after putting them on, I noticed that the sound of the cans are really veiled. To me it was really weird, so I started tinkering with them.
After taking the stock pads off, I noticed, that the drivers had a thin mesh protecting them, and the stock pad had yet an other layer of mesh sewed on. So the drivers are covered with a double layer of mesh, essentially blocking off high frequencies.
20191219_213138.jpg
(Layer of mesh on earpad)

20191219_213253.jpg
(Layer of mesh covering the driver)

I had a set of pad that I made from leather for a diy project, and those pads didn't have a layer to them so I swapped them. After putting them on with the diy pads, the sound became 'unveiled', much clearer and a tad bit brighter, so it's worth a try, if you have this problem as well.
20191219_213358.jpg
20191219_213328.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #767 of 1,250
Hi all! So I was really interested in planar headphones, and a few weeks ago I decided to buy my very first one. The hf 580's seemed like a good, budget friendly option, so I ordered them. Last week my takstars arrived, and immediately after putting them on, I noticed that the sound of the cans are really veiled. To me it was really weird, so I started tinkering with them.
After taking the stock pads off, I noticed, that the drivers had a thin mesh protecting them, and the stock pad had yet an other layer of mesh sewed on. So the drivers are covered with a double layer of mesh, essentially blocking off high frequencies.

(Layer of mesh on earpad)

(Layer of mesh covering the driver)

I had a set of pad that I made from leather for a diy project, and those pads didn't have a layer to them so I swapped them. After putting them on with the diy pads, the sound became 'unveiled', much clearer and a tad bit brighter, so it's worth a try, if you have this problem as well.

Keep the protective layer in front of the driver. This will protect the foil from hair, dust and dirt. I did remove all stuff on HifiMan 400S because I've had the same 'veiled' feeling. I removed all layers in the pad and before the driver. I did improve the 400S a lot. My 400S died in my office during a headwave. The foil got floppy....

Stax is using a very floppy flexible foil just in front of the stators. Maybe this might be an option for planars also?

Well.. on the Takstar I did remove the layer from my 'best' earpads ever: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000322381714.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.69f74c4drOvjfA

it's all so much better now on the Takstar. Maybe I will use those earpads on my Stax L300's also. Now I use HM5 on my Stax, but for (house) music, the Takstar is much better then my Stax. :)

Stax is very good for high definition music, with lot of details... it's not a bumpy thing.... but yeah... costs 6x times more then the Takstar.....

Dec 19, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #768 of 1,250
well..... my (final) conclusion: Takstar 580 is alike Audeze LCD-x....

Audeze-LCD-X-ProductImage-600x600.jpg

I did not yett compare them on my head.... but man oh man... on the Little Dot MK2 the Takstar is in heaven!

And yes... you have to get similar earpads like on the Audeze LCD-x. Otherwise you won't go deep and smooth enough to beat the LCD-x.. :)

Takstar HF580 == Poor men's LCD-x :wink:

Dec 19, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #769 of 1,250
Dec 20, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #770 of 1,250
I'm learning how amazing these headphones really are. I just finished a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog mod on my TR50rp (3d models are now available online) and I have to say, the Takstar CRUSHES them in every category. Everyone on the internet believes the Alpha dogs are one of the top 10 headphones, but the HF 580 is clearer, brighter, and the bass hits SO much faster-deeper. I know that these are two different styles of headphones, but I have yet to find anything better than the Takstars.

Same with the Audeze Mobius which I also bought. I wanted bluetooth planars to listen to at work with the same sound as the HF 580s, and in my option the Mobius sounds "weak".
For gaming too very good. Easier to react all the noises because its so intense. Bass is big and nice slam too so all the steps and gun sounds makes u more cautious. Midrange also has also some nice hardness. But for my liking a bit too much. That's why I started to mod these to make them even better.

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #771 of 1,250
I'm learning how amazing these headphones really are. I just finished a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog mod on my TR50rp (3d models are now available online) and I have to say, the Takstar CRUSHES them in every category. Everyone on the internet believes the Alpha dogs are one of the top 10 headphones, but the HF 580 is clearer, brighter, and the bass hits SO much faster-deeper. I know that these are two different styles of headphones, but I have yet to find anything better than the Takstars.

Same with the Audeze Mobius which I also bought. I wanted bluetooth planars to listen to at work with the same sound as the HF 580s, and in my option the Mobius sounds "weak".

yes I do agree with you. I did mod a lot on the Fostex T50's / T60's... but by far, the Takstar did beat them. I do compare the Takstar to the Audeze LCD-x now. I did replace the original leather earpad with an 'audeze like' earpad of 22euro's from Aliexpres. Ofcourse sheepskin...

And then the crap really happens! Last year I was at a headphone company with headphones from 100e till 25.000euro. I did hear them all.. did test them all.. My son was also with us, and my conclusion was and is stil: It's all in the earpads......

When you want to have good sound from a 'default' headphone, experiment with earpads. That's the freaking mock mod! So, I decided to put the Audeze LCD-x 'clone' earpads on my Takstar...... My Takstar on my Little Dot MK2 beats my Stax L300 (3100 system) now....

So what do you want to do with the Takstar? Get the best earpads ever, and put them all around the outside ring of the enclosure. The way Takstar did put on the earpads is quite wrong! It leaks to much air around the ring, so you loose a lot of dynamics and bass. But when you put the LCD-x 'clone' earpad around the driver enclosure, the Takstar get's so much up in dynamics, deep bass and soundstage. It's unbelievable how good this headphone does perform now.

the earpads: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000322381714.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.20104c4d6AwW0B

Schapenvacht-Earpad-Voor-Monoprice-Monoliet-M1060-Hoofdtelefoon-Oorkussen-Oorkussen-Cups-Oor-Cover-oorkussens-Accessoires.jpg

I 'm in love.... :)

Dec 21, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #772 of 1,250
@Restatic You seem happy :) My only concern is that its not oval outside. Attaching the pads need some thinking. That rectangle seems good. May measure good even without pad modding. I may try them next year and see how the sound is and measure.

