Takstar HF 580 Planar Headphones
Apr 18, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #31 of 1,250
I believe this is a big mistake by Takstar.
@peter123 is right. Weird move. I prefer detachable cables BUT I don't really care with this one. Theoretically best cable is a fixed one, just going by pure performance. I'm more worried about it not being dual entry. Most of my favorite headphones don't have detachable cables.

I've been going through some, well most of the best sub $500 headphones lately

IMG_20190416_171325.jpg
Thing is... That if these infact have the same driver as sendy aiva's that cost $599 bargain factor is out of the roof. Sendy's measure like crap but people I trust, like @Whitigir seem to like them. Sometimes measurements don't tell the whole truth. And if $599 is a good value...

If the driver is the same as sendy, and takstar is known for squeezing every drop of performance from a driver... Look at the $30 hi2050IMG_20190418_201209.jpg
Double layer dampening materials, at a time when most high end manufacturers did not take stuff like that seriously.

I should receive mine soon, and when I do I will let you guys know if it is a fluke or a NUKE :)

IMG_20190418_201734.jpg
I'm hoping hf580 is better than old he400. They share same driver designs. I'm hoping they could match Sundara even :)

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #32 of 1,250
@peter123 is right. Weird move. I prefer detachable cables BUT I don't really care with this one. Best cable is a fixed one, just going by pure performance. I'm more worried about it not being dual entry. Most of my favorite headphones don't have detachable cables.

I've been going through some, well most of the best sub $500 headphones lately

Thing is... That if these infact have the same driver as sendy aiva's that cost $599 bargain factor is out of the roof. Sendy's measure like **** but people I trust, like @Whitigir seem to like them. Sometimes measurements don't tell the whole truth. And if $599 is a good value...

If the driver is the same as sendy, and takstar is known for squeezing every drop of performance from a driver... Look at the $30 hi2050
Double layer dampening materials, at a time when most high end manufacturers did not take stuff like that seriously.

I should receive mine soon, and when I do I will let you guys know if it is a fluke or a NUKE :)

I'm hoping hf580 is better than old he400. They share same driver designs. I'm hoping they could match Sundara even :)

All eyes on you. :D

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #33 of 1,250
PRO80 didn't have a removable cable and still were extremely popular. I guess that making the HF 580 with a non-removable one is a marketing decision to keep the cost down. I would have preferred them to cost 10-15USD more and have a removable cable, but it's not an issue for me. I guess I'll just have to mod it myself, just like I did with the PRO80.

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #35 of 1,250
Best cable is a fixed one, just going by pure performance.
Actually, it doesn't make a significant (audible) difference. Even superior humans with incredible hearing like myself can't hear the difference, so you can be certain that your average placebo prone human with average hearing isn't hearing differences either; they're just imagining it. And I know for sure, I read a book.

I'm more worried about it not being dual entry.
If by dual entry you mean that the headphone cable only connects to one ear cup, it appears to be dual entry, look at the 1st pic on the first page and the picture of the manual.

fwiw, the cable appears to be similar as the one used on the Bosshifi B8, which isn't a bad cable. I hate the Grado cables; to me they are stiff plastic crap that doesn't bend and it develops those annoying bends that can't be bend straight, they are total garbage. B8's is more bendy and doesn't develop stupid crooked bends, should be fairly decent and easy to live with.

But again to contradict you, I'd be more worried about it being dual entry. What makes the Grado cable such horrendous pieces of crap is that it splits and connects to both earcups, so it's stiff piece of crap cable that doesn't bend and goes all crooked, moves the cups, it gets tangled everywhere and bends and pushes in all sorts of screw*** annoying ways. If it connected to one ear cup, it would be less of a pain. This is dual entry, and dual entry < single...

Very interested to see how these turn out! Verum 1 has piqued my interest, but this being on aliexpress give you a better dead on arrival warranty, and given the economics of basement manufacturing vs mass production, they still might be comparable to them and HFM in terms of performance. Hopefully. The cups are quite similar design to 400i, can't wait to see how they compare! And they're so cheap! Price of the Massdrop 4xx!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #37 of 1,250
Who is takstar? Are they putting out cheaper version of Avia? I hate when a clone comes out.

Apr 19, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #38 of 1,250
Who is takstar? Are they putting out cheaper version of Avia? I hate when a clone comes out.

Umm.... no. Not what is happening here. Takstar simply appears to be using the same DRIVER as Avia. Also, Takstar has been producing headphones for several years now; their Pro 80 and later Pro 82 are very highly regarded from a bang-for-the-buck perspective. Please use the forum search.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #39 of 1,250
Actually, it doesn't make a significant (audible) difference. Even superior humans with incredible hearing like myself can't hear the difference, so you can be certain that your average placebo prone human with average hearing isn't hearing differences either; they're just imagining it. And I know for sure, I read a book.

