T2 - Finally bought one!
Jul 26, 2018 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 139
I probably should have waited to post, until I've logged a lot more hours. But I also find myself a bit too buzzed & excited to hold off! Right out of the box, and even with stock Russian EL34, this thing is bloody a-mazing. I basically knew what to expect, having heard Purk's amazing T2 a number of times, but somehow it always felt distantly intangible & unobtainable. Even after placing an order with the top builder, and seeing it progress (quite rapidly, to my pleasure), it still didn't feel like "THAT" T2 sound was coming to me - until I just now hooked it up, plopped the 009S on my head, and dropped the needle. Wow! Still feels like the 1st time, every time I've listened to one. Those of you who own a T2 - does this first-time-y feel ever fade? Please say no :D

EDIT August 23, 2018: There was no first-timey trickery involved here; this T2 is legit! Seriously magic; this is THE best electronic component I've ever owned or heard - and I've owned/heard a lot! This is what I save if a fire strikes.

I remember being a complete newbie to Stax 4 years ago, having only previously experienced the 007 Mk I from a plain KGSS - a system that I felt to be very mediocre. Hearing the 009 for the 1st time, out of Purk's KG/DIY T2, freaking blew me away. Then I tried it out of a KGSShv and BHSE. Still excellent, but notably a level down, even to my rookie 'stat ears. At that time, the BHSE sounded much closer to a KGSShv than the T2 (to be fair, that particular KGSShv turned out to be my favorite out of all the 5 I've heard). Call me crazy, but it's feeling that way again. And I really do prefer the BHSE over KGSShv and Carbon, because of the tube mids. But this is next-level clarity, speed, tone, dynamics, and outright realism.

Man, just when some of you guys maybe thought you couldn't deal with one @Whitigir, now you're gonna have another! LOL.

Turntable source. Man, this thing gets as hot as one of the power amps in my big rig! Love the huge & imposing look. What a beast! The pink arrow is a sticky note sliver for volume reference - not permanent; don't worry!
ylGxqYB.png

And here's the pretty little BHSE, which now has to chill at the foot of my big rig (just on the other side of the room), while I try to figure out what the hell happened to all my space:
bs1UaXd.png

My builder was GeorgeP, and he did a fantastic job, exceeding expectations in every way. I just waited to confirm that it was OK to reveal his handle. This build process really couldn't have gone any smoother, aside from US Customs' rough opening/handling, which was nobody's fault! What an awesome builder, and I love the refinements he's worked into this version of the original KG DIY T2.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 139
Mind-blowing. As you guys can see above, I've been though a LOT of gear in my days. As a high-end gear & music addict you long for, and seek, but rarely if ever find that one "magic" component which can just drop into almost any system - already decent to great - and elevate the whole musical experience to the next level. I've got an old alnico-magnet Koetsu Onyx Signature cartridge that can do this - it seems to be made from magic (even after rebuild), and even the vaunted Koetsu Coralstone Platinum can't match it. Then there are the Mazda silver-plate 12ax7. Total magic in every application I've tried so far; absolutely creams Telefunkens, Mullards, RCAs, GEs, Sylvanias, etc. The T2 is the only other component I've encountered so far that also seems to be made of magic.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 139
Wow, that T2 looks kind of like a HeadAmp BHSE.

I really cannot even imagine a level above the SR-009 + KGSSHV Carbon/Grounded Grid/BHSE (and Megatron I suppose) as far as headphones go. But everyone with T2 experience seems to agree so it's unanimous. But I can't imagine it whatsoever. Glad you get to experience it.

I also had an SR-007 and (China clone) KGSS, and the funny thing is while it is indeed mediocre compared to a KGSSHV and above, I still found it to slightly surpass all non-electrostatic headphone systems. But only slightly. Once a KGSSHV or above enters the mix (let alone the T2), these headphones soar far above what non electrostats can dream of.

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 139
I also had an SR-007 and (China clone) KGSS, and the funny thing is while it is indeed mediocre compared to a KGSSHV and above, I still found it to slightly surpass all non-electrostatic headphone systems. But only slightly. Once a KGSSHV or above enters the mix (let alone the T2), these headphones soar far above what non electrostats can dream of.
Yes, I am being too hard on the 007/KGSS. It was still excellent compared to dynamic headphones, except in the area of bass-slam, dynamics, rockability, etc. I called it mediocre a bit out of cruelty - because I went in with high expectations, and remember being disappointed by it. I was a fan of the ATH-L3000 "Leatherhead" in those days (~ 2006) - and man, talk about a tale of two (completely) different bass responses! I like a lot of hard rock & heavy metal, and that KGSS/007 just didn't cut it for me.

This T2 is much bigger than the BHSE, and runs a lot hotter too!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 139
Congrats !

