Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War, Best War movie I've ever seen!
Jul 18, 2005 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Todd R

Headphoneus Supremus
You guys got to watch this one!
Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War
This is the best war movie I have ever seen, period!

In 1950's Seoul, Jin-Seok (Won Bin) and his older brother Jin-Tae (Jang Dong-gun) are enjoying a strong family life of perfect happiness. Suddenly, they find their lives turned upside down as soldiers of the South Korean government seize them – all men aged 18 to 30 are taken – and they are forced to take up arms – despite their lack of training – against the approaching North Koreans

Great story, unbelievable battles, and absolutely heartbreaking situations.

Be warned, it's a very graphic war movie also.
Rent it!

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 30
Best war movie ever.
icon10.gif
Totally rocked Saving Private Ryan. Yes, there is a region 1 DVD out already. I rented it about six months ago from Blockbuster.

I liked that they limited the fighting scenes to actually include character and story development. The ending was just......

Jul 18, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by pigmode
Mmmm, it was good but I can't really say its the best or that it was better than Private Ryan. The brother-rivalry thing got old pretty quick. "Der Untergang" was a slight cut above.

Keep in mind that's it's a cultural thing. The idea of an older brother making sacrifices for a younger sibling, taking care of parents is a very old Korean tradition. Just watching some of the clips, it's pretty heart breaking to watch.

I'm going to have to rent/buy/check it out. Thanks for the info Todd, this one totally flew under the radar for me.

I'm not sure if my parents would like this one. I'm thinking it's OK, my Dad is the only one that was old enough to remember the Korean War.

-Ed

Jul 18, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 30
Great movie, Ive been into asian cinema for sometime now, and this one gets one of the top recommendations.

The only downside of this film is the overly happy scene in the beginning, I know that they were trying to show the love of the two brothers, but it was too much. Other then that its a great film.

On a side note there is another movie out called "friend" aka Chingoo, which stars the same actors. I like that film more so than tae gu ki

Jul 18, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Great movie, Ive been into asian cinema for sometime now, and this one gets one of the top recommendations.

The only downside of this film is the overly happy scene in the beginning, I know that they were trying to show the love of the two brothers, but it was too much. Other then that its a great film.

On a side note there is another movie out called "friend" aka Chingoo, which stars the same actors. I like that film more so than tae gu ki

I agree with you on the beginning being a little too happy. It felt really forced, but I understand since they only had a few minutes to establish their family life before they go off to war. But the last battle scene when they meet again completely makes up for it (won't say more to spoil it
icon10.gif
).

As far as I know Friend only had one of the actors from Tae Gu Ki (Jang Dong Gun). It was well acted but the storyline reminded me too much of Shanghi Grand, even the part at the end when Jang Dong Gun walks out.....
rolleyes.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #15 of 30
In any case, it was a lot better than the predictable formula crap movies that Hollywood puts out.
I love that foreign (to Americans) films have such a fresh perspective and usually much better stories.
TR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back