If by dual entry you mean that the headphone cable only connects to one ear cup, it appears to be dual entry, look at the 1st pic on the first page and the picture of the manual.

fwiw, the cable appears to be similar as the one used on the Bosshifi B8, which isn't a bad cable. I hate the Grado cables; to me they are stiff plastic **** that doesn't bend and it develops those annoying bends that can't be bend straight, they are total garbage. B8's is more bendy and doesn't develop stupid crooked bends, should be fairly decent and easy to live with.

But again to contradict you, I'd be more worried about it being dual entry. What makes the Grado cable such horrendous pieces of **** is that it splits and connects to both earcups, so it's stiff piece of **** cable that doesn't bend and goes all crooked, moves the cups, it gets tangled everywhere and bends and pushes in all sorts of screw*** annoying ways. If it connected to one ear cup, it would be less of a pain. This is dual entry, and dual entry < single...

Very interested to see how these turn out! Verum 1 has piqued my interest, but this being on aliexpress give you a better dead on arrival warranty, and given the economics of basement manufacturing vs mass production, they still might be comparable to them and HFM in terms of performance. Hopefully. The cups are quite similar design to 400i, can't wait to see how they compare! And they're so cheap! Price of the Massdrop 4xx!

Sorry, I phrased myself poorly. If there is a difference between fixed and detachable cables, fixed should be better. However I don't believe it to audible. I'm not that into cable rolling either. But that is another (boring) topic.

Hmm... Could have sworn they were single entry. But obviously theyre not. Thanks for clarifying. Reason I prefer dual entry is durability and symmetrical housings. Single sided designs tend to have more "no sound on other channel" issues. Look at all the broken akg's on eBay for example. Lot of tiny solder joints on a small area, cables pushing against one another. Not good.

With one sided cable cups are different internally. Altered dimensions matter. One side might have more resonances, standing waves and other issues. That is especially likely If there is a large female connector inside the cups and other cup has none. Some manufacturers compensate for that and build ridge on other cup too, so cups would be identical acoustically.

Grado cables are truly horrific indeed. I would not blame it on purely dual entry design. It's just too thick and unflexible. A garden hose.

I'm also curious about the Verum. I ordered those while ago but there is a six week waiting time.

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #41 of 1,250
I am interested in the size factor of drivers:
He1000 / Hex: 65 x 100 mm
He-500 / 6 / Sundara: 60mm diameter ?
He-560: 75 mm diameter ?
LCD-2/3/x: 75 ? x 106 mm
Aiva / HF 580: 76 x 96 mm

All those size factors characterizes the sound signature more than any other factors due to the principles of natural vibration modes.
All other factors seem to have 2nd order influences, which can be detected by human brain for sure.

Prediction based on the new dimensions on Aiva and HF 580 stirrs insterest in new sound signature between Hifimans and Audeze LCDs.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #42 of 1,250
I am interested in the size factor of drivers:
He1000 / Hex: 65 x 100 mm
He-500 / 6 / Sundara: 60mm diameter ?
He-560: 75 mm diameter ?
LCD-2/3/x: 75 ? x 106 mm
Aiva / HF 580: 76 x 96 mm

All those size factors characterizes the sound signature more than any other factors due to the principles of natural vibration modes.
All other factors seem to have 2nd order influences, which can be detected by human brain for sure.

Prediction based on the new dimensions on Aiva and HF 580 stirrs insterest in new sound signature between Hifimans and Audeze LCDs.
I have the AR-H1's, you can check out it's spec's here @Joong : https://www.acousticresearch-hifi.com/AR-H1/ - These claim to have 86mm planar drivers!

The descriptions I read from the Aiva thread is similar to what I hear from the H1's but I'd have to hear the Aiva to trully compare. If these are tuned respectfully from the Manufacturer then I'd probably say we've reached a golden era planar affordability!

Looking forward to the reviews to come, I'd personally love to see a closed planar, would be nuts to see something in this price range!

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #43 of 1,250
AR-H1 planar driver.jpg

Yea, AR-H1 headphones priced at 599USD seem to shared with same driver per photos per info of @volly.
The size is deslared as 86 mm, which are of the printed area of membrane whereas Aiva/ Hf580's dimension are of the driver assembly.
It will be very interest and time seems with us.
Just wait what's going on and take one of them.
The impedance is almost the same: 33 ohms, which is 1 ohm difference but it is regarded the same.
The weight of those headphones are around 500 grams, but this headphones have 400 grams.
HF 580 is regarded as implemented with heavier material, which concerns me a little.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #44 of 1,250
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back