t00bed amp for Grado HP2
Jun 11, 2004 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Fadamacka

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I am finally looking at buying an amp for my beloved Grado Hp2's. I have looked at the Gilmore lite, but I wanna try something with tubes. Is there any contenders out there that will match the hp2's pretty nicely? If not, i'll prolly be looking at SS amps. Same pricerange. My budget is at about 500 US dollars.

The source that I will be using is a Sony CDP-X3000ES with an Audiolab 8000DAC (Mark two)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Fadamacka

Jun 11, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 11
singlepower ppx3
icon10.gif

Check out donovansmiths ppx3 review and go_vtec's amp comparison that included the asl otl 32 and ppx3 tube amps. Read the NY and Maryland meet threads too. I have a review of the ppx3 and the 6cg7 prototype somewhere in the amp section too. This amp is around your price point and its a great sounding amp period.

Jun 11, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 11
I thought the HP2's I had were very good with my Singlepower amp. I see no reason why the PPX3 would not be the same. I'm sure there are some members with the PPX3 and the HP2 out there. Although I have not heard this model amp and the HP2 together I do think it is the best under 500.00 amp I've heard. (In a big way)

Jun 11, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 11
Hi again... I'm currently looking at a Melos SHA-1. (Seems like a very safe bet...) I'm in Norway though, so i would have to use a step down transformer. Would this degrade sound greatly? Is there an easy way to convert the melos from 110V to 220V?

Thanks,

Fadamacka

Jun 11, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 11
You can get the ppx3 in a 220 volt version.
icon10.gif
The melos is a nice amp but personally I would worry about the condition of the amps you might buy. These amps have been around for a long time and the parent company is no longer in business. There are people who can repair them like Carlo but the shipping expense alone would be a bundle from where you live. The sound quality of the melos cant be questioned but its longevity would be my concern. You can get a brand new, fully warranteed, all tube amp for the cost of a used melos.

Jun 13, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 11
Hi again...

I decided to go with a Gilmore V2, so talk about ignoring the tips!
eek.gif

Gilmore seems like a decent bet, so we'll see when it gets here. BTW, just for interest, how does this amp fare with the RS1? Thinking about buying a pair of those as well, to go with my HP1k.
orphsmile.gif

Jun 13, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 11
What do RS-1's cost in Norway? You might be paying such a premium for the RS-1’s that the Grado PS-1 Pros come out being a bargain.

I think in Europe RS-1’s are ridiculously expensive but the PS1’s are priced about the same if not less in Europe than they are in the USA.

Just a thought, if the above is true then the best value would be the PS-1 Pros?

Mitch

Jun 13, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fadamacka
Gilmore seems like a decent bet, so we'll see when it gets here. BTW, just for interest, how does this amp fare with the RS1? Thinking about buying a pair of those as well, to go with my HP1k.
orphsmile.gif

The Gilmore V2 sound great with RS-1s, it's a strong combination with any of the Grados including the PS-1.

Jun 13, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
What do RS-1's cost in Norway? You might be paying such a premium for the RS-1?s that the Grado PS-1 Pros come out being a bargain.

I think in Europe RS-1?s are ridiculously expensive but the PS1?s are priced about the same if not less in Europe than they are in the USA.

Just a thought, if the above is true then the best value would be the PS-1 Pros?

Mitch

Hehe, no i won't be buying the RS1 here in Europe. I'll prolly be getting em used, perhaps on Agon?

BTW, the price of PS1 is 1200, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back