T-Mobile G1 with USB DAC
Nov 29, 2008 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ezzieyguywuf

100+ Head-Fier
My father has one of these nifty phones, and I noticed that the headphone out is via a usb connection with an adaptor. I was wondering if this could be used to connect to a usb DAC for perfect, digital audio blissfullness?
Wolfgang

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #3 of 15
There needs to be software present on the operating system of the device to allow it to find and install driver's for a USB DAC to work -- ie it needs a PC, UMPC, computer of some kind with a robust OS.

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 15
well the OS is open source right? so wouldn't it be relatively simple to implement this?

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by djh01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely not, short of some hacked Linux kernel or something. Will probably never happen.

yeah, google's android OS is open source (based on Linux kernel 2.6) so i don't think it should really be an issue.

Android

the limiting factor would be demand. i'm not sure how many people would really want or use this.

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 15
Yes I was going to say the OS and all the software for it are completely open source. I don't see it being much of an issue to write custom drivers. And if this was possible it would make for an amazing little portable player
smily_headphones1.gif
In fact there are already sound drivers for USB DAC's and what not for linux so really a lot of work wouldn't need to be done other then porting them and what not after all android is a linux based OS.

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 15
and how hot would it be to run Rockbox off the G1 on like a virtual machine. are these things possible or am I reaching for the stars?

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 15
hehehe im still waiting with bated breath to run a pico/total bithead dac/amp off of a nokia n810 tablet. Theres a long running thread on headfi for the nokia tablets... maybe kconder can help us.....

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 15
The Viliv S5 is a UMPC/MID and it is running Windows XP which would auto install drivers. Anything running Windows XP would so it is not quite a fair comparison when compared to any thing with Android atm. As far as I have seen no one has attempted to make us of the USB port (besides recharging and syncing obviously) for anything outside of tethering.

Also there is the issue of most portable USB DACs recieving power from the unit it is attached to to run.

I own the G1 and it is nice for what it does, but this most likely will never happen with a phone that cannot be hooked up to a wall for charging at the same time the USB DAC is taking power from the phone since the mini USB port is for both on the phone.

BTW, nice thread resurrection! It was almost a year old!

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 15
bringing this thread out from sleep.
smily_headphones1.gif
Everyone who owns an android device on this forum should star this bug. USB hosting is a key feature for the android platform to have before being able to have usb DAC supported. Let's try to get google's attention on this one.

Quote:

Also there is the issue of most portable USB DACs recieving power from the unit it is attached to to run.

It's always possible for the devices to power themselves, like the iBasso D10. Anyways, been wanting this feature for a while; thought I should give this thread a bump.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #13 of 15
I always thought all devices like the D10 draw power from the USB to at least power the DAC. The battery power only powers the AMP section I thought?

Either way, it is not a question if it would be powered but more like supported. No device drivers have been coded for something like this on non-robust phone OSes.

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always thought all devices like the D10 draw power from the USB to at least power the DAC. The battery power only powers the AMP section I thought?

I think both sections could be powered by battery. Its written on the iBasso website. Anyways, I agree that where the power comes from is unimportant.

Quote:

Either way, it is not a question if it would be powered but more like supported. No device drivers have been coded for something like this on non-robust phone OSes.

Exactly, that's why we should push the issue to the top in the bug list, so that google might pay more attention to it and implement it. Now, I'm not sure where the actual driver (for pcm2707 based dacs like the ibasso d10 and gamma1) is located, I think it is part of alsa. Not too sure about that. Since people has been able to get alsa working on android, if we can have usb hosting, I think there is a good chance that we can get usb dac support too. After all, android is linux based, why cant we reuse some code?

Anyways, it'd be nice if people could click on the star on google code page. Let google know that there are those of us who'd like these features.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back