Taking the Grado RS-1 plunge
Jun 26, 2003 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Leo

100+ Head-Fier
Well the time has come and this weekend I'm taking the RS-1 plunge. I'm trading in my SR225's; they were fun while they lasted, but ultimately doomed from the beginning because I made the mistake of listening to the RS-1 when I auditioned the SR225's.
wink.gif
So on Saturday I will move up the ladder of Team Grado and add the RS-1's to my collection. It will be paired with the RA-1 amp. I should also have my order of replacement soft pads in for the wife's SR60. Yeah, she too is a Grado lover!
rs1smile.gif

Jun 26, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 33
Way to go Leo! I guess you can count on me nocking on your door to listen to those RS-1's. PM me when you get them and let me no how they sound with the new CDP.

Jun 26, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 33
Tom, sure thing. Going to enjoy this next upgrade.

My only advice to others who audition can's is: don't listen to the RS-1's unless you plan on buying them.

Jun 26, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Leo
Tom, sure thing. Going to enjoy this next upgrade.

My only advice to others who audition can's is: don't listen to the RS-1's unless you plan on buying them.

Why did I do it?? Why??
frown.gif

Oh well, even though I can't afford RS-1's yet I plan on buying them someday. I'm going to be picking up either some SR225's or SR200's in the meantime however, so those should suffice
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats on the phones, enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Your wife may want a pair of MSPros to go along your RS-1, you know, in the interest of fairness
wink.gif

... or at least those SR225's.
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Leo
Well the time has come and this weekend I'm taking the RS-1 plunge. I'm trading in my SR225's; they were fun while they lasted, but ultimately doomed from the beginning because I made the mistake of listening to the RS-1 when I auditioned the SR225's.
wink.gif
So on Saturday I will move up the ladder of Team Grado and add the RS-1's to my collection. It will be paired with the RA-1 amp. I should also have my order of replacement soft pads in for the wife's SR60. Yeah, she too is a Grado lover!
rs1smile.gif

Congrats and enjoy!!
And your wify has an excellent taste. let her listen to it and see what she sez.
rs1smile.gif

Jun 26, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #11 of 33
/me drives two hours to Norcross.
-Mag

Jun 26, 2003 at 7:37 AM Post #12 of 33
I don't want to change your mind but I have RS1's and RS2's and I can't tell the difference between the two maybe a bit more bass in the 1's but they are so close.I use the RS2's for portables now, but I feel that I wasted some money on the RS1's but what the hell it is only money.

Jun 26, 2003 at 10:53 AM Post #13 of 33
Well as a consolation prize the wife gets an new 10GB iPod (3rd generation) this week. So it's all fair. I already have the 5GB original iPod with the scroll wheel.

Jun 26, 2003 at 12:31 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
A couple that Grados together, stays together.

Heh, those words are SO TRUE!

When I purchased the RS-1's (well she bought them for me for our second Christmas) she inherited my SR-60's and she couldn't be happier. I have told her that I would buy her the RS-1's if she wanted. Thus far she is so very content to use the SR-60's and although she does notice the difference in quality, she doesn't much care. Her source is her pc and the SR-60's do well enough for her and her mp3 collection.

Leo congrats on the RS-1 purchase. It seems Grados are hot on the boards lately. There are always cycles, the "hot phone of the moment" kinda phase but it does seem that three companies consistently stay at the top:
Etymotic, Grado and Sennheiser. Ety 4 series, Grado RS-1's and Sennheiser HD600's continue to remain the available reference phones while the HP-1000's and Sony R10's are for those who are lucky enough to find them and/or have the cash necessary to fork over for them.

The RS-1's as you know are stellar phones. Nothing is truly "better" in all aspects but simply different at this level. Enjoy your sleepless weekend. You will be doing a lot of listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
There are always cycles, the "hot phone of the moment" kinda phase but it does seem that three companies consistently stay at the top:

The RS-1's as you know are stellar phones. Nothing is truly "better" in all aspects but simply different at this level.

Must be that 'coloration' Grado figured out. Not the most Hi-Fi ish 'fones around, yet they've got something right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back