Its a remarkable technological jewel you have there !

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 139
Congrats dude....you deserve it!

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 139
Mind-blowing. As you guys can see above, I've been though a LOT of gear in my days. As a high-end gear & music addict you long for, and seek, but rarely if ever find that one "magic" component which can just drop into almost any system - already decent to great - and elevate the whole musical experience to the next level. I've got an old alnico-magnet Koetsu Onyx Signature cartridge that can do this - it seems to be made from magic (even after rebuild), and even the vaunted Koetsu Coralstone Platinum can't match it. Then there are the Mazda silver-plate 12ax7. Total magic in every application I've tried so far; absolutely creams Telefunkens, Mullards, RCAs, GEs, Sylvanias, etc. The T2 is the only other component I've encountered so far that also seems to be made of magic.

Well, there go the days of a "Starving Student" driving a pair of Senn HD414's........:ksc75smile:

Jul 27, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 139
Wow the T2 would be my dream. Now I'm awaiting a tube preamp for my KGSShv Carbon to have something of these tube magic and hopefully a meatier fuller sound with more low-end.
May I ask for the costs of the T2? The one from Kerry looks smaller.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 139
Wow, that T2 looks kind of like a HeadAmp BHSE.

I really cannot even imagine a level above the SR-009 + KGSSHV Carbon/Grounded Grid/BHSE (and Megatron I suppose) as far as headphones go. But everyone with T2 experience seems to agree so it's unanimous. But I can't imagine it whatsoever. Glad you get to experience it.

Once you hear a T2, and being an enthusiast, the sound will haunt you !

I was once there, could not believe what T2 could be. How could it possibly outperform Carbon/Grounded Grid ? But I pulled it off anyways, and I drop my jaw every time I listen to it. Not by 5% or 10% but next level of performances
Congratulation @mulveling ! Welcome to the club ! Yeah, the T2 is a furnace :D it warm both body&soul + earsgasm. We are probably getting the very last drops of original T2 build. Parts are obsolete and extinct X_X
The first time experiences will never fade. Because it never ceases to amaze :)
Congratulation @jigster ! That is modern minified T2 and is all Kerry! One day I would love to hear it too!
@mulveling internal shots please! Share some of those :D, and more pictures! Also, if you could split T2 a part and not stacking. It is recommended
@georgep is the best! Without his helps, I wouldn’t be able to have a T2, and his new chassis is amazing !!! Which luckily I have one too

Wow the T2 would be my dream. Now I'm awaiting a tube preamp for my KGSShv Carbon to have something of these tube magic and hopefully a meatier fuller sound with more low-end.
May I ask for the costs of the T2? The one from Kerry looks smaller.

There was a T2 listed for sale in headfi, priced around $10-11k. New T2 cost as much as a builder asking price . Not many will build a T2, and without a builder, you can not get one X_X

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 139
Congrats! Just received mine from Kerry yesterday.
sTxA10r.jpg
Amazing looking stack and good to see a finished Kerry Black T2. I am in queue to get an all black one from him that will have all the surfaces polished. I can’t wait to see the tubes reflecting off of the top!

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #12 of 139
Congrats Mulveling and Jigster
Those look so crazy good, what a nice build. Kerrry has been busy.
I bet the DAVE sounds great with that on the end of it. The DAC has a big influence on the final sound. This is near or at the top of what is possible on headphones I think, probably at the same level of the HE-1? I would love to hear either of these T2 beast.....

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #13 of 139
Congrats Mulveling and Jigster
Those look so crazy good, what a nice build. Kerrry has been busy.
I bet the DAVE sounds great with that on the end of it. The DAC has a big influence on the final sound. This is near or at the top of what is possible on headphones I think, probably at the same level of the HE-1? I would love to hear either of these T2 beast.....

I didn't get to listen to the HE-1 for long but I don't think it was better in any way than the SR-009 + BHSE or Carbon. Some people will prefer its sound stage but I don't think even that was outright better.

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #14 of 139
I really think I'm pretty close to done (as in: goodbye!) with digital sources; so annoying/glitchy (Amarra 4 Luxe on Mac), and the sound is often hashy/noisy and dynamically flat compared to good vinyl. I don't want to upset the T2 with that, lol. Not getting into screaming...er streaming. Not chasing 5-figures magic DACs and digital gear. I've hit full bore curmudgeon status even before my 40th birthday.

None of the vinyl maintenance pain points bother me at all anymore - in fact I enjoy them. I considered just boxing up my DAC to free up an extra shelf (for the T2 PSU, of course), but there's a small number of albums I like that I can't get on vinyl, and that sucks. My record collection has grown pretty good now. And over time I'll chase down more of the expensive rarities I crave :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back