T-PEOS H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid Impressions and Appreciation Thread
Mar 19, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #136 of 622
Hope you accept paypal w/o gift fee.....:wink:
as H20 said it should be ok.
with the one I have, it's ok with the shirt clip. you get some residual noise on the remote cable for it bobbing above the y split, but it wasn't bad for running for me today (no chin guard on the aus tour review unit)

the under the tshirt way is also a way.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #137 of 622
Anyone know a good replacement cable for the H-200/300s? Preferably ones with little microphonics. My original ones are beginning to show signs of wear.

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #138 of 622
I should be getting these tomorrow. Korea to LA in 4 days!? 
beerchug.gif

Anyway, any sonical differences between the colorful cord vs the mic'ed cord? 

Mar 20, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #139 of 622
I should be getting these tomorrow. Korea to LA in 4 days!? :beerchug:

Anyway, any sonical differences between the colorful cord vs the mic'ed cord? 

Personally I prefer the mic cable though haven't done drastic amounts of A/Bing. I tried my SPC cable from H -200 although didn't like the effects. Made them sound to aggressive. H-300 is semi laid back imo, it's more a semi delicate presentation with excellent bass quality backing it up. For rock and metal they might be a bit thin or light weight, I like them with for example Taylor Swift's song 22, the clarity and how 'clear' they sound is certainly admirable. You really don't need them loud to absorb them.

H-300 very much sound like a vamped up B2 / DBA-02 with some crazy kick ass accurate dynamic driver down stairs.

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #140 of 622
I just received my pair of H-300s the other day and have been A/B'ing them extensively against my RE-272, HE-500, and ATH-M50.  I will admit that going in, I was hoping for (without any reason to do so), something akin to the RE-272 with a high quality / stronger bass presence.  Here are my brief impressions thus far.

the HIGHS (emphasis added):

Full disclosure - I used my RE-272 and HE-500 on a daily basis before this arrived.  Call me spoiled by the HiFiMAN house sound, but the H-300 is downright harsh and sibilant in comparison (even the exaggerated highs of the ATH-M50 are tame by comparison).  I think the RE-272 and HE-500 are every bit as detailed, defined, and extended at the top, but provide a smoothed out pleasant sparkle.  Using the included tips (both foam and silicon), the 8-9k spike (ouch!) is a borderline deal-breaker for someone like me accustomed to the HiFiMAN sound.  Luckily, I've been able to tame this down considerably using some spare Comply T-400 tips I had on hand.  Out of the stock tips, the black silicon tips with the colored cores seem to do the best job at taming the spike.

That said, this pair is significantly brighter / hotter than all of the above sets.

Mids:

The RE-272 and HE-500 have much more body, thickness, and fluidity to the mids.  This might not come as a surprise to people familiar with HiFiMAN.  What the H-300 lacks in body, it seems to make up in clarity.  Compared to the RE-272, the mids sound much clearer, and exhibits better separation in the mids.  The clarity almost reaches the levels of the HE-500, but is much thinner in comparison.  I say it "seems" to make up for the thinness with clarity because I'm not currently certain whether this apparent clarity is due to the stronger top-end presence, or if the H-300 is actually besting the venerable RE-272 in terms of clarity and airiness.

Lows:
Wow, you guys weren't making this stuff up.  It lives up to the hype!  The lows are spectacularly rendered.  Could not be happier about this.  Tight, quick, resolving, extended, they meet all the claims in this thread.  I think the lows are almost, ever so close, to the quality of the lows in the orthodynamic HE-500.  During all my sine-wave sweep testing, I could not stop marvelling at how close the H-300 was to the HE-500.  I do believe the HE-500 is slightly more extended, and gives more of a sense of definition, but only slightly.  The presentation of the low end is not overwhelming either, I'd say just right.

So obviously, this paints a picture of the H-300 as being quite U-shaped, as others have reported.

Relative to each other, the RE-272 seems about as ruler flat as it gets.  The HE-500 again seems flatter, and much more mid-centric.  The ATH-M50 (I think it's a little outclassed here) sounds like it has a similar sound signature (with tamer highs), but is bested by the H-300 in every area in terms of sound quality.

I really wish they brought the mids forward a bit and given them a bit more body and tamed the 8-9k spike a bit.  However, right now, with the Comply tips, the highs are just about right, and only sound harsh on very few songs in my collection now.

That said, I prefer the H-300 over the other pairs in this comparison for pop-ish, electronic, more modern alt/indie/pop rock, certain acoustic music.  Vocal, jazz, instrumental, classic rock, live music, classical, are tipped in favor of the HiFiMAN pairs in my collection.  For this reason, I see the H-300 taking the place of the ATH-M50 in my collection.