Edit. I think I keep this mod. I only made high density foam a bit tighter fit. Measure a bit better and and sound too. I hear some elevated upper treble but otherwise very nice. Slightly relaxed upper middle to low treble. Bass is very nice. Hit like a mule with mods.

L-R measurement with pad mod.png

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #773 of 1,250
@Restatic You seem happy :) My only concern is that its not oval outside. Attaching the pads need some thinking. That rectangle seems good. May measure good even without pad modding. I may try them next year and see how the sound is and measure.

Edit. I think I keep this mod. I only made high density foam a bit tighter fit. Measure a bit better and and sound too. I hear some elevated upper treble but otherwise very nice. Slightly relaxed upper middle to low treble. Bass is very nice. Hit like a mule with mods.

The leather is flexible. On the outside part I did put it around, and taped it off with electrical tape. Airtight fit! So I keep it this way till I die :wink:

Dec 21, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #774 of 1,250
The leather is flexible. On the outside part I did put it around, and taped it off with electrical tape. Airtight fit! So I keep it this way till I die :wink:
Can you please post some photos? Thanks.

Dec 22, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #775 of 1,250
That is the way :) If you like the sound very much then keep it that way. I'll order one pair of these sheepskins see how it sound and measure. My only concern is that how to attach it and keep it nice looking.

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #777 of 1,250
I just found this. It's not really music but there are some fantastic sounds, depth and sub bass.
Yosi Horikawa - Interlude

You should check the_accidental_poet, FOMH and WAVEIVISION channels at youtube :)

Dec 25, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #778 of 1,250
Can you please post some photos? Thanks.

lkOlZUGNF4L3Ag0q1terP3pAFQAQMi58pXLOLq4iRNvitT7_P4HLFff6kNkKWcUjQ-X2MuI7_h91QHH26bOLfXT42oaXpTPq3qSiPgNtKs-bWowO1DdAl-FinvZ5KaTYnJGEFmLsU3rzC_fuVb-YAmJ5m9eEpfqbhMAXnJRT0X7T0ZU77n0Vl4H74e85X97AJyJ59UvupquB8Kz2fYFyD-lIjErmfJCz6g_dLKsP1VmA_nHWCG-wjnM4asmjImOtU7nV_ZHz8xH4IoTpvCZVHzXskZOQNr4-tjDhYPFgqb2mLzQFRafVcNtaDtc1FjkbwkYYAwkuKP-3qR1nZ9oAp-lF8XT2OCTk5fNO4Q-3YUjqzkZg49oTfpDNGpDpCbiuTs9Ceqn-YuJrCq7fWfQu3lvq-xN1TWjZQhlxmp3Dm7jukcyGYG-dS5RSyL3XVDVIp8Uys7mOye5B4wJDvTKHPHYsP9v9N6-9Eo6DPd9kDDbGJPdIVJqxz_aCDvupcSYcN90GwZ0ZE8IBI9S8U_mne1CIgd7AAN-TXugLQxE0_LizMuiikbTY1auPUyBPHXc4HIwfe75lXkVaOeXynOrK7GQwnBoxJeO6CM-xj9yDdKCcYWyIzSamEL1Ro6xX6U-voYVSfzyB7rUJcV33ugNAuIZ0YWdvINawBc0_hiyfmOdHRHcoXwpDZp5B=w687-h914-no

sIRCxjfewDJNd1yF-2E4qyC-LBIo1e4IcuNsEzaxQYGj6HmLomTm5PrTnmLW8_JDewciM3MG9RmCRO-6NqRGcn7YCCvx-iReYhIxZ1OUiIUdYdBobKgJkurtQAKmQj-fN3ufOoqOBSPp35i6_AVjnEUr-STDT4KtSWf9VzshRR45_QE1VyRzL4hL6xoxF4qvUVQmrf4Z7yRIaSryWPmvS22fp5lx59SBo726WEBDwM9RElWhrH6YtMCwgbPXjhA1aQDXwBEtWXPawGuEfbAWvBVGn59yxrXArhGaOfNo-HmjoLIGF_0yv8JKkltaZ4DYFD3jPw2oG0wf1lEYfxajpfsPe7aCj-3Ab-BlwA_kb3qhBahLpnne66_w12cv3V4MBUTL8stZiMPtIiaK3GYBwDvGvNS0u7MYfISwkS4wdHJpd2xWn1L3VbdIRiMiSjNmhWALZfYJD4p9GDYaWeQLKnwCqpnNMgW2kyJA3CsvxPaJfH1bdGtxvz8fpwChynqyQnl8ZhXvExpiBbCQjmx25Du2g8tBZZNnD9GI8FTrCsBj6ndYRoJlV7K71ACSVNWYhM7Uup7KK4vsGVfT6fHqMWpZDj0l1F8g2EF-akw9RVeurGLS2T8W8nfOEvri3gpo9jwxNXHI-i8mQxirZ6epaVCf0mCW5_KfBv6Fb5um-GES2qgefUn89IZ_=w687-h914-no

if you put a small piece of double sided thin tape on the inside of the leather ring, you might get it even look more nice. I want it to be completely closed to avoid air leakage. So I use black electrical tape. It works fine!

Dec 25, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #779 of 1,250
I had to take off the headband. The small screws are easy to remove. I put over the tape over the screws connections, and removed the tape there, so I could put in the screws again. It's very easy, and it looks quite well. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back