Takstar HF 580 Planar Headphones
Apr 28, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #91 of 1,250
My head is going now wild. I have been waiting this headphone to mod. I see already it has some flaws on construction side but I don't mind really. It may be ugly duckling that just need some care. I love only cheap headphones that can produce bretty good sound after modding and equalizing. I'm only owning one planar magnetic hp, that is echo tds-16 and I must its very difficult to mod. Dynamic drivers are much easier to work with it.
It depends on the headphone methinks. I know a fair few people who are all thumbs yet still managed to pull off some mighty fine mods of the Fostex T50rp headphone. The Monoprice planars are equally ‘moddable’ and both makes share the brilliant trade of being affordable :)

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #92 of 1,250
Looking at the measurements on Sendy Aiva it seems that the perceived brightness comes from recessed upper mids/low highs and the 13-15khz region is boosted. That should give the headphones sparkling airy sound. Perhaps all The ringing makes them sound brighter too. If higher regions are tamed a bit and upper midrange is tuned more even, then MAYBE takstars could have Audeze(ish) sound. Unlikely, but who knows.

I'm more worried about all the faults Aiva has are inherent to the driver. Also not saying Aiva's are bad headphones as I have not heard those. However my doorbell measures better than Aiva's so I really have no idea what to expect from hf580.

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #93 of 1,250
Received mine today.
Just brief sound impressions as I haven't had enough time to get used to them.
They sound overly warm. The bass is indistinct and the upper bass shadows the mid-range. The highs are there but not prominent so you certainly can't call these bright. Fairly detailed but soundstage feels small, more like closed backed headphones.
My main headphones are Hifiman HE-500 and the Takstar doesn't get close to them.

Very comfortable though. They are about the same weight as my HE-500 but don't feel heavy on your head. Headband is soft enough not to cause pressure on the top of your head and clamping force is minimal. Cups are big enough and pads just feel comfortable.
Finish is good and cable seems okay to me.

Hopefully more use might sort out the bass but for the money not bad value.

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #94 of 1,250
Can you state if the sound changed when swapping to the cloth pads? And comfort comparisons?

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #95 of 1,250
Received mine today.
They sound overly warm. The bass is indistinct and the upper bass shadows the mid-range. The highs are there but not prominent so you certainly can't call these bright. Fairly detailed but soundstage feels small, more like closed backed headphones.
My main headphones are Hifiman HE-500 and the Takstar doesn't get close to them.

Very comfortable though. They are about the same weight as my HE-500 but don't feel heavy on your head. Headband is soft enough not to cause pressure on the top of your head and clamping force is minimal. Cups are big enough and pads just feel comfortable.

wasnt expecting them to be amazing out of the box, so hopefully modders can figure it out.

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #96 of 1,250
wasnt expecting them to be amazing out of the box, so hopefully modders can figure it out.
You also gotta understand that he's comparing it to HE500 which is/was a much more expensive product.

You gotta be realistic. This is why I like to gauge headphones on their own merits relative to their own price range, and give them at LEAST a week of exclusive head time, so your ears adjust.

Headphone swapping is almost always detrimental to whatever you're not accustomed to.

Not saying his opinions are invalid. Just saying quick impressions next to a higher end headphone is not going to be fair for a value product that is fundamentally different in sound signature.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #97 of 1,250
Yes, early days yet, but the bass bothers me the most.
If you play a track with not much bass they sound very good, mid-range is clear and detailed but I would like a bit more sparkle in the highs. But anything with bass in it and it seems to overwhelm the whole sound and sounds fuzzy. I do like bass but I like it tight and the tightness I think is lacking. Some people may prefer that sound though.

Haven't tried the cloth pads yet as I want to get used to the sound with the stock pleathers. In my experience cloth or velour pads usually makes the bass more prominent.

I am impressed with the comfort though.

Apr 29, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #99 of 1,250
Funny seeing as I almost always get the opposite effect, and pleather always retains the bass and warmth the most, and moving to cloth/velour takes away from bass, and makes headphones brighter.

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #100 of 1,250
Funny seeing as I almost always get the opposite effect, and pleather always retains the bass and warmth the most, and moving to cloth/velour takes away from bass, and makes headphones brighter.

^^Yeah, this is my experience as well.

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #101 of 1,250
Received mine today.

Interested to know what you're audio source consist of (DAC/Amp), how's the SPL? Do you need to crank these babies?

Apr 29, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #102 of 1,250
I have just used them for a couple of hours movie watching. Think the bass is getting better or maybe I am getting used to them. Comfort is great, didn't feel the weight at all. I think the soundstage is getting better too.

Tomorrow I will try them with the cloth pads.

I have been using a TDA1547 DAC that I built from a kit into a 6L6 tube amp that I also built from a kit. The Takstars don't seem to need that much power, less than my Hifiman HE500.

I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed with these Takstars. They are excellent for the price even if they are not perfect. I would prefer tighter bass and brighter highs but I am happy with them as they are.

Apr 29, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #103 of 1,250
I have just used them for a couple of hours movie watching. Think the bass is getting better or maybe I am getting used to them. Comfort is great, didn't feel the weight at all. I think the soundstage is getting better too.

Tomorrow I will try them with the cloth pads.

I have been using a TDA1547 DAC that I built from a kit into a 6L6 tube amp that I also built from a kit. The Takstars don't seem to need that much power, less than my Hifiman HE500.

I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed with these Takstars. They are excellent for the price even if they are not perfect. I would prefer tighter bass and brighter highs but I am happy with them as they are.
This is actually right in line from what I had hoped to hear. If it's a planar give me that planar bass.

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #104 of 1,250
i wonder if my FiiO E10K will be enough for this HF580? i tried E10K with AKG K701 once and it was dissapointment, right now i use it with Pro 82 and it works great with this sweet bass boost/ Im kinda far away from this OHMs stuff and how it works
I just saw people say that they gonna be power hungry so im not sure.. I just always wanted to try any planar headphones and this is good chance.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #105 of 1,250
The real question is whether it beats HE-4XX, especially when using better earpads on the latter such as perforated Brainwavz XL and OCC cable.

The word is out on how to build ortho drivers in your garage, what matters is whether they're all trying to reinvent the wheel when Hifiman has been polishing his stuff for a while now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back