Taking Grado comfort to the extreme...
Sep 14, 2002 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Voyager

Do not let me borrow your SportaPros
Sorry for the poor quality of the pics, more information later. Just thought some of you might like to see these...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Photo+35.jpg

Photo+44.jpg

Photo+38.jpg

Sep 14, 2002 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 10
OK..I'll bite. How did you DO this???

biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 10
Actually, they aren't really blue. The are the same pads that are on the HD580s. (I did say poor image quality) And the old ones are on for a reason. The way they are currently set up is to reverse the bowl pads, and then place the senn pads such that the plastic part fits around that indentation that holds the pads on. And it's a shame that you think they are ugly, because they are the best sounding headphones i have ever heard. Period. (I haven't heard the R-10, but i have heard the Orpheus) The sound remains very much the same, with a few differences. The biggest two differences are the bass and soundstage. The bass goes MUCH deeper, easily as much as the HD580. And at the same time, the bass is never boomy, it still has all the punch and tune present in the HP-1, just deeper. The soundstage is also much wider, about the same as the HD580, and instruments are better imaged and separated within the soundstage. The sound in general is more coherent. Also, the midrange is just a touch sweeter.

And to the point of taking off the old pads, it doesn't sound right. With nothing but the senn pads, the sound is much more bright and brittle. By placing the foam from the HD580s over the drivers before placing on the pads, the sound is better than without anything. Still the sound is not right, the bass and soundstage are there, but the midrange and treble are very much veiled. Leaving on the bowl pads and then placing the senn pads over them yeilds better results, but it still lacks something in the midrange. It isn't veiled, but sounds slightly recessed in comparison. With the bowl pads reversed, and then the senn pads placed over them, the midrange becomes just as rich as before, and they retain all the benefits of the enhanced soundstage and bass. Also, they are just as comfortable as my HD580s.

Sep 14, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 10
Sep 14, 2002 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 10
SOCK MODS?

Thud.
(faints due to sheer style sacriledge)

Sep 14, 2002 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 10
Voyager, do you have the flat pads for you HP-1? They supposedly sound better than the bowls and are more comfortable.

I have a HP-2 with year-old flats coming in the near future. ...

kerleybonto

Sep 14, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 10
I've tried the sock mod on my SR-80s, and it doesn't look bad at all. Just use black socks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back