Just my 2 cents.  YMMV.

Source info for comparison:
Home:  ODAC standalone into O2 amp
Portable:  Samsung Galaxy S4.

Misc:

I saw a post earlier asking about sound differences between cables, and I don't notice any difference when running from my Galaxy S4 (black mic cable won't work on O2).

I also noticed some mild driver flex when using the supplied red foam tips.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #143 of 622
Yeah they will definitely be too sharp up top for some people, but I've been surprised at how well I've gotten used to it. With the right tips and the right source, it can be tamed to more of an exciting clarity and sparkle and less a stabbing pain in the ear :)

And I definitely agree that more body in the mids would be nice, but I think a bass or warmth boost in some players can really help in this regard. On Win 7 with my DAC I use the Bass Management sound enhancement to good effect.

But hey to say that they don't quite match up to $600 open cans is a nice criticism to have :)

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #145 of 622
Yeah they will definitely be too sharp up top for some people, but I've been surprised at how well I've gotten used to it. With the right tips and the right source, it can be tamed to more of an exciting clarity and sparkle and less a stabbing pain in the ear :)

And I definitely agree that more body in the mids would be nice, but I think a bass or warmth boost in some players can really help in this regard. On Win 7 with my DAC I use the Bass Management sound enhancement to good effect.

But hey to say that they don't quite match up to $600 open cans is a nice criticism to have :)

By no means did I mean for the comparison to be a criticism. If an IEM dynamic driver can rival the low end of a highly regarded orthodynamic, I think that's saying something special is going on here.

Also, as an update to my previous post, the resolution of the H-300 in the mids definitely rival the RE272. It's apparent in rap (latest genre that I've been comparing) / lower mid male vocals. Although the H-300 sounds thinner, it at least matches, if not surpasses the RE272 in clarity and resolution. Just the definition, aggressiveness, and grain of the voice is better resolved by the H-300. Driver type differences maybe? Example - Biggie's voice might sound thick, lush and forward on the RE272, but the H-300 captures the grainy deep growl that is glossed over in the RE272. And the H-300 sounds so airy and transparent (again possibly the the high end presence), that the H-300 might beat the RE272 at its own game.

I think I sounded more critical than I meant to be. I'm very pleased with the highs minus the sibilance at the 8-9k region (yes my Complys address this like 95.536748936% of the songs I listen to - lol just pointing out how unscientific I'm being). The aggressive resolution and more forward presence are a welcome change to the "step on nobody's toes" / inoffensive RE272.

So you can see aside from the spike and mid freq body, these nitpicks are mostly sound sig preferences.

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #146 of 622
Nice review - so from all the reports so far it sounds incredibly bright up top...

This is all relative. Brighter than m50 which are regarded by some to have exaggerated highs, might be useful. But being brighter than what I consider a flat sounding RE272 and slightly mid-centric HE-500 doesn't say much so I apologize. Maybe someone with a GR07 (read many times that it can be sibilant) or twfk based iem can compare more usefully?

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #150 of 622
http://www.head-fi.org/products/t-peos-h-300-3-way-hybrid/reviews/10702 one more review for the road , before the tour unit goes to @d marc0
biggrin.gif
(tho at this stage, no one will read anything radically new, since I procrastinated about a week too long on it
biggrin.gif
)

Great review! The EQing of the 8k helped..

With that being said, I received the H300s and have been comparing them vs the DN1000s. Much of the reviews that have been posted coincide with what I hear-

1. Brightness and transparency in the highs
  2. The slightly recessed mids - as svyr mentioned it, dry would be the best description of them. However, they definitely excel in clarity and compensates a bit for it's dry/reference grade quality.
  3. Awesome, and probably  THE BEST low end i've heard in an IEM. The bass hits perfectly well, beautifully textured, and would easily satisfy any bassheads craving. 
  4. Instrument separation is a bit better than the DN1000s
  5. Hard to judge if the H300 has a wider soundstage due to the increased clarity, but is definitely improved from the H200 from what I recall from them.

My gripes about this IEM are the dry/slightly recessed mids and the treble spikes/brightness. The mids, while definitely very clear, are more on the analytical side then anything.Coupled with less body and lush in the vocals Its a bit more difficult for me to get immersed in the music than it is with the DN1000s. ,  The treble spikes are definitely apparent ,though EQ does help a lot.

Despite my gripes, I think this is a very good IEM. The combination of the awesome bass, soundstage/separation and clarity truly make this a unique experience. 

If you were to make the mids a bit more lush and forward, and tame the treble spike a bit, it'd be the perfect IEM for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back