Taking the plunge on CIEMs. Need help and advice!
May 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Erecent

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, after much consideration, i have decided to take the plunge and go with custom IEMs. I listen to mostly electro-pop and a dash of heavy metal every now and then. My budget is around $300 but i'm willing to exceed it a little. Currently, i'm looking at the 2 options below:

1.) TF10 reshell
2.) 1964-D with soft canals

My question is, how does the above 2 options compare? Is triple drivers better than dual drivers? Also, comfort is a major concern for me because i need to go on frequent business trips with grueling 24hr flights. How comfortable are the soft canals that 1964 offers? Do feel free to suggest alternatives to the above two. I'm still very new to the CIEM scene and would greatly appreciate any help offered.

May 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 6
While I haven't seen anyone compare the two directly, I would suggest that you should just go for the duals. I read somewhere that they're comparable to the JH5's which are generally recommended over TF10 reshells.
Also, the soft canals can provide a better fit, but the difference is all in the impressions. Some users have reported back having used both, and state that as long as the acrylic shells had a good mold to be built from that they're just as comfortable as soft. I can certainly agree that good fitting acrylic is very comfortable, especially when compared to universals.

May 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 6
The Heir Audio 3.a is still on sale for $350, if you decide to raise your budget a bit. I have never heard them, but after having some chats here in private with Wizard, they would be something I would look into if I were in the market. He is a very cool guy to chat with. I do have customs and I agree with Fizz, once they are fitted properly comfort is top notch.

May 11, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the advice folks! Looks like the "soft canal" option isn't really needed at all. Just wondering if there are any options which i could explore with my limited budget of 300USD

May 11, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Thanks for the advice folks! Looks like the "soft canal" option isn't really needed at all. Just wondering if there are any options which i could explore with my limited budget of 300USD

I was in the $300 area doing my TF10 re-shell, that even includes my FiiO cable and my impressions. But the TF10's are a little more money now. You need to be able to buy them around $120-$130 to stay close to $300. There are ways to save like DIY impressions, so that is an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back