Takstar HF 580 Planar Headphones
Oct 12, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #647 of 1,250
Oct 12, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #648 of 1,250
China hybrid pads. Not memory foam even some of the sellers say its. I may make my own pads coz nobody selling the pads I'm seeking. Only pad I have not tested was sendy audio ear pads.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_3,searchweb201603_52

So, tried a couple of different types of pads:
P91012-174837.jpg

What I found to work the best for now is Brainwavz micro suede oval pads. I also ordered the Yaxi HD650 pads to check how they sound like.

Till now, I used the Brainwavz Hybrid pads, with the first back mod you did, and the second front mod. I removed the front mod, and ordered some wide kinesiology tape to cover the entire front of the driver. I think that covering part of the driver with the anti-static foam, and part with kinesiology tape, creates this Ultrasone kind of effect on the sound. Ultrasone is known for using weird methods to tune their headphones, like covering almost the entire front of the driver with a metal plate, which makes almost all their headphones highs sound shrill and sibilant.

Oct 12, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #649 of 1,250
@Hal Rockwell Those premium prized Yaxi HD650 ear pads looks promising.Big thin and deep memory foam pads could work well. Hope they don't disappoint you with that price. Can u take pic ur front mod?

Oct 12, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #651 of 1,250
Folks I just got inspiration. Front of the driver: Kinesio tape > fine mesh > fiber cleaning cloth with holes. Seems to measure good. Approx +4.5 / -4.5 dB. Need to listen now how it performs. Need to do CSD measurements and comparisons too.

Oct 12, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #652 of 1,250
I've been waiting 3 weeks for my HF580 to arrive. They are somewhere in Sumner, WA via Compton, CA (DHL to USPS hand-off point I guess). Should get them early week, but I want to say how awesome you guys are... I mean, I've been watching this thread like I've got money bet on it and waiting to see who wins! :wink:

I have to make sure my ears are clean before they come.
bSMnJZMbXxmH6sZbA

Oct 13, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #653 of 1,250
There is some changes in the sound. What I observed the bass is more solid, a bit cleaner sounding. Worth a try. Does not cost much to do and its easy. Seems to give a bit more treble smoothing and extension and lowers subbass tiny bit.

200 mesh: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fine-Stainless-Steel-Woven-Wire-Mesh-Filter-Grading-Sheet-Grill-Silk-Heavy-Gauze/223244338785?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

HF580_R new filter.png
First is with kinesio only and second csd measurement with kinesio+mesh+cloth.
HF580_R_kinesio.png HF580_R_kinesio mesh cloth.png

@Hal Rockwell I just found Dekoni cushions. Those looks good too. Premium prized... 50-60$. https://dekoniaudio.com/product-category/dekoni-choice-suede/

(ninja edited wrong size)

I saw DIYAH measurements of Dekoni cushions: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/dt-1990-pro/

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #655 of 1,250
Just finished chatting with Ellie from TakstarAudio Store. She wrote that additional pad frames are available for purchase for 10USD for the pair. So, in case anyone needs more frames - just drop her a message on aliexpress.
That is good news. I have already broke one frame... But 10 bucks its a bit too much for the quality.

Oct 20, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #656 of 1,250
The WolfHammer Mod - When I first got my HF-580 I couldn't believe how crappy they sounded... They actually hurt my ears a bit. So after a quick run to the store and like 10 bucks I would put these up against the B20s. This simple mod totally gets rid of the hollow/echo and shrill treble. I now like these better than my T20 Mayflowers and HE-4xx. I hope one of you will try this and tell me if you agree. NOTE: I do have the Sendy Aiva pads and am using the xDuoo XD-05 amp.

Materials: Cotton Balls - 3/8" wide x 5/16" thick rubber foam
001b.jpg

Inside The Can: The black rubber foam around the inside, right up against the grill, with a gap for the wires. When take off the pads you will see 4 silver screws, after you remove those and the plastic ring you will see 8 black screws. DO NOT touch the black screws!! they hold the planar together. Turn them over and tap on the back to help the driver fall out. It will be tough at first because there is a little bit of soft glue at the bottom holding them together.
002.jpg

Add cotton balls to tame the hollow echo sound. I used one and a half spread evenly. This will give you nice sharp, tight bass that is perfect for music. But if you need more "boomy bass" for EDM see the next photo...
003.jpg

... just use one puff of cotton at the top 2/3. This gets rid of the bad echo and gives a nice bright sound. If you want a darker sound, place the cotton puff at the bottom 2/3.
one-puff.jpg

I used light foam disc to soften the treble. If they are still too bright you could use a sheet or 2 of toilet paper. I also double-side taped the Sendy Aiva pads to the rings because they are a bit big/loose and tend to slip off.
006.jpg

That's it! These will make a fine set to my growing collection.
007.jpg

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #657 of 1,250
@RayceManyon You are on right track. These cans need back modding and some to the front too. I have done alot but I still get that hollow sound sometimes with bass heavy car music.

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #658 of 1,250
@Miiksu I believe the super hard plastic and the grill are causing the hollow sound. The black foam helps cover the plastic and the cotton keeps the sound in control, so I am VERY happy with the back end. The front still needs work. As far as the grey foam baffles I made, I do not think it helps much. I can't hear any difference with it on or off. Taming the treble without losing the wonderful clarity is the next challenge.

I am able to listen to the song "Hail to the King" that @Hal Rockwell mentioned without my ears bleeding.

Also I need to change the name. Walmart mod isn't very good, I think something like "The Wolfhammer Mod" is much more descriptive :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #659 of 1,250
@Miiksu I believe the super hard plastic and the grill are causing the hollow sound. The black foam helps cover the plastic and the cotton keeps the sound in control, so I am VERY happy with the back end. The front still needs work. As far as the grey foam baffles I made, I do not think it helps much. I can't hear any difference with it on or off. Taming the treble without losing the wonderful clarity is the next challenge.

I am able to listen to the song "Hail to the King" that @Hal Rockwell mentioned without my ears bleeding.

Also I need to change the name. Walmart mod isn't very good, I think something like "The Wolfhammer Mod" is much more descriptive :wink:
Thats why minimalistic front filter is the key. Try my front mod. Kinesio, 200 mesh and thin fabric cotton with alot small holes.

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #660 of 1,250
Can this headphone works with the Topping A30 modded with a pair of Burson V5i-d?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back