Taking a step up.
Oct 4, 2009 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

copperdusk

Head-Fier
Currently all I use when I'm at home or out and about are my Panasonic RP-HTX7s. Recently I bought and have yet to set up a Peachtree Audio Nova. I feel this is a rather large boost to my home system which used to be just my laptop. With this new system I feel I should get some proper 'phones. Although after shelling out the price of the Nova I'm a bit strapped for cash. With my aching wallet in mind, I was wondering if any of you knew a good pair that would sound nice coming from the Nova, but might also be used with my Creative Zen which I will soon be getting a mobile amp for.

With all that being said, I must warn you I am still very much a newb to the headphone portion of the audio world. So don't be angry when I get a bit lost while you talk about frequency response and all that(I'm working on trying to learn it).

I guess I should actually tell you what I'm looking for in a pair of headphones
tongue_smile.gif

The music I listen to is all over the place(Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, The Beatles, The Ramones, Flogging Molly, Animal Collective, The Clash, Apocalyptica, Cake, Styx, Tchaikovsky, Etc...). I could go for either closed or open it doesn't matter all that much (although using them when I'm in the library might be difficult with open cans). Since they're going to be pulling double duty home and on the road, I could probably do a budget of around $150-$200 (I could go more if the extra cash would be truly worth it).

I hope that's enough information for you guys to make suggestions. If you need to know anything else let me know. Thanks ahead of time to anybody with an opinion!

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 4
After thinking this over again, I've relaized I should just forget about upgrading my portable rig for the time being and focusing on a most excellent set of cans for my home setup.

With that being said, I would be listening to my music from either my turntable or from my laptop(which at the moment I belive all the tracks on there are of rather low quality. So I'm going to have to go back through and re-rip my CDs with a better but rate.) being run through the DAC of the nova. Also since I'm not bothering with portability anymore I think open cans would be my preference at the moment.

I hope what little more I told you helps and that this doesn't become a forgotten and lonely thread.

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 4
For around ~260+ you can snag a HD600 or HD650 if someone is nice to you. I think you have a lot of options if you bumped your budget to 300 since a lot of great cans that are worth keeping are around that price. You can get almost all the flagship phones (before the HD800 and those types came out) for that price such as K702, Dt990/600 ohm, DT880/600 ohm (moonaudio.com), HD650, HD600, SR325i, and many more. It all depends on your taste but those will definitely be worth it.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 4
From the further research I've done it doesn't look like I'll have too much trouble driving any 'phones(but then again I could be completely wrong. What a silly newb I am.
biggrin.gif
).

As for my taste, I'm not quite sure what to say(Silly newb again!
biggrin.gif
). To my knowledge there aren't any audio stores in my area that carry such quality headphones. I'd much prefer being able to hear the cans in person beforehand, instead buying blindly based on what other people say on the internet.

I've heard some people talk about audio meets. I was wondering what those were all about and if they would be a good option to help me make an educated decision